Draft Misses

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Drouin was touted since childhood. Yzerman made a selection other GM's would have made as well.

Hockey is much more of a wild card for drafting than say the NFL. Players of varying skill sets, ages and NHL readiness are drafted from leagues and colleges around the globe. Very difficult gauge.

It's a tougher job in the position the Wings have drafted from due to continuous regular season & playoff success of the past.

His job isn't to make the pick every other GM would have made, it's to make the right pick.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Connolly had 44 even-strength points last season playing 13 minutes a night, that ain't bad at all.

And it's not like he did that playing sheltered minutes like Tarasenko/Johansen, who BTW had 46 even strength points.

You give him first unit PP minutes and he could come close to Tarasenko's offensive numbers.

I think Connolly is a better player than he is given credit for, especially by people trying to cast doubt regarding Yzerman's draft history.

There are a lot of really good players in the NHL whose offensive production is killed by limited minutes or assignment.

He certainly had a good year last year, but that's the exception and not the norm. His career high prior to last season was 27 points. It remains to be seen if he can keep up his production from last season.

Also, he was a top 6 pick. You expect more from a top 6 pick than a single 40+ point season by age 27. Jeff Skinner was taken one pick later and Mikael Granlund was taken three picks later.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
He certainly had a good year last year, but that's the exception and not the norm. His career high prior to last season was 27 points. It remains to be seen if he can keep up his production from last season.

Also, he was a top 6 pick. You expect more from a top 6 pick than a single 40+ point season by age 27. Jeff Skinner was taken one pick later and Mikael Granlund was taken three picks later.
Again, that goes to my point about usage.

Career wise, Granlund been playing around 18 minutes a night compared to 12 of Connolly.

Its exponentially easier to the get points with increased ice-time.

You give almost any NHL player 18 minutes a night and near 50 points is near the minimum output you are gonna get. Unless you are shit like Ott or Abdelkader.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
framing how someone like Connolly did a half decade after being traded from the team as making him a better or worse draft pick is something of a pet peeve of mine

he even ended up being flat out not qualified by Boston in between that and his time in Washington

he could become a 100 point guy next year and that doesn't make the pick any better,the Lightning spent a 6th overall pick on him and got 32 points in 134 games and two 2nd round picks out of him,that's not good value for a 6th overall

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Givani is a younger Gator.
LOL, no. Abby had 4 times as many points in his first AHL season. He played a few more games and was a year older, but still no comparison.

The kids had 13 points in the AHL, how could he possibly be ready for the big league? Abby had 19 last year. Yes, you can actually do worse than Abby did last season, look at Witter as an example.

Like I said, if Stevie thinks he needs an enforcer then Givani might skate. IMHO, I think McIlrath should be the guy since the team has a bunch of injury prone defensemen. Also, I don't see how sitting in the pressbox for 60 games will help Givani's development. McIlrath is what he is at this point, so sitting in the press box won't make a difference.

Reactions: kliq

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
LOL, no. Abby had 4 times as many points in his first AHL season. He played a few more games and was a year older, but still no comparison.

The kids had 13 points in the AHL, how could he possibly be ready for the big league? Abby had 19 last year. Yes, you can actually do worse than Abby did last season, look at Witter as an example.

Like I said, if Stevie thinks he needs an enforcer then Givani might skate. IMHO, I think McIlrath should be the guy since the team has a bunch of injury prone defensemen. Also, I don't see how sitting in the pressbox for 60 games will help Givani's development. McIlrath is what he is at this point, so sitting in the press box won't make a difference.
Givani will be better than Gator. Remember I said that

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

the odds of that happening are probably about the same as the odds of Zadina being better than Datsyuk

a forward that can't outscore Brian Lashoff probably isn't having much of an NHL career

Reactions: lilidk

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
You want to put some hard numbers on that? Total career NHL points?

or is it going to boil down to "Givani was an average AHL player over his career, but then again so was Abby LOLOLOL"?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I will, because I doubt Givani's entire career points total will match Abby's 2 best years (86 pts in 2 seasons).

So far you haven't impressed me at all with any of your player evaluations. Mantha sucks and Givani, Zadina, and Risto are going to be stars, lol. Seems like you have the shiny new toy syndrome to the extreme.

As for Abby, he's my least favorite player on the roster, but he can still outscore AHL plugs.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
serious question,how often do forwards go from being 0.20 PPG in the AHL over pretty much a full season to playing in the NHL the next year for more than a cup of coffee?

because that sounds extremely rare even for a 4th liner
Smith isn’t making the NHL next year. Almost zero chance tbh.

That said it’s the right attitude from him. Still think the kid has potential, but he needs a strong AHL season before we can talk NHL.

Reactions: kliq

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Well, this might be the most delusional statement I've ever read.
Of 87 forwards who averaged at least 18 minutes per game last season (min 25 games), a total of 7 were below 50 point pace. That includes rounding down the 49.51 pace of Koivu.

Only 2 of 7 were below the 40 point pace.

The skill gap in the NHL is the lowest its ever been.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Of 87 forwards who averaged at least 18 minutes per game last season (min 25 games), a total of 7 were below 50 point pace. That includes rounding down the 49.51 pace of Koivu.

Only 2 of 7 were below the 40 point pace.

The skill gap in the NHL is the lowest its ever been.
Only 2 Wings forwards averaged over 18 minutes, Nyquist and Larkin. You have to be a damn good player for your coach to give you that much ice time, so of course they're going to score more than 50.

Throw Abby, Helm, Ehn, or DLR out there for 18 or even 20 minutes a game and they might pot 2 more goals over the course of the season.

Your cause and effect is all wrong. You should really just stop while you're behind.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Only 2 Wings forwards averaged over 18 minutes, Nyquist and Larkin. You have to be a damn good player for your coach to give you that much ice time, so of course they're going to score more than 50.

Throw Abby, Helm, Ehn, or DLR out there for 18 or even 20 minutes a game and they might pot 2 more goals over the course of the season.

Your cause and effect is all wrong. You should really just stop while you're behind.

I mean Abbie was getting 40 points when playing 18 minutes a night. Not last year's Abdelkader, he was so bad didn't deserve to make opening roster.

I'll concede on Ehn and DLR, but Helm in his prime would be up there, even with his relative stone hands.

Helm has really slowed down the past 3-4 years. Even Glendening is faster than him.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
In the 2012 draft our biggest miss was in the 3rd round, we drafted 80th overall and selected G Jake Paterson, just 6 picks later ..... D Colton Parayko

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This thread is awash with some of the worst hot takes I have seen in awhile.

I realize the OP asked you for misses or guys you wish you had taken recently. But, evaluating the draft recently with heavy handed statements is ripe for problems. I mean to each their own. But Rasmussen being a 19 year old and breaking into the league early and looks exactly what most teenagers look like in this league. That shouldn't be shocking, it isn't even really disappointing if you talk to hockey people.

Rasmussen has a lot of work to be an All-star 1st line net front guy, that is his ceiling. Givani Smith has a ton of work to do to be a 3rd or 4th line banger with some offense.

I would have taken Necas back then, but that is over why do we need to circle this. By the way Necas couldn't make a tangible impact in the league yet either and the other often talked about player is flaming out of his chances at the NHL entirely, glad we have apparently upgraded this argument somewhat to no longer include Vilardi and cherry pick Brannstrom. Also to be clear, neither of Necas or Vilardi are what they are either, well at least hopefully not in terms of Vilardi and the injuries for sure.

Hakan and Draper desperately wanted Andersson to fall. Take a look at his numbers or Mittlestadt's 19 year old numbers for those that are really upset.

In terms of some of this chatter I have heard Wilde was on our Do Not Draft list, that is what I heard when asking if we considered him early second. But still you need to give this 4 to 5 years before you can really go to town.

Rasmussen and Cholowski are two guys I am fascinated to see in camp. They are both hard workers by almost all accounts, I expect they are having a big off-season, I think both guys are working out with Larkin and Glendening too so that should help them. I think people are pretty quick to write off kids that struggle at first at the NHL level. It is perfectly normal, a lot of big stars have even struggled at first or took a little while to get there. I do expect improvements out of both guys, so I think the topic on those guys at least gets a little more interesting in their sophomore campaigns, what did they learn, what are they prepared for, how quickly do they adapt, how much faster do they play. Excited for it, we are not a great team, but I certainly enjoy watching several of our young players going through the process of become better and better pros. I do think they kept the professionalism alive in terms of the dressing room.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
WTF is a hot take?

I am not in tune with latest millennial lingo.

Google is your friend.

hot take
noun
US
noun: hot take; plural noun: hot takes; noun: hottake; plural noun: hottakes
  1. a piece of commentary, typically produced quickly in response to a recent event, whose primary purpose is to attract attention.
    "his hot take on the latest column"

Seanaveryhot4fashion

Jul 16, 2019
orlando
I'm going to make a prediction and say:

Antti Tuomisto....MISS

I hope I'm wrong, but dude, the guy skates slower than my disabled grandmother....no offense grandma I love u

Reactions: lilidk

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I will, because I doubt Givani's entire career points total will match Abby's 2 best years (86 pts in 2 seasons).

So far you haven't impressed me at all with any of your player evaluations. Mantha sucks and Givani, Zadina, and Risto are going to be stars, lol. Seems like you have the shiny new toy syndrome to the extreme.

As for Abby, he's my least favorite player on the roster, but he can still outscore AHL plugs.
Givani is like 20 years old...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You want to put some hard numbers on that? Total career NHL points?

or is it going to boil down to "Givani was an average AHL player over his career, but then again so was Abby LOLOLOL"?
Givani played ONE AHL season. Calm down

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
the odds of that happening are probably about the same as the odds of Zadina being better than Datsyuk

a forward that can't outscore Brian Lashoff probably isn't having much of an NHL career
Sure buddy. The distance of Smith to Gator isn't even close to Zadina to most likely HOF Datsyuk.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad