Speculation: Draft Thread 2018-19: Part X (No Kakko/Hughes Talk) - Post Your Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Gorton is flying to Vancouver today, with that some face to face discussions can begin to happen with GMS. We have quite a few useful middle6 and bottom6 players available, not to mention Kreider and Shattenkirk. We have all the pieces necessary to get some picks back if we want them. I think with retention Namestnikov should garner at least a 2nd but thats just my opinion on his value.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Have a feeling Vesey and Namestnikov are dealt. Buchnevich stays unless he's packaged with something for another 1st rounder.

Nothing but my own speculation. May even just be gas.

Vesey, like Pionk, is a goner. It's just a matter of when.

Names is a little more up in there for right now. The Rangers like his versatility, and like Strome, he gives them options. It comes down to how many options you need and at what cost? Because right now Strome and Names are costing them a shade over $7 million.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY

Names is a little more up in there for right now. The Rangers like his versatility, and like Strome, he gives them options. It comes down to how many options you need and at what cost? Because right now Strome and Names are costing them a shade over $7 million.
I think that last bit should trouble management. Theres no reason to pay that much for two bottom sixers we arent the Islanders. They have both been pretty versatile, but at least one of them should really be moved.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

You hit the nail on the head in terms of why I think Namestnikov is going to be dealt. Frankly, he makes too much for what he brings. In terms of a versatile player that can play up and down the line up, I like Strome more.

Maybe Edmonton sees how Namestnikov played in Tampa with Stamkos and takes a flyer to put him with McDavid. Maybe a bigger deal that includes Kreider and the 8th overall?

Regardless, I get the sense that Gorton is going to try to clear some more cap space for...something. I just don't know what that something is yet.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Gorton is flying to Vancouver today, with that some face to face discussions can begin to happen with GMS. We have quite a few useful middle6 and bottom6 players available, not to mention Kreider and Shattenkirk. We have all the pieces necessary to get some picks back if we want them. I think with retention Namestnikov should garner at least a 2nd but thats just my opinion on his value.
I wondered about this. I mean, that's where I want him, but do the teams not send representatives to the awards in Vegas? Do they – like me – not really care about the NHL's attempt to fabricate its own "Oscars"?

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think that last bit should trouble management. Theres no reason to pay that much for two bottom sixers we arent the Islanders. They have both been pretty versatile, but at least one of them should really be moved.
They're both on the last years of their current deals, however. There's no huge urgency to move them unless you need the space for something else. In fact, they become more dealable if you move them closer to the deadline, because their cap hits reduce with every day once the season begins.

(Not saying they won't be moved during the offseason; just pointing out why there's no real urgency to do it immediately.)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You hit the nail on the head in terms of why I think Namestnikov is going to be dealt. Frankly, he makes too much for what he brings. In terms of a versatile player that can play up and down the line up, I like Strome more.

Maybe Edmonton sees how Namestnikov played in Tampa with Stamkos and takes a flyer to put him with McDavid. Maybe a bigger deal that includes Kreider and the 8th overall?

Regardless, I get the sense that Gorton is going to try to clear some more cap space for...something. I just don't know what that something is yet.

In talking with people there's definitely a sense within the organization, and abroad, that Gorton is not done. At least not if he can help it.

Kreider and Buch are the names that generate the most interest. Vesey has more interest than some would think, but it remains to be seen if he's a part of a bigger deal, or his own smaller deal.

For example, Buffalo likes both Buch and Vesey. Are they a potential trade partner? Maybe. Especially if they like what they have at center and view this as the year they want to add wingers to the mix.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
In talking with people there's definitely a sense within the organization, and abroad, that Gorton is not done. At least not if he can help it.

Kreider and Buch are the names that generate the most interest. Vesey has more interest than some would think, but it remains to be seen if he's a part of a bigger deal, or his own smaller deal.

For example, Buffalo likes both Buch and Vesey. Are they a potential trade partner? Maybe. Especially if they like what they have at center and view this as the year they want to add wingers to the mix.
I wonder what Buffalo would even offer. I’d want 31+

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
BUF needs to add to their forward corps, so I can't see a swap taking place.

Both Sobotka and Rodriques have Ranger ties with JD and Quinn, but BUF doesn't have 12 NHL forwards at the moment, and a ton of cap space with a deep pocketed owner.

BUF's biggest issue is that they can't draw free agents, and that's a lifestyle choice from player's perspective... where some guys just won't go there. Unless they grossly overpay, it's not going to change.

They haven't drafted well... so their best bet is to turn their picks into NHLers.

31 overall? That would be great, but Jimmy Vesey, as sick as he is, isn't going to get that imo. Jimmy and Names? I would be ecstatic, but I see a seperate deal for a guy like Vesey who has cost certainty for 15 goals.

There is value for a player like that.

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Hey will definitely try I'm sure...its whether or not someone else wants to play. Things got A LOT tougher now that we don't have the 20 to dangle in front to move into another top 10.
But that’s ok. We got a #1 RD! Gorton is amazing.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
BUF needs to add to their forward corps, so I can't see a swap taking place.

Both Sobotka and Rodriques have Ranger ties with JD and Quinn, but BUF doesn't have 12 NHL forwards at the moment, and a ton of cap space with a deep pocketed owner.

BUF's biggest issue is that they can't draw free agents, and that's a lifestyle choice from player's perspective... where some guys just won't go there. Unless they grossly overpay, it's not going to change.

They haven't drafted well... so their best bet is to turn their picks into NHLers.

31 overall? That would be great, but Jimmy Vesey, as sick as he is, isn't going to get that imo. Jimmy and Names? I would be ecstatic, but I see a seperate deal for a guy like Vesey who has cost certainty for 15 goals.

There is value for a player like that.
Do you think Buch can draw 31?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Again, no idea of what you are referring to. My expectations were that of a first line forward. That is what I got. What is there to be upset about?

Who said anything about being upset?

So, you believe that Kreider ended up becoming what was expected of him 4 years ago?

Almost everyone here said he was young and will improve greatly. He never did.

Those were the overwhelming expectations expressed here. I disagreed and many here told me I would turn out to be wrong.

Do you feel he improved greatly or that he was a virtual flatline throughout his career as a Ranger?

I have asked this a few times. I get that you're not disappointed with how he's turned out, but do you believe he has become what the general expectation was 4 years ago or not?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Buchnevich+Vesey for 7th
Kreider+Vesey for 7th
Vesey+59 for 31st

Pick one

3rd one shouldn't even be considered...you make the deal for #7 and the question between option 1 & 2 is who gets more value in a separate deal buchnevich or kreider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad