Draft Lotto Tracking Final 9 Games

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
It's sad that if we even remotely had our **** together this season we could've easily made it. We won't get this same turtle race next season.

Its all but said and done.. but I guess if Colorado can only win one more game this season it might as well be against Arizona lol

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Letting a point slip away last night was pretty devastating. Even winning out the rest of the way probably leaves us well below 50% odds to get in. Colorado needs to win tonight but then lose the rest, or if they win one hope it's in a shootout to help with a tiebreaker scenario.

Actually, based on us blowing a point and the fact that Arizona has one less Reg/OT win than Colorado, it might now be better if they beat the Avalanche tonight, contrary to what I said yesterday. We'd have to then hope they lose a winnable game against LA or Minnesota, but it's a lot more likely we'd finish ahead of them in an 87 point tie scenario than if we tied at 87 with Colorado. Both finishing at 86 or less is really unlikely at this point, so quite doubtful we can avoid the necessity of a tiebreaker.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
@Kyle McMahon

lol.. and see now im the opposite.. the odds are so low of Colorado only winning 1 more game this season that I figure it might as well be against Arizona to help us out there and then we gotta hope they chit the bed against St. Louis, Winnipeg, Edmonton and San Jose.

But yeah, EDM is playing decent but I don't think they can win out anyways.

Like we all said before.. had they beat New Jersey and beat Ottawa... we would have 3 more points right now. And they should won last night against Dallas.. brutal.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
giphy.gif

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
@Kyle McMahon

lol.. and see now im the opposite.. the odds are so low of Colorado only winning 1 more game this season that I figure it might as well be against Arizona to help us out there and then we gotta hope they chit the bed against St. Louis, Winnipeg, Edmonton and San Jose.

But yeah, EDM is playing decent but I don't think they can win out anyways.

Like we all said before.. had they beat New Jersey and beat Ottawa... we would have 3 more points right now. And they should won last night against Dallas.. brutal.

Even an extra two points right now would be an enormous difference. An extra 4 and they could probably make it with a 4-1 finish. Brutal is indeed the only word to describe how painful a miss this is going to be. The bar to get in was so low...

Whatever happens in Colorado tonight probably isn't going to make it or break it either way...let's just say avoidance of OT is the most important factor.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
AKA:
Colorado wins.. 1 more and EDM is mathematically eliminated from playoffs.

Only good news is for draft pick purposes tonight's game against Anaheim could be EDM last win of the season.

They Play:

Anaheim W
Vegas L
Colorado L
San Jose L
Calgary L

If Anaheim beats us tonight they would only be 1 point back of us... we have a decent shot at finishing second last in the west.

Anaheim would need 1 more win to pass us and they play Calgary + Kings

AKA: Top 7 pick

*This is assuming no one in the East passes us and we go 0-5-0

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If there's any reason to still have a faint shred of hope, it's that Colorado needing a shootout to win actually gave us an opening as far as tiebreakers go. If we go 5-0 and they're all in regulation or OT, we will own the tiebreaker against both Colorado and Arizona in the event of an 87 point tie.
So we can still withstand the Avs winning another game, provided we don't need a shootout to win any of ours.

Surprisingly we could still withstand Arizona going 2-1-1 and the Avs going 1-2-0 or 0-1-2 in their three games (excluding the game against us).

Minnesota stayed in the conversation last night unfortunately. Doubtful we could beat them in a tiebreaker, so we need them to go 2-1-1 at best. Chicago is in the same boat as us and needs to run the table.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
It amazes me that people are still wanting to tank for a better draft pick, but what amazes me even more is people actually wanting to use the pick instead of trading it to acquire assets needed to actually compete .

Any draft pick including kokko and Hughes is 3 years from making a huge impact .

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
It amazes me that people are still wanting to tank for a better draft pick, but what amazes me even more is people actually wanting to use the pick instead of trading it to acquire assets needed to actually compete .

Any draft pick including kokko and Hughes is 3 years from making a huge impact .

They could probably step in next year and pot 50-60 points.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Could and probably are pretty possibly big mistakes oilers can't afford to make right
Based on the fact that we had 3 4th liners playing in our top 6 last night, our top 10 pick has a good chance of playing on the big club next year and scoring 50pts

Tank on and improve lotto odds.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Based on the fact that we had 3 4th liners playing in our top 6 last night, our top 10 pick has a good chance of playing on the big club next year and scoring 50pts

Tank on and improve lotto odds.

Awesome so we rush another prospect. That will work out awesome cuz we have had nothing but success In that

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
All the good karma has been spent. We’re moving down not picking where we are or better lol.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Awesome so we rush another prospect. That will work out awesome cuz we have had nothing but success In that

Both Hughes and Kakko are NHL ready. Don't think the Oilers will get either one though so it doesn't really matter.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Although playoffs are still technically mathematically possible its pretty obvious that it isn't happening lol.. That was a good loss to Anaheim though, hopefully we can lose our next 4 games and Anaheim beats the Kings and we should be looking at a TOP 7 pick being second last in the West.

Updated.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yup, unless we fluke out into the top-2, I am trading that pick FOR SURE if I'm the GM. Sadly, our window to win is over the next 4-5 years, while we have Drai/McD. Preferably sooner, because if this keeps up the way it is going, one of those 2 guys likely asks for a trade in the next 1-2 years. The better path would be to draft and wait, but the sad reality is that we need to win starting next year. If we can get an established top-6 forward, who is under contract for 3+ years, you have to trade the 8-10 pick that we end up with. Does that suck? Sure it does, but we don't have a choice really at this point.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Penguins had a great
2004 draft - Malkin
2005 draft - Crosby, Letang
2006 draft - Jordan Staal

All were crucial to their first cup in 08-09. Our similar picks in that time frame

2014 - Draisaitl
2015 - McDavid, (Barzal)
2016- Puljujarvi (Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachyev)

We draft Barzal (who fell into our laps, I know we wouldnt have picked him ... and thats pathetic all scouts should be fired) and Pulju becomes the player those 3 are and we are a cup contender.

The draft is the way to build in todays NHL.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yup, unless we fluke out into the top-2, I am trading that pick FOR SURE if I'm the GM. Sadly, our window to win is over the next 4-5 years, while we have Drai/McD. Preferably sooner, because if this keeps up the way it is going, one of those 2 guys likely asks for a trade in the next 1-2 years. The better path would be to draft and wait, but the sad reality is that we need to win starting next year. If we can get an established top-6 forward, who is under contract for 3+ years, you have to trade the 8-10 pick that we end up with. Does that suck? Sure it does, but we don't have a choice really at this point.
Sure...then why stop at the 1st.. we should be trading McLeod, Yama,Pulju, Bear , Bouchard as well

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure...then why stop at the 1st.. we should be trading McLeod, Yama,Pulju, Bear , Bouchard as well
Disagree. All those guys will be ready before the 1st this year would be and those guys should be ready in the next 1-2 seasons(if they are at all) which would be a major boost to a lineup that should be pushing if we make a few good trades including this year's first.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Disagree. All those guys will be ready before the 1st this year would be and those guys should be ready in the next 1-2 seasons(if they are at all) which would be a major boost to a lineup that should be pushing if we make a few good trades including this year's first.
Will be = may be.

For every Puljujarvi there is a Kotkaneimi

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oilers should be drafting between 7 and 10, with 8 most likely. It could be worst as a team win a a lotto above then bumping them down which is likely too. Keep tanking!!

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Shouldn't be too much problem losing the last few games now. Might be too little too late.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers should be drafting between 7 and 10, with 8 most likely. It could be worst as a team win a a lotto above then bumping them down which is likely too. Keep tanking!!
Lots of great prospects available around 7-10 pick. Trading the 1st should not be on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad