Speculation: Draft Thread 2018-19: Part X (No Kakko/Hughes Talk) - Post Your Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yeah give me la Pistola at the Dallas pick (Doro is a pipe dream...but hey if you told me we would be getting Kakko, Fox and Trouba in one offseason I would have said you were nuts)

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
2019 BOLD PREDICTIONS

There are a lot of ways draft day could go. Specific needs and smokescreen tactics will be plentiful beforehand, but this draft (just like any year) will be exciting!! Here are some bold predictions that I think could happen leading up to and on draft day....

Note: I did make this list in advance changing scenarios left and right before two massive deals went down today. I want it to be known that I had the Islanders ultimately trading their 1st in 2019, 2nd in 2020 and Ho-Sang to Winnipeg for Trouba. I did indeed had Karlsson extending with San Jose, albeit, less term.

Without further ado....

Trade Rumors
1. Phil Kessel WILL get moved out from Pittsburgh and it'll be out west.
2. Edmonton WILL move Lucic's contract, but with No. 8 overall as the price.
3. Vegas WILL trade the rights to William Karlsson and Reilly Smith, respectively, to the Metro Division.
4. Jets WON'T trade Tyler Myers and Nikolaj Ehlers.
5. Toronto WON't trade Nikita Zaitsev, but will trade Patrick Marleau out west.
6. Kasperi Kapanen is the only RFA offer sheeted.
7. Corey Perry WON'T be moved and will retire as an Anaheim Duck.
8. Capitals WILL trade Niklas Backstrom to a team in the Central Division.
9. Boston WILL trade Tuuka Rask and sign Sergei Bobrovsky during Free Agency.
10. Rangers WILL trade Jimmy Vesey, Chris Kreider and Pavel Buchnevich before July 1.

Draft
1. Vasili Podkolzin goes in the top 5.
2. Spencer Knight goes in the top 10.
3. Raphael Lavoie goes in the top 15.
4. Moritz Seider goes in the top 20.
5. The biggest risers in the 1st round will be Ville Heinola and Ryan Suzuki.
6. The biggest fallers in the 1st round will be Bobby Brink and Arthur Kaliyev.
7. Phillip Broberg will go in the late 1st round.
8. Peyton Krebs WON'T drop out of the top 10.
9. Ryan Johnson, Egor Afansayev and Karl Henriksson will be 1st round picks on Friday
10. Alex Newhook, Sam Poulin and Connor McMichael will fall out of the 1st round.
11. Rangers will pick Ryder Donovan later in the draft.
12. A complete unknown will be selected in the 1st 50 picks.

With the 2nd overall pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.... The New York Rangers select....
KAAPO KAKKO!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to ask any questions!!
Some of those are definitely bold, but the Jets not trading Myers isn’t because he’s a UFA:P

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
2019 BOLD PREDICTIONS

There are a lot of ways draft day could go. Specific needs and smokescreen tactics will be plentiful beforehand, but this draft (just like any year) will be exciting!! Here are some bold predictions that I think could happen leading up to and on draft day....

Note: I did make this list in advance changing scenarios left and right before two massive deals went down today. I want it to be known that I had the Islanders ultimately trading their 1st in 2019, 2nd in 2020 and Ho-Sang to Winnipeg for Trouba. I did indeed had Karlsson extending with San Jose, albeit, less term.

Without further ado....

Trade Rumors
1. Phil Kessel WILL get moved out from Pittsburgh and it'll be out west.
2. Edmonton WILL move Lucic's contract, but with No. 8 overall as the price.
3. Vegas WILL trade the rights to William Karlsson and Reilly Smith, respectively, to the Metro Division.
4. Jets WON'T trade Tyler Myers and Nikolaj Ehlers.
5. Toronto WON't trade Nikita Zaitsev, but will trade Patrick Marleau out west.
6. Kasperi Kapanen is the only RFA offer sheeted.
7. Corey Perry WON'T be moved and will retire as an Anaheim Duck.
8. Capitals WILL trade Niklas Backstrom to a team in the Central Division.
9. Boston WILL trade Tuuka Rask and sign Sergei Bobrovsky during Free Agency.
10. Rangers WILL trade Jimmy Vesey, Chris Kreider and Pavel Buchnevich before July 1.

Draft
1. Vasili Podkolzin goes in the top 5.
2. Spencer Knight goes in the top 10.
3. Raphael Lavoie goes in the top 15.
4. Moritz Seider goes in the top 20.
5. The biggest risers in the 1st round will be Ville Heinola and Ryan Suzuki.
6. The biggest fallers in the 1st round will be Bobby Brink and Arthur Kaliyev.
7. Phillip Broberg will go in the late 1st round.
8. Peyton Krebs WON'T drop out of the top 10.
9. Ryan Johnson, Egor Afansayev and Karl Henriksson will be 1st round picks on Friday
10. Alex Newhook, Sam Poulin and Connor McMichael will fall out of the 1st round.
11. Rangers will pick Ryder Donovan later in the draft.
12. A complete unknown will be selected in the 1st 50 picks.

With the 2nd overall pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.... The New York Rangers select....
KAAPO KAKKO!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to ask any questions!!
:eek:

This would ASTOUND me. Would love to hear your thinking.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
an interesting tidbit on bobby brink from the bobfather

- If Brink — the gritty USHL scoring winger — isn’t one of the best stories of this whole draft class, it’s hard to imagine who tops him. Brink’s Dad Andy, owing to his great passion for the history of hockey, bestowed on his eldest son the name Bobby Orr Brink. He pondered whether to name him Bobby Orr Brink or Bobby Clarke Brink. If you think that’s a cool story, it gets even better. Bobby’s 16-year-old brother’s full name is Joseph Henry Brink and goes by Joe. Their 14-year-old brother’s full name is Henri Richard Brink. If you’re familiar with Montreal Canadian history — and Andy Brink is — you would know that Maurice (Rocket) Richard’s full name is Joseph Henri Maurice Richard. So Andy Brink went with Joseph and the English version of Henri for his middle son as a tribute to the Rocket and then went full Pocket Rocket Henri Richard Brink for the youngest boy, although Henri is pronounced Henry.

Reactions: Lion Hound

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well....our 1st round excitement just got a lot more boring! Hopefully Kreider goes bye bye and we add another soon!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think Gorton 100% gets back into the 1st round now by trading Kreider or something else.
Hey will definitely try I'm sure...its whether or not someone else wants to play. Things got A LOT tougher now that we don't have the 20 to dangle in front to move into another top 10.

Reactions: GregSirico

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Does losing #20 make the Rangers less or more aggressive in moving someone at the draft?

I kinda feel like it gives them more license to really push things to get Kakko and another top pick. #20 would’ve made that easier but there could’ve been some overpayment including Kreider with #20.

Now that you have Trouba in the bag for that pick you can use the second rounder and some other assets like Vesey, Names, Strome, Shatty etc to include in the deal and help open up some needed cap space. (If someone will go for that)

I’m a little bummed we won’t get to see who falls to 20 but if Gorts intention was to try and move up anyway, you might be able to do that AND have Trouba too.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The part I bolded — what’s your reasoning as to why Newhook would drop all the way out of the first?

Unless it was a typo?

Lolol, my fault. Didn't see that....

Before I start, let me first say that I could see this happening. I could, also, very well see him selected in the teens. There are a few reasons why I have him going out of the 1st round, though. Firstly, his mental. Composure is very even keel, but can get hot during frustrating moments of the game. It's not a huge knock, but have noticed that it does take him out of games, at times. Secondly, his defensive decision making is a bit off. I think that it could use honing in the NCAA. Boston College should help that. But using sticks in lanes and not turning over the puck is something to look out for. He does like to have the puck on his stick, after all. Next, I think his neutral zone play (as a center) could be more assertive. With a guy that plays fast and is fast, I want to see him maneuver around more in the open ice. Kind of similar to what Ryan O'Reilly did with the Blues in the final. Always on a pivot and looking out for that cross-ice pass. Newhook definitely has the hand-eye and speed for it, but reaching for pucks shouldn't be a thing when you have all that gas in the engine. Hopeful it translates within development. Also, the lack of international exposure will frighten some, even after having a pretty solid U-18's. He's had the chances and never succeeded until last month. That added along with the "talent" level of the BCHL, it's tough to gauge how offensive he could really be in the pro level. The NCAA will be a great test to find out. Lastly, there was a podcast I heard recently from hockeyprospect.com Director of Scouting, Mark Edwards. He discussed his time at the combine and shared thoughts with fellow scouts taking part in watching the physical testing. In talking about Newhook, he came away surprised that some scouts had him in the mid-teens and some scouts had him in the early/mid 2nd round. That's a bit of a leap in regards to NHL scouting minds. Kind of similar how Dorofeyev isn't regarded as highly as most anticipated. Leaves for speculation....

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Lolol, my fault. Didn't see that....

Before I start, let me first say that I could see this happening. I could, also, very well see him selected in the teens. There are a few reasons why I have him going out of the 1st round, though. Firstly, his mental. Composure is very even keel, but can get hot during frustrating moments of the game. It's not a huge knock, but have noticed that it does take him out of games, at times. Secondly, his defensive decision making is a bit off. I think that it could use honing in the NCAA. Boston College should help that. But using sticks in lanes and not turning over the puck is something to look out for. He does like to have the puck on his stick, after all. Next, I think his neutral zone play (as a center) could be more assertive. With a guy that plays fast and is fast, I want to see him maneuver around more in the open ice. Kind of similar to what Ryan O'Reilly did with the Blues in the final. Always on a pivot and looking out for that cross-ice pass. Newhook definitely has the hand-eye and speed for it, but reaching for pucks shouldn't be a thing when you have all that gas in the engine. Hopeful it translates within development. Also, the lack of international exposure will frighten some, even after having a pretty solid U-18's. He's had the chances and never succeeded until last month. That added along with the "talent" level of the BCHL, it's tough to gauge how offensive he could really be in the pro level. The NCAA will be a great test to find out. Lastly, there was a podcast I heard recently from hockeyprospect.com Director of Scouting, Mark Edwards. He discussed his time at the combine and shared thoughts with fellow scouts taking part in watching the physical testing. In talking about Newhook, he came away surprised that some scouts had him in the mid-teens and some scouts had him in the early/mid 2nd round. That's a bit of a leap in regards to NHL scouting minds. Kind of similar how Dorofeyev isn't regarded as highly as most anticipated. Leaves for speculation....

Joey, according to @ManUtdTobbe, Newhook is someone the Rangers would trade up for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad