Post-Game Talk: Draft Lottery - Bedard going to Chicago. Canucks stay at 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I see the Hockey Writers are speculating that the Canucks 11th overall pick could be in play in a proposed deal for Alex Lafreniere out of New York. Dhaliwal has long speculated about the Canucks long-standing interest in the former first overall pick.

I suppose where there's 'smoke' there could be come 'fire'. And it would be consistent with Rutherford and Allvin's long-stated philosophy of acquiring young assets who are coming out of their ELC's and have disappointed, but still have room to grow.

Blowing two first rounders and their second rounder in what purports to be a deep draft, would probably cause some Canuck fans to lose their minds.

Seems to me that flushing picks to acquire the likes of Hronek and possibly Lafreniere is 'doubling-down' on the failed Jim Benning strategy. But it is what it is, I guess.
Dont see why the Canucks would splurge out on an underachieving left winger...Positionally, its not what the Canucks desperately need.

Why do the Rangers need a 11th OA draft pick...?...They are more in a desperate win-now scenario than the Canucks are..Especially given that they have a number of aging core players.

Sounds like some speculation from some bored hockey writers.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Exactly. Why would the Canucks do this?

About the only explanation is that Lafreniere is a former first overall draft pick. While the 11th overall pick might not turn out to be as good in the long run. It would really depend on who's left on the board when the 11th selection comes up.

But such a deal would be huge risk for both the Canucks and the Rangers.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Exactly. Why would the Canucks do this?

About the only explanation is that Lafreniere is a former first overall draft pick. While the 11th overall pick might not turn out to be as good in the long run. It would really depend on who's left on the board when the 11th selection comes up.

But such a deal would be huge risk for both the Canucks and the Rangers.

I was actually thinking the Canucks should offer sheet Lafreniere. The Rags will match anything around $6M per, but let's say the Canucks offer an 8 year, $67.2M contract (8.4M a year)

The Rangers would never match because of their cap structure.

• Haha
Reactions: dez

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
I see the Hockey Writers are speculating that the Canucks 11th overall pick could be in play in a proposed deal for Alex Lafreniere out of New York. Dhaliwal has long speculated about the Canucks long-standing interest in the former first overall pick.

I suppose where there's 'smoke' there could be come 'fire'. And it would be consistent with Rutherford and Allvin's long-stated philosophy of acquiring young assets who are coming out of their ELC's and have disappointed, but still have room to grow.

Blowing two first rounders and their second rounder in what purports to be a deep draft, would probably cause some Canuck fans to lose their minds.

Seems to me that flushing picks to acquire the likes of Hronek and possibly Lafreniere is 'doubling-down' on the failed Jim Benning strategy. But it is what it is, I guess.
Interesting. Others (media) have been saying Lafrenierre is pretty untouchable, that NYR want to see him under a new coach. Given their lineup he wasn't really utilized they way he should have been and still performed fairly well. He's gone from 21 pts (in 56 games) to 31 to 39 this year. While you expect more from a first overall pick, I would argue his deployment has muted his numbers.

He averaged 14 mins his first and second year, and only 15 mins last year. He also only has 6 pp points over his career (due to a lack of PP ice).

If he's offered up to us, I think its a no brainer for 11th. There's a ton of upside there if he's used properly.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Celebrini, UFA in 4 years. Bedard, UFA in 7 years. Odds of them signing in Vancouver seem higher than winning the draft lottery.

Regarding the spitting contest between Nuckster and DonnyNucker, and assuming both have credible sources, I want to believe what a 17 yr old teenager tells his friends and family versus what a former coach thinks his former 12 yr old player might do when he is 24.
He is a boy. Things will change when he meets a nice girl in Chicago and makes some friends. Nuckster is just a delusional homer. It’s not a spitting contest, I’m just assuming Bedard is a rationale person with a good head on his shoulders. According to my buddy he is a great kid

I was actually thinking the Canucks should offer sheet Lafreniere. The Rags will match anything around $6M per, but let's say the Canucks offer an 8 year, $67.2M contract (8.4M a year)

Why is he worth $8.4MM. Lol

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Interesting. Others (media) have been saying Lafrenierre is pretty untouchable, that NYR want to see him under a new coach. Given their lineup he wasn't really utilized they way he should have been and still performed fairly well. He's gone from 21 pts (in 56 games) to 31 to 39 this year. While you expect more from a first overall pick, I would argue his deployment has muted his numbers.

He averaged 14 mins his first and second year, and only 15 mins last year. He also only has 6 pp points over his career (due to a lack of PP ice).

If he's offered up to us, I think its a no brainer for 11th. There's a ton of upside there if he's used properly.
If he’s offered to the Canucks it pretty much means that NYR have given up on him as a prospect..If the Rangers genuinely thought he was going to be a star,they wouldn’t even entertain the idea of moving him ,after only 3 seasons..

It’s far from a no brainer…More of a red flag..IMO

The Canucks are better served in finding and developing their own player with the 11th OA.

Reactions: oceanchild

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Conor Bedard is going to play out most of his prime as a Vancouver Canuck. Do not care what anyone says.

Chicago is a dogshit organization and Bedard’s parents are not happy that they have they #1 overall pick.
Anything you can add here?

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Trading away a 1st round pick in a deep draft for a half-bust former high pick player should be the last thing to do especially considering the situation that we're in.
Which is why I fully expect them to do this shit.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I honestly think that Benson may just be there at 11.

Teams like St Louis, Det, and Washington arent taking a smallish winger.

Similar to Kyle Connor, Cole Perfetti, Marco Rossi who all sled on draft day compared to their "consensus" ranking.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I believe that there are 8 players who wont be there at 11.

The top 4
Smith
Leonard
Reinbacher
Dvorsky

Reinbacher and Dvorsky will go based on need.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Zero chance Laff is worth the 11th OA pick in this draft. But is he enough to slide back to 23?

For me, probably not. But if Allvin feels one of the 2nd tier RS dmen will be available at 23, might make some sense to move back.

NYR seem to be in some cap trouble from a quick look at Capfriendly. With Laff being RFA maybe they look to deal him. Don't think 11 for Laff+23 would get done, but might be the framework for deal...but then I'm assuming Lafreniere's value has plummeted.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Zero chance Laff is worth the 11th OA pick in this draft. But is he enough to slide back to 23?

For me, probably not. But if Allvin feels one of the 2nd tier RS dmen will be available at 23, might make some sense to move back.

NYR seem to be in some cap trouble from a quick look at Capfriendly. With Laff being RFA maybe they look to deal him. Don't think 11 for Laff+23 would get done, but might be the framework for deal...but then I'm assuming Lafreniere's value has plummeted.
J.T Miller is the piece around which the Rangers and Canucks could make something work. Rangers have some young forwards the Canucks probably covet like Lafreniere, Kaako, Chytil and Othmann. And they've long been interested in Braden Schneider, a right-shot d-man.

Obviously the Rangers were bitterly disappointed at bowing out to the Devils, and some of their younger forwards didn't get much done in the playoffs.

So it's a possibility that Miller and the 11th pick might land the Canucks Lafreniere and maybe a few other young guys.

Sadly, the Hronek trade clearly signals that the Canucks are open for business and apparently don't have a problem trading first round draft picks.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Trading away a 1st round pick in a deep draft for a half-bust former high pick player should be the last thing to do especially considering the situation that we're in.
Which is why I fully expect them to do this shit.
It’s happened, it’s over, nobody knows how good he’s gonna be.

Also, the pick was way worse than a lot of people expected

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

You have more faith in Laf then I do that's for sure.

He just seems to be lacking...............

Reactions: LordBacon

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
J.T Miller is the piece around which the Rangers and Canucks could make something work. Rangers have some young forwards the Canucks probably covet like Lafreniere, Kaako, Chytil and Othmann. And they've long been interested in Braden Schneider, a right-shot d-man.

Obviously the Rangers were bitterly disappointed at bowing out to the Devils, and some of their younger forwards didn't get much done in the playoffs.

So it's a possibility that Miller and the 11th pick might land the Canucks Lafreniere and maybe a few other young guys.

Sadly, the Hronek trade clearly signals that the Canucks are open for business and apparently don't have a problem trading first round draft picks.

Rangers have 0 cap space. Not possible.

LOL I guess it's more like how much our ex-agent AGM likes him.

Rangers might not even sign a $6.3 million offer sheet. That's only a 1st and 3rd.

Not might. That's a 100% chance they take the picks and run.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
If he’s offered to the Canucks it pretty much means that NYR have given up on him as a prospect..If the Rangers genuinely thought he was going to be a star,they wouldn’t even entertain the idea of moving him ,after only 3 seasons..

It’s far from a no brainer…More of a red flag..IMO

The Canucks are better served in finding and developing their own player with the 11th OA.
Rangers have cap issues and his ELC has expired.

I don't think you can say they are 'red flags' here given his ice time, production, and lack of PP usage. Issue is perhaps the expectations vs results aren't where they want them.

Again, I'm not saying they will trade him, it sounds like NYR know he was under utilized but to your point, doesn't seem like there are red flags here

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
LOL I guess it's more like how much our ex-agent AGM likes him.

Rangers might not even sign a $6.3 million offer sheet. That's only a 1st and 3rd.

Are you actually being serious? He's not even worth $4 mil at his current production.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Rangers have cap issues and his ELC has expired.

I don't think you can say they are 'red flags' here given his ice time, production, and lack of PP usage. Issue is perhaps the expectations vs results aren't where they want them.

Again, I'm not saying they will trade him, it sounds like NYR know he was under utilized but to your point, doesn't seem like there are red flags here

There's obviously a reason why his ice time is lower, and he doesnt play on the PP...You create your own luck, and earn your minutes in the big leagues...If a team is considering moving their 1st OA after only 3 seasons, thats a red flag imo...It doesnt mean the player has personality issues, it just means that there is now a risk/limitation associated with the player.

The Canucks also have cap issues, and we desperately need impactful ELC's on the roster....Are we going to give up the 11th OA to inherit their problem.

and again, is LW a pressing need for the Canucks..?

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
There's obviously a reason why his ice time is lower, and he doesnt play on the PP...You create your own luck, and earn your minutes in the big leagues...If a team is considering moving their 1st OA after only 3 seasons, thats a red flag imo...It doesnt mean the player has personality issues, it just means that there is now a risk/limitation associated with the player.

The Canucks also have cap issues, and we desperately need impactful ELC's on the roster....Are we going to give up the 11th OA to inherit their problem.

and again, is LW a pressing need for the Canucks..?
I think you're taking an oversimplistic view here. Do you think Lafrenierre is somehow going to earn more ice on the left side over Panarin and Kreider? It's not a red flag he's on the third line, its exactly the type of player Vegas stole from other teams in the expansion draft. Players with top 6 talent but not getting the ice time to prove it.

Second, we are cap compliant once the season starts we don't have 'cap issues' this is a misnomer. Yes we need cap to improve, we don't have cap space issues to field a line up like say Toronto, Boston, and likely Edmonton. Myer's is also an easy move post his bonus in Sept. $1 mil cash, $6 cap hit, cap floor teams will happily take a mobile RD.

Third, he's a RFA who's put up 39 points, he's getting a low cost bridge and is only 22 years old. I'd prefer a player who's proven he can play in the NHL at 22 vs. an ELC who could easily end up in the AHL or worse.

No LW is not a pressing need, however you do what you can to improve your team. De Guiseppe was our 2nd LW for most of the year. I appreciate Mikhayev was hurt but he can also play both sides.

Anyways, I am of the view if the 11th is all they want, I'd do it. You wouldn't, fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad