Draft Misses

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
And this comment is all I need to know about this poster and how I'll perceive their future posts going forward.

This is a "Hindsight is fun" thread. But nothing to take seriously... as pointed out in the quote above.
Like I give a shit what you think about my posts?just ignore them and move along

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Some draft misses by Yzerman

2013 Drouin #3
2012 Koekkoek #10
2010 Connolly #6
Yzerman had some bad moves in early drafting , just to say ,don't expect to much, it's impossible to predict how kids will develop.

Drouin was touted since childhood. Yzerman made a selection other GM's would have made as well.

Hockey is much more of a wild card for drafting than say the NFL. Players of varying skill sets, ages and NHL readiness are drafted from leagues and colleges around the globe. Very difficult gauge.

It's a tougher job in the position the Wings have drafted from due to continuous regular season & playoff success of the past.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Drouin was touted since childhood. Yzerman made a selection other GM's would have made as well.

Hockey is much more of a wild card for drafting than say the NFL. Players of varying skill sets, ages and NHL readiness are drafted from leagues and colleges around the globe. Very difficult gauge.

It's a tougher job in the position the Wings have drafted from due to continuous regular season & playoff success of the past.
Lets just not get overexcited about what can he do , just like you said it is almost impossible to predict future for 17-18 year old kids in NHL

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
This is a prediction, but this team is gonna regret passing on Quinn Hughes. Watching him in his brief call up, he has "it", that superstar quality.

Reactions: rbartnik and LazyT

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019

Exactly drouin dominated the juniors probably why he was a highly touted pick , if he wasn’t a lazy f*** and had heart he’d be getting 70+ easy so I don’t know if he can be totally at fault for that although Seth Jones also looked really good

Connolly was also a good prospect who failed obviously and tarasenko went #16 which is why I’m saying if you like someone who’s projected a bit ahead who gives a f*** wha anyone thinks and take them since you won’t be able to with your 2nd pick

But after Connolly there’s onky a handful of guys that came after that were significant

Anyways it’s obvious yzerman won’t connect on every pick , our 6th can end up being a bust but I’m hoping with 3 2nds and the early 3rd we can connect at least for 3 for 5 with 2 being important pieces

We’ll see what happens

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Givani Smith. Nobody liked that pick, and Nashville picked Girard with the next pick.
Why would everyone hate that pick?i mean I wanted wade Allison but he’s not even playing yet , who could have known hronek picked later would be better , or Hart would be a stud goalie heck Girard was traded from his draft team and he looks like a 3rd pairing dman

Think smith will be a nice piece for the wings when we start making the playoffs , outside bertuzzi we don’t have much grit and toughness on this team and I think he’ll fit in nicely

If we landed Beecher somehow I think a smith Beecher bertuzzi line would be brutal for most teams to face

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why would everyone hate that pick?i mean I wanted wade Allison but he’s not even playing yet , who could have known hronek picked later would be better , or Hart would be a stud goalie heck Girard was traded from his draft team and he looks like a 3rd pairing dman

Think smith will be a nice piece for the wings when we start making the playoffs , outside bertuzzi we don’t have much grit and toughness on this team and I think he’ll fit in nicely

If we landed Beecher somehow I think a smith Beecher bertuzzi line would be brutal for most teams to face
Because it was a reach? Most rankings had him as late 2 or 3rd round, and he doesn't have any hockey skills? Grit doesn't matter if you can't play hockey, plus you can always pick up that kind of player in free agency or lower rounds. This team needs scoring and defense more than grit, otherwise it won't make the playoffs.

Girard was ranked high second round, that would have been the right pick.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Because it was a reach? Most rankings had him as late 2 or 3rd round, and he doesn't have any hockey skills? Grit doesn't matter if you can't play hockey, plus you can always pick up that kind of player in free agency or lower rounds. This team needs scoring and defense more than grit, otherwise it won't make the playoffs.

Girard was ranked high second round, that would have been the right pick.
Everyone bitched about the bertuzzi pick when it happened and it turned out to be a great move , you can say anything you want about not needing grit and I know this isn’t the 90s but you remember the grind line? Those kind of players still matter when the going get tough and right now all we have is bertuzzi , smith can be one of those guys

I don’t care if he doesn’t get 40-70 pts a year as long as he hits everything he sees and gets in peoples faces, I think he can be an important piece down the road , might not a star but a piece that matters none the less

I think I’ll wait a few years to see what happens before getting mad passing on a dman that’s looking like a 3rd pairing dman

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
2018 is a weird draft to talk about misses considering we knocked it out of the park...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Everyone *****ed about the bertuzzi pick when it happened and it turned out to be a great move , you can say anything you want about not needing grit and I know this isn’t the 90s but you remember the grind line? Those kind of players still matter when the going get tough and right now all we have is bertuzzi , smith can be one of those guys

I don’t care if he doesn’t get 40-70 pts a year as long as he hits everything he sees and gets in peoples faces, I think he can be an important piece down the road , might not a star but a piece that matters none the less

I think I’ll wait a few years to see what happens before getting mad passing on a dman that’s looking like a 3rd pairing dman

Bertuzzi actually produced decently at lower levels though

Smith is 21 and had 13 points in 64 AHL games this year I honestly have severe doubts that he'll even be good enough to be a 4th liner in the NHL

he was literally outproduced by Brian Lashoff on the same team in less games....

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Smith is 21 and had 13 points in 64 AHL games this year I honestly have severe doubts that he'll even be good enough to be a 4th liner in the NHL

he was literally outproduced by Brian Lashoff on the same team in less games....
Was gonna say the same thing, Bert can score. He has some skill, and his game isn't about physicality as much as it is outworking the opponent. He's not that big.

Smith is a plug at best, guys like him wind up going through waivers all the time. Look at Smith-Pelly. No need to draft guys like that in the 2nd round.

I have a hard time believing anyone would have Smith over Girard when we're short on NHL level defensemen.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019

Well he might not but I think he can, can’t measure everything with stats he brings physicality and toughness which we don’t have, we just don’t we would get runned over easily in the playoffs

And this is his first ahl season, far too soon to right him off , he had a 23 and 26 goal season in the juniors don’t expect him to get anything close to that but again I’m going with the other parts of his game which I think we sorely lack

I’m sure there’s a lot of guys on teams bottom lines that are playing and had mediocre numbers , Ryan reeves comes to mind can’t picture him dominating the ahl

Anyways we’ll see what happens you might be right but I’m choosing to be hopeful and seeing smith running guys down in a few years

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I did not like Rasmussen at 9 but I remember a lot of people wanting Vilardi. I don't think Vilardi will ever become a NHL starter so we dodged a bullet there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I did not like Rasmussen at 9 but I remember a lot of people wanting Vilardi. I don't think Vilardi will ever become a NHL starter so we dodged a bullet there.
I'm not sure Vilardi is going to have any sort of career. Back injuries are tough, it can literally age you 30 years in a split second. I know from personal experience. Best of luck to him.

Not sure why anyone's worried about toughness for playoffs when we aren't even close to the playoffs. Not to mention that the Wings are not a small team aside from the H's (Hirose, Hicketts, Hronek). I expect the youngsters to all bulk up, especially Raz. Wings' training staff have been doing a good job in that regards, look at Larkin and AA the past couple of years. Both have gotten considerably stronger.

When you're talking about the difference between a 4th line plug and a starting defenseman, it's definitely a miss.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

He believes he will make the team next year we'll see if he is a miss...

Remember Mitch Callahan? He thought he was going to be on the team every year, lol.

If Givani makes the team, it'll be as Witter's replacement. Smith had 13 points last season in GR. This guy is gonna make Abby look like an All Star winger.

Reactions: lilidk

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

He believes he will make the team next year we'll see if he is a miss...

serious question,how often do forwards go from being 0.20 PPG in the AHL over pretty much a full season to playing in the NHL the next year for more than a cup of coffee?

because that sounds extremely rare even for a 4th liner

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
serious question,how often do forwards go from being 0.20 PPG in the AHL over pretty much a full season to playing in the NHL the next year for more than a cup of coffee?

because that sounds extremely rare even for a 4th liner
Waive Gator and play Givani? Can't see how he would bring less?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Remember Mitch Callahan? He thought he was going to be on the team every year, lol.

If Givani makes the team, it'll be as Witter's replacement. Smith had 13 points last season in GR. This guy is gonna make Abby look like an All Star winger.
Givani is a younger Gator.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Connolly was also a good prospect who failed obviously and tarasenko went #16 which is why I’m saying if you like someone who’s projected a bit ahead who gives a **** wha anyone thinks and take them since you won’t be able to with your 2nd pick

But after Connolly there’s onky a handful of guys that came after that were significant
Connolly had 44 even-strength points last season playing 13 minutes a night, that ain't bad at all.

And it's not like he did that playing sheltered minutes like Tarasenko/Johansen, who BTW had 46 even strength points.

You give him first unit PP minutes and he could come close to Tarasenko's offensive numbers.

I think Connolly is a better player than he is given credit for, especially by people trying to cast doubt regarding Yzerman's draft history.

There are a lot of really good players in the NHL whose offensive production is killed by limited minutes or assignment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->