Speculation: Draft Talk, 2018: Picks 1, 32, 94, 117, 125, 156, 187

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
There’s gotta be a reason why Wilde was passed 31 times and isn’t going to college next year.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
So now that everything played out in the 1st round who do you all want at 32? I don't know most of the names in this range, I had my eyes on Foudy but he went at 18.

Akil Thomas? Bode Wilde? Jesse Ylonen? Jake Wise? Are names I see pop up and have watched a bit of.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
So now that everything played out in the 1st round who do you all want at 32? I don't know most of the names in this range, I had my eyes on Foudy but he went at 18.

Akil Thomas? Bode Wilde? Jesse Ylonen? Jake Wise? Are names I see pop up and have watched a bit of.
I wanted Hallander here, but you have to take Serron Noel if you like him or trade down with someone who does.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Akil Thomas, he will convert to wing and we will have a speed demon who isn't afraid to goto the front of the net with good hockey IQ and elite playmaking ability.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Except he’s not very good. I often think how often Bogosian has been injured has given everyone rose colored vision of what he played like when healthy. It was particularly impressive.

When Bogo is healthy, there's 2 versions of him. Top-pair, beast Bogo.......and bottom pair cringe-worthy Bogo. It's a mystery which one you get.

If Wilde is that inconsistent, I pass.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
When Bogo is healthy, there's 2 versions of him. Top-pair, beast Bogo.......and bottom pair cringe-worthy Bogo. It's a mystery which one you get.

If Wilde is that inconsistent, I pass.
I guess. But it’s worth noting that a second round pick even having a bogo career would be a success by most standards.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
There is nothing majorly wrong with Bogo if he could stay healthy. Try again.

This is hilarious.

Sorry, you must have mistunderstood.

I was referring to Zack Bogosian, of the Thrashers/Jets/Sabres (2008-2018) relative to the type of game being played in the NHL circa 2018.

Reactions: Husko

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
So... Noel was pretty highly ranked right before the draft, but I see skating and high end skill are seen as some weaknesses for him. I'm hearing mumblings that Bode Wilde was on teams DO NOT DRAFT list. I don't put much stock into it, but if we don't take him and he continues to fall for a while, it will be interesting. McLeod/Thomas are also fallers that could be interesting picks in the early second. Then there are guys like Wise, Berggren, McIssac that were kind of expected to be there. GMJB and co have plenty to think about before tomorrow morning.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Jett Woo seems like a guy that checks a lot of boxes. Speed, competes, hockey iq. Seems to lack a decent shot and isn’t going to dangle, but right shot D are so hard to find, and he is, by all accounts, a very good defensive defenseman.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I wanted Hallander here, but you have to take Serron Noel if you like him or trade down with someone who does.

Why do you have to trade down if you like him, or even trade down if someone does? I get the reason why you would do it, but you don’t have to. Just pick the guy and move on, or pick another guy like Hallander and let the team that likes him deal with the issue of tying get to get him.

Once they are picked, they are all NHL prospects, they all have to do the same thing. Develop and show they belong. Where they are ranked or drafted means NOTHING at the end of the day.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Why do you have to trade down if you like him, or even trade down if someone does? I get the reason why you would do it, but you don’t have to. Just pick the guy and move on, or pick another guy like Hallander and let the team that likes him deal with the issue of tying get to get him.

Once they are picked, they are all NHL prospects, they all have to do the same thing. Develop and show they belong. Where they are ranked or drafted means NOTHING at the end of the day.
Yeah, but McKenzie's rankings are a composite of team scout rankings, which means some teams likely see him as a top 15 guy. If one of those teams is calling, they likely would bring a pretty decent offer to land somebody that was that high on their board. That's the point I was trying to make.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
So... Noel was pretty highly ranked right before the draft, but I see skating and high end skill are seen as some weaknesses for him. I'm hearing mumblings that Bode Wilde was on teams DO NOT DRAFT list. I don't put much stock into it, but if we don't take him and he continues to fall for a while, it will be interesting. McLeod/Thomas are also fallers that could be interesting picks in the early second. Then there are guys like Wise, Berggren, McIssac that were kind of expected to be there. GMJB and co have plenty to think about before tomorrow morning.

Skating is not a weakness for Noel.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If they want a RD I would take Calen Addison before Jett Woo.
Yeah, that's probably right. I just think this team has nobody in the system besides Borgen and Dahlin who really takes care of his own end. But we also lack that explosive breakout machine on the right side too. I hear a lot about 'today's' game, but if you draft for today's game, you will be behind the curve by the time your prospects make the league. The fast Sabres in 2006 exposed the 'yesterday's NHL' Flyers. And then 1 year later, Anaheim out-muscled everyone to the cup.

It goes in cycles. And Jett Woo isn't slow. And he might have untapped offensive potential, given that he had a rough year with injuries and still ended up with 25 pts in 44 games. And he's a lockdown defender.

I honestly don't know which way to go. So many options available, but I think it has to come down to:
RHD
Speed and skill on the wing.

Need to address one of those.

Reactions: hizzoner

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Yeah, that's probably right. I just think this team has nobody in the system besides Borgen and Dahlin who really takes care of his own end. But we also lack that explosive breakout machine on the right side too. I hear a lot about 'today's' game, but if you draft for today's game, you will be behind the curve by the time your prospects make the league. The fast Sabres in 2006 exposed the 'yesterday's NHL' Flyers. And then 1 year later, Anaheim out-muscled everyone to the cup.

It goes in cycles. And Jett Woo isn't slow. And he might have untapped offensive potential, given that he had a rough year with injuries and still ended up with 25 pts in 44 games. And he's a lockdown defender.

I honestly don't know which way to go. So many options available, but I think it has to come down to:
RHD
Speed and skill on the wing.

Need to address one of those.

I know Woo pretty well. I played against his Dad growing up and have friends who are related. I just wouldn’t want him at #32. I would feel a lot better if they traded down and took him.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad