Speculation: Draft Thread 2018-19: Part XI (No Kakko/Hughes Talk) - Post Your Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
'Part of the business': Devils GM Ray Shero on Taylor Hall, the No. 1 pick and more

ESPN: Was there an advantage in evaluating Jack Hughes, considering your ties to USA Hockey and his having come up through that system?

Shero:
I don't think so. I spent time with Kakko as well. Besides, our scouting staff -- Tom Sinisalo scouts for us in Finland -- I have a lot of contacts in Finland that have known this young man growing up. I know people that played with him. That coached him. The same could be said of Jack Hughes. I don't think there's an particular advantage to [knowing] the American program.

he is completely right and I think the personal relationship gets overrated by fans...but I don't think that tells you anything about what he is thinking about the pick. he just doesn't want people to think he is making the lazy decision and going with the guy he knows. if he takes hughes it because he thinks hughes is better

Reactions: Bluenote13

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
he is completely right and I think the personal relationship gets overrated by fans...but I don't think that tells you anything about what he is thinking about the pick. he just doesn't want people to think he is making the lazy decision and going with the guy he knows. if he takes hughes it because he thinks hughes is better

Its good to show the everyday fan that these kids just didn't show up on the radar yesterday.

Years of scouting go into these decisions.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The draft has started. Chicago is on the clock. And the Ranger fans are sitting on their hands until the Buffalo pick comes to see if there is a trade announcement.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Outside of maybe flipping Byram and Dach, I think the final TSN mock is pretty damn good.

I also think, if the Rangers should happen to find themselves sitting in the 8 spot, I think that pick might just be Cozens or Krebs. And not because TSN has them at 8th and 9th respectively.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Outside of maybe flipping Byram and Dach, I think the final TSN mock is pretty damn good.

I also think, if the Rangers should happen to find themselves sitting in the 8 spot, I think that pick might just be Cozens or Krebs. And not because TSN has them at 8th and 9th respectively.
We've known for awhile and I think you've mentioned that had we stayed at 6 or lower, Cozens is someone we'd look at quite strongly.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We've known for awhile and I think you've mentioned that had we stayed at 6 or lower, Cozens is someone we'd look at quite strongly.

I know they like Cozens a lot. I know they like Krebs a lot (based on conversations a few weeks ago).

I don't know if those guys are the guy they'd take there, but I know they'd be strong candidates for the Rangers.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I know they like Cozens a lot. I know they like Krebs a lot (based on conversations a few weeks ago).

I don't know if those guys are the guy they'd take there, but I know they'd be strong candidates for the Rangers.
Who do you think they would have taken instead if they were 6 or lower. Someone like Zegras?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It looks like Heinola should be 23rd? It's funny, because I specifically scrolled down to find him.

His stats and scouting reports shout 'middle of the first' to me, but he is consistently in the mid 20s instead.
Say la vee, I’m not editing that shit again. :laugh:

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Probably alone in this line of thinking but I like Krebs a smidge more than Cozens. I've just never seen the creativity out of Cozens that helps me see a top line center.
Krebs injury for me is a bit of a red flag. I know it's a torn Achilles (not fully torn) isn't a deal breaker, but that' something that could wear down over time and fully rupture.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Mattias Norlinder would be a wonderful pick, a great skater with superb reading of the game and impressive offensive and defensive abilities, he is an overager who outproduced almost all of last years second rounders, would love to pick him up in round two.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Probably alone in this line of thinking but I like Krebs a smidge more than Cozens. I've just never seen the creativity out of Cozens that helps me see a top line center.

Looks like a Rick Nash type winger at the Pro level to me. Great skater, snipes his shots, but I don't see a natural Center. But who knows, I could be wrong.

Krebs is a good all around player, just not sure he's a Center either. And the freak injury doesn't help matters. Having said that, I still make take him over Cozens.

In the end, not a terrible problem to have, we will gain a nice asset.

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Krebs injury for me is a bit of a red flag. I know it's a torn Achilles (not fully torn) isn't a deal breaker, but that' something that could wear down over time and fully rupture.

It's certainly a concern but not sure I'd pass on him because of it. Karlsson came back from it without issue.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Looks like a Rick Nash type winger at the Pro level to me. Great skater, snipes his shots, but I don't see a natural Center. But who knows, I could be wrong.

Krebs is a good all around player, just not sure he's a Center either. And the freak injury doesn't help matters. Having said that, I still make take him over Cozens.

In the end, not a terrible problem to have, we will gain a nice asset.

I agree on Cozens for sure but I see more of the traits in Krebs that I want to see from a pivot in the NHL. Ability to control the pace and create plays. Both are great in their own end though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad