Draft Misses

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
New York Islanders Bode Wilde Steal of 2018 NHL Draft

I was pissed when we passed on Wilde in rd 2 last year! Anyone else we appeared to miss on from recent drafts?

I'll second your emotion. I too was pissed and disappointed when we passed on Wilde, passed on him twice I think. Not too displeased with Valeno and McIsaac so far though.
I wanted Samuelsson with our second first rounder, not sure what he's doing since the draft; I'm pretty sure Buffalo got him before we had a chance in the snd. Once he was off the board I thought it was a lock we'd grab Wilde.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
I'll second your emotion. I too was pissed and disappointed when we passed on Wilde, passed on him twice I think. Not too displeased with Valeno and McIsaac so far though.
I wanted Samuelsson with our second first rounder, not sure what he's doing since the draft; I'm pretty sure Buffalo got him before we had a chance in the snd. Once he was off the board I thought it was a lock we'd grab Wilde.
Berggren is young but I thought we should have taken Wilde there and I even think he is better than McIssac

Reactions: MeLoveRedWings

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Berggren is young but I thought we should have taken Wilde there and I even think he is better than McIssac
Similar stats on a per game basis, I think it's too early to tell unless you're watching games and can give us valid comparisons of their defensive capabilities.

I would have picked anyone other than Berggren, but you can't predict injuries. Hindsight is 20/20.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Not quite fair since Brännström was ranked between 15-20 on most lists. The player i believe we'll regret passing on in the 2017 draft is Necas, that guy just oozes play-making and awareness.

I still hope that Rasmussen can turn into a solid 40pt guy with solid defense though.
How so? We needed a dman it’s been years and Brannstrom was the next dman chosen , didn’t want him?foote and valimaki available

Shoulda been brannstrom

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Isles site proclaiming an Isles pick as steal of the draft, nothing to see here. I'd take McIsaac over Wilde pretty easily so I don't see how Wilde is such a steal. Also pretty funny how the article doesn't mention their two first round picks having underwhelming seasons.

Talking about misses from last years draft, I'm not sure how you can complain with any of the first 4 picks. Bergren would be the only one who's value regressed and that is all due to injury.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Isles site proclaiming an Isles pick as steal of the draft, nothing to see here. I'd take McIsaac over Wilde pretty easily so I don't see how Wilde is such a steal. Also pretty funny how the article doesn't mention their two first round picks having underwhelming seasons.

Talking about misses from last years draft, I'm not sure how you can complain with any of the first 4 picks. Bergren would be the only one who's value regressed and that is all due to injury.

Dobson’s second half of the season with Rouyn-Noranda was anything but underwhelming.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
How so? We needed a dman it’s been years and Brannstrom was the next dman chosen , didn’t want him?foote and valimaki available

Shoulda been brannstrom

Only 2 respectable pre draft ranking list's had him top-15. Brännström would've been considered quite the reach at 9, Valimaki or Liljegren would've been way less of a reach at the time. It's easy to say Brännström in hindsight, but at the time of the draft i don't blame them for not taking Brännström.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Dobson’s second half of the season with Rouyn-Noranda was anything but underwhelming.
His first half (albeit on the worst team in the league) and WJC were terrible. Yeah once he left the Titans he put up good numbers on a stacked team, but his stock has definitely gone down. His lack of foot speed is a huge concern as he transitions to pro. Gonna be interesting to see how he develops as he was one of the players I wanted until Zadina fell to #6

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
His first half (albeit on the worst team in the league) and WJC were terrible. Yeah once he left the Titans he put up good numbers on a stacked team, but his stock has definitely gone down. His lack of foot speed is a huge concern as he transitions to pro. Gonna be interesting to see how he develops as he was one of the players I wanted until Zadina fell to #6

On what planet do you see Dobson as lacking foot speed?

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I do like Wilde but he hasn't proven anything yet. Having a good year in juniors is great and all but you haven't proven shit until you have success at the pro levels.

We won't know much about how the 2018 draft looks for another couple years or so.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Only 2 respectable pre draft ranking list's had him top-15. Brännström would've been considered quite the reach at 9, Valimaki or Liljegren would've been way less of a reach at the time. It's easy to say Brännström in hindsight, but at the time of the draft i don't blame them for not taking Brännström.
Not really man , not much of a gap between 9-15 and the next drafted dman , at that point you draft who you like cause you won’t get a chance at the player in the second round

It’s not hindsight man I was pissed on draft day when we passed him over for Rasmussen ,can say coyotes made a mistake this past draft but they took a guy a lot sooner than ppl projected cause that’s what they wanted , we needed a dman and we went for ras cause of his size

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not quite fair since Brännström was ranked between 15-20 on most lists. The player i believe we'll regret passing on in the 2017 draft is Necas, that guy just oozes play-making and awareness.

I still hope that Rasmussen can turn into a solid 40pt guy with solid defense though.
You can only ooze two things. Sexuality and pus

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
New York Islanders Bode Wilde Steal of 2018 NHL Draft

I was pissed when we passed on Wilde in rd 2 last year! Anyone else we appeared to miss on from recent drafts?

I think McIsaac and Wilde are pretty comparable, both have had good D+1 seasons and I don't think you could honestly say one is definitely better than the other at this point. I don't think it's fair to suggest that Wilde would have been a better pick than Berggren, he should bounce back next season assuming he's injury free, and as I said above McIsaac and Wilde are pretty equal overall.

All that being said I don't think it's fair to call anything after the 1st as a "draft miss" unless the team went for a reach and it didn't pay off, an example being someone like Bertuzzi if he hadn't developed like he has. Even though I didn't like the Rasmussen pick and would have preferred Necas/Vilardi, taking someone like Branstromm would have been a pretty big reach at the time, he was ranked just 29th by McKenzie. I think given who was on the board at the time of our pick, taking Valimaki or even Liljegren would have been more appropriate and even then it still would have been a small reach.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He's oozes both of those things.

But seriously though, I always try to improve my English. However I'm pretty sure you can say "that guy oozes confidence" for example.

Atleast according to Cambridge dictionary: OOZE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

I’m sorry, it’s a quote from the American office.

I understand what you are saying and you even said it correctly, I was just quoting a show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad