Draft Misses

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I guess I just don't vibe with this thread. I wanted Ryan O'Reilly really badly in 2009, we passed on him for Landon Ferraro. That really sucked. We have made a lot of drafting mistakes throughout the 2000's and 2010's, but we have a new scouting department coming with a lot of turnover, so that sort of addresses that issue for me for now along with a new General Manager. I'd rather focus on what we have and look ahead.

It obviously wasn't all bad, the previous team gave us guys like Nyquist and Tatar who are terrific players and the new team gave us guys like Larkin and Hronek. Let's hope the new team is even better.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
It would be interesting to actually see the draft misses data. I don’t have time but I e always wondered what it would look like.

What I mean is... our picks vs all the picks that would have been better. With any pick, choosing the best player out of the available 100 or whatever is too high of an expectation. What is a good pick? One of the best 5 available at that draft slot?

That sort of thing.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Again, that goes to my point about usage.

Career wise, Granlund been playing around 18 minutes a night compared to 12 of Connolly.

Its exponentially easier to the get points with increased ice-time.

You give almost any NHL player 18 minutes a night and near 50 points is near the minimum output you are gonna get. Unless you are **** like Ott or Abdelkader.

Sure, but you have to earn that ice time. Skinner is one of the best goal scorers in the league with his 18 min/game. Granlund is nearly a 70 point center when given 18 min/game. It's probably not a coincidence none of Connolly's coaches thought he deserved 18 min of ice time.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Only 2 Wings forwards averaged over 18 minutes, Nyquist and Larkin. You have to be a damn good player for your coach to give you that much ice time, so of course they're going to score more than 50.

Throw Abby, Helm, Ehn, or DLR out there for 18 or even 20 minutes a game and they might pot 2 more goals over the course of the season.

Your cause and effect is all wrong. You should really just stop while you're behind.

I disagree. I would argue there are plenty of players across the league who get high levels of ice time they probably don't deserve. Maybe not 18 min per se, but definitely plenty of players get more ice time than they deserve, which inflates their point totals and makes them look better than they are IMO.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I mean Abbie was getting 40 points when playing 18 minutes a night. Not last year's Abdelkader, he was so bad didn't deserve to make opening roster.

I'll concede on Ehn and DLR, but Helm in his prime would be up there, even with his relative stone hands.

Helm has really slowed down the past 3-4 years. Even Glendening is faster than him.
1. You said "any NHL player". Sounded like you were calling Dekeyser and Ericsson 50 point players. I won't hold you to that though.
2. Abby had 40 points. That isn't 50. That isn't a product of 18 minutes. That's a product of playing with supersatars.
3. Helm is still a player. So you're up from a list of 2 in the NHL to 4 on our team.
4. Would Helm in his prime put up 50 points if he was playing with Miller and Glendenning?

Good players get more minutes. Yon't magically become better because you have minutes. You have it backward

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Smith isn’t making the NHL next year. Almost zero chance tbh.

That said it’s the right attitude from him. Still think the kid has potential, but he needs a strong AHL season before we can talk NHL.

It is the right attitude. What the hell do people expect him to say? I just want to be an AHL lifer? If you don't think you are the biggest swinging dick in the room you won't make it far in sport.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You make a bold prediction.
I ask you to clarify what you mean and put parameters on it without making any claims of my own.

...and I need to calm down??
Smith will make the Red Wings then we will waive/trade Gator with retention

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Smith will make the Red Wings then we will waive/trade Gator with retention
So you're just saying that Smith will be better than Abby THIS YEAR? And the evidence will be that Smith will be on the team and Abby wont?

Or that Smith will have a better career than Abby? If so, what will be your evidence?

Either way, I think you will be wrong.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So you're just saying that Smith will be better than Abby THIS YEAR? And the evidence will be that Smith will be on the team and Abby wont?

Or that Smith will have a better career than Abby? If so, what will be your evidence?

Either way, I think you will be wrong.
It's not hard to be better than Justin Abdelkader... time will tell.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think most any of us have a person we wanted to see drafted who turned out better than our pick but I don't falt the scouting departments all that much on a miss. It's not easy and there are more factors they deal with then we realize. It's the long term performance that is the issue or a GM that is willing to trade picks for rentals when you are not even a contender. I am glad that is behind us and agree with a previous poster, its time to look forward.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why was he a second round pick if he is so terrible?
Here's a list of Red Wings second round draft picks since Abdelkader that didn't cut it in the NHL:
- Zach Nastasiuk
- Martin Frk
- Tomas Jurco
- Xavier Ouellet
- Ryan Sproul
- Landon Ferraro
- Tom McCollum (1st)
- Cory Emmerton
- Dick Axelsson

You're posting on a draft miss thread and your justification for thinking Givani is a good player is because of his draft position? Are you just trolling me? Doesn't seem like you watch any games or look at stats.

Anyways, back to the subject, there's a whole lot of misses there....

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Exactly drouin dominated the juniors probably why he was a highly touted pick , if he wasn’t a lazy **** and had heart he’d be getting 70+ easy so I don’t know if he can be totally at fault for that although Seth Jones also looked really good

Connolly was also a good prospect who failed obviously and tarasenko went #16 which is why I’m saying if you like someone who’s projected a bit ahead who gives a **** wha anyone thinks and take them since you won’t be able to with your 2nd pick

But after Connolly there’s onky a handful of guys that came after that were significant

Anyways it’s obvious yzerman won’t connect on every pick , our 6th can end up being a bust but I’m hoping with 3 2nds and the early 3rd we can connect at least for 3 for 5 with 2 being important pieces

We’ll see what happens

And Red Wings obviously liked Rasmussen at 9. A little early to write him off I think. The guy showed flashes imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad