Post-Game Talk: Draft Lottery - Bedard going to Chicago. Canucks stay at 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Hope those meaningless wins against teams wanting to tank were worth it.

Management knew the schedule was easy in the back half and there was zero pressure after keeping Bruce through the tough part of the schedule

All orchestrated to make Tocchet look good, pad stats and use it to fool fans into buying season tickets. Fact is Bruce had a better coach bump record against a much tougher schedule than Tocchet did yet somehow people think Tocchet is some kind of genius. Overplaying a hot Demko carried them out of the draft odds

Stucture blah blah, what a pathetic advertising campaign for a team know for playing with zero structure.

Mark my words, it will be the same old shitshow once the season starts and games are meaningful once again

Chicago embraced the tank and they were rewarded for it.

This team needs a complete teardown from ownership down

Last edited:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Management knew the schedule was easy in the back half and there was zero pressure after keeping Bruce through the tough part of the schedule

All orchestrated to make Tocchet look good, pad stats and use it to fool fans into buying season tickets. Fact is Bruce had a better coach bump record against a much tougher schedule than Tocchet did yet somehow people think Tocchet is some kind of genius. Overplaying a hot Demko carried them out of the draft odds

Stucture blah blah, what a pathetic advertising campaign for a team know for playing with zero structure.

Mark my words, it will be the same old shitshow once the season starts and games are meaningful once again

This team need a complete teardown from ownership down

I was pro-tank when it was clear we were out of the playoffs but I don't dismiss the value of Tocchet coming in early and instilling new structure, culture and processes. I loved Bruce, but I think he is a great coach but poor fit for this team that lacked discipline and grit, and in some circumstances the right coach can make a real difference.

We do have strong talent on the forward corps and a good goalie, our defence is a problem with a couple pieces, but to some degree good structure and work ethic can compensate, especially when backed up by a good goalie.

If I owned the team I would have taken an aggressive step back this year in order to jump start a retool, and if we don't get the buy-in from Hughes and Petersson long-term then I'd go full rebuild (which we should have done years ago). That said, I think there's a narrow path where Tocchet with a new culture and some shrewd moves in the offseason could put them on path to a strong foundation in a couple years.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
I love getting stoned during the day also !

Dude is insane. Bedard will love Chicago and likely spend his career there.
I'll take the fact they live 3 doors down from by brother and my nephew is very close friends with him as my view thanks.

Secondly, your need to insult others shows more about you than the point being made

Thirdly, Chicago is a 'crap hole'. Its one of the most violent cities in america for gun violence and murders the idea that Bedard will love Chicago is coming from someone who clearly doesn't know or understand the issues there.

This is an insane line of thinking.

He's going to spend 7 years in Chicago. You think at no point he'll start to like the city, start to get comfortable etc? Maybe he meets his future spouse there?
yes its insane to see players who've stated they want to play in their hometown, at 25 choose to play in their hometown

particularly when my family knows his family extremely well.

Insane I tell you!

If all you have is ad hominem attacks to counter someone's view, it certainly shows the lack of strength of your own

Good luck

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
The same with McDavid, he is going to the leafs every season.
There's a small issue called a cap. and McDavid signed a long term deal so he's not a UFA

Yes UFA's always sign with the team that drafts them

SMH

oops Tavares
oops Tkachuk
oops Johnny Hockey
oops Kadri

I could go on but hopefully you see the point

This pretty much never happens.

Also the Canucks will be capped out the season he becomes a UFA.

The canucks will be capped out in 7 years? WHAT? LOL

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I know personally what I believed or what I thought about my life at 18 was very very different when I was 25.

Ultimately it's better for us if your point of view comes to fruition but I think it's unrealistic to completely write off the possibility of the other way either.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I know personally what I believed or what I thought about my life at 18 was very very different when I was 25.

Ultimately it's better for us if your point of view comes to fruition but I think it's unrealistic to completely write off the possibility of the other way either.

I remember Kesler's comment at the time about hating the Canadians and wondering why he would say something so obviously misconceived. He's 25, he's an adult, he should know better! My 16-year old brain. When I turned 25, I was like "oh yeah, I can see how."

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I remember Kesler's comment at the time about hating the Canadians and wondering why he would say something so obviously misconceived. He's 25, he's an adult, he should know better! My 16-year old brain. When I turned 25, I was like "oh yeah, I can see how."
I know it's ancient history now, but at the time I seem to recall that the Canucks were one of the most 'hated' teams in the entire NHL.

I guess the fact that the 2009-12 teams were 'really good' made them a target. But they also had guys like Kesler and Burrows, who used to enfuriate other teams and their fans. The 'hate-on' really came to the fore in those epic series with the Hawks and Sharks.

In a way it'd kind of sad though. The Canucks no longer have any of those kind of players. And as a team, they're basically 'bland x'.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
there is a fairly contentious (and fwict somewhat childish) conversation going on in this thread that i’ve only 1/3 skimmed about tanking and not tanking and when and how and shit.

so i’m not taking sides but one thing to note that might be relevant to these last two seasons is off years for teams with elite talent happen. and there are two examples where a team with mvp level pieces leaned into an off year or off stretch, got some lottery luck, and came out better for it. both would ultimately win multiple championships.

one is the san antonio spurs in a year david robinson was hurt. lottery luck helped but it got them tim duncan.

the other is tampa in 2013. two years removed from being a game away from the finals, a team with peak stamkos (and on the cusp hedman) cut bait on MSL and got drouin, who eventually turned into sergachev. with different lottery luck that could have been mackinnon or barkov.

not that we are an elite team but i had those two teams’ iso-tanks in mind the last couple years as i watched us dead coach bounce out of the basement.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I'll take the fact they live 3 doors down from by brother and my nephew is very close friends with him as my view thanks.

Secondly, your need to insult others shows more about you than the point being made

Thirdly, Chicago is a 'crap hole'. Its one of the most violent cities in america for gun violence and murders the idea that Bedard will love Chicago is coming from someone who clearly doesn't know or understand the issues there.

yes its insane to see players who've stated they want to play in their hometown, at 25 choose to play in their hometown

particularly when my family knows his family extremely well.

Insane I tell you!

If all you have is ad hominem attacks to counter someone's view, it certainly shows the lack of strength of your own

Good luck
This is incredible. Also my buddy was his coach in north van and he disagrees with you. Apologies if your feelings have been hurt. Bedard is a good kid who will likely be loyal to the organization that drafts him and invests significant resources in his development

Reactions: rypper

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
This is incredible. Also my buddy was his coach in north van and he disagrees with you. Apologies if your feelings have been hurt. Bedard is a good kid who will likely be loyal to the organization that drafts him and invests significant resources in his development
Yes I know you don't believe me thats ok. I don't need to play a childish game with you, to soothe your ego.

We can revisit this when he's up for extension from RFA through his UFA years, and when he doesn't sign the long term extension, and I'll remind you of your post lol.

We'll then see who was telling the truth won't we?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can totally buy that Bedard is disappointed it’s Chicago but I’d also be about 98% sure those feelings will be long gone 7 years from now when he’s on a winning team with tons of friends in one of the biggest sports cities in the world.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I can totally buy that Bedard is disappointed it’s Chicago but I’d also be about 98% sure those feelings will be long gone 7 years from now when he’s on a winning team with tons of friends in one of the biggest sports cities in the world.

Maybe him winning will make it more likely for him to return to Vancouver.

Kind of like "I've accomplished my goal here and it's time for a new challenge" kind of thing.

Kinda like Lebron when he left Miami.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
I agree that the Canucks are stockpiling some interesting junior and college UFA's. Guys like Bains, Hirose, McWard, Sasson and Topolito only cost the Canucks contract slots. And they've expended very few assets to acquire the likes of Kravstov, Bloom, Studnicka and Bear.

But sadly all these UFA signings don't make up for some of the lackluster drafts of the Benning years. Since 2020, the Canucks have traded three first rounders; at least four second rounders; and even later picks in the draft. This is utter lunacy for a team locked into the lottery year after year.
The longer Benning’s tenure was with the Canucks, he had to show his vision of this being a playoff team to Aquaman. He sold this vision to aquaman and he was chosen ahead of Linden to lead this team. The latter years, he was just trying to save his job. He didn’t give 2 shizats about giving up high lottery picks…it was all about him.

The Benning era set this franchise backwards 10+ years. His final parting gift…OEL.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I think Chicago is one of the "world class cities" in North America.

As a Sports City though, in some ways it seems kinda similar to Vancouver. When the Blackhawks suck, they become an afterthought. Kinda goes across a lot of their sports teams. When they're good, everyone is passionate and it's real exciting and energetic. When they suck...nobody cares. They're never in danger of getting moved or anything. But interest in Chicago sports seems to really come and go...just like it does in Vancouver, based on how the team is doing.

It's where it starts to look a little fishy that Chicago won the lottery...just as interest was waning, as their two franchise players aged out. It's a critical US TV market too. But i'm not really going to seriously indulge conspiratorial thinking on that. It's just a coincidence with a team that was genuinely terrible and tanked out this season.

But yeah. Bedard is going to probably like Chicago just fine. Good enough for Kane and Toews, probably good enough for Bedard. They're a weird team in that they've cleared the decks so thoroughly, he's going to to have some really rough early years. But they also have like a hundred and fifty draft picks and prospects coming along. At some point that's going to start to pay dividends and that point is coming earlier and earlier the way the NHL is going these days. Prospects start making an impact earlier and earlier.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

This team need a complete teardown from ownership down

i think it'll be interesting to see how long hawks suck.

coz they tore that team down to nothing

jason dickinson - top line

who tf is Buddy Robinson?

their roster looks made up. i can't remember the last time i knew so few players on a team

now, we can see if this model works

Nuckster

May 3, 2023

Quote just posted today from Bedard when asked about (probably) playing in Chicago

"Honestly, I just hope I don't get shot"

Sure sounds like a kid who wants to play in that crap city. And the gun violence is no joke, one of the worst in the USA

But you know better. lol

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Quote just posted today from Bedard when asked about (probably) playing in Chicago

"Honestly, I just hope I don't get shot"

Sure sounds like a kid who wants to play in that crap city. And the gun violence is no joke, one of the worst in the USA

But you know better. lol

You know he didn't really say that right?

Reactions: Lindgren and DFAC

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
You need to clean off your glasses pal, and reread the tweet

I'm sure he'll want to live in a crime ridden city his whole life vs playing at home in front of his family because you know, loyalty to a garbage franchise that covers up sexual assault is much more important that loyalty to your family and friends

lmao

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think Chicago is one of the "world class cities" in North America.

As a Sports City though, in some ways it seems kinda similar to Vancouver. When the Blackhawks suck, they become an afterthought. Kinda goes across a lot of their sports teams. When they're good, everyone is passionate and it's real exciting and energetic. When they suck...nobody cares. They're never in danger of getting moved or anything. But interest in Chicago sports seems to really come and go...just like it does in Vancouver, based on how the team is doing.

It's where it starts to look a little fishy that Chicago won the lottery...just as interest was waning, as their two franchise players aged out. It's a critical US TV market too. But i'm not really going to seriously indulge conspiratorial thinking on that. It's just a coincidence with a team that was genuinely terrible and tanked out this season.

But yeah. Bedard is going to probably like Chicago just fine. Good enough for Kane and Toews, probably good enough for Bedard. They're a weird team in that they've cleared the decks so thoroughly, he's going to to have some really rough early years. But they also have like a hundred and fifty draft picks and prospects coming along. At some point that's going to start to pay dividends and that point is coming earlier and earlier the way the NHL is going these days. Prospects start making an impact earlier and earlier.

Yeah, there’s no fixing of the lottery in 2023 like David Stern pulling the frozen envelope for Ewing in 1985. These things are heavily audited and the way it’s done (4 number combination) isn’t getting rigged under watchful eyes.

If anything I think the league would probably have preferred to put him in LA with the Ducks as the marketing potential would have been way higher.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I'm sure he'll want to live in a crime ridden city his whole life vs playing at home in front of his family because you know, loyalty to a garbage franchise that covers up sexual assault is much more important that loyalty to your family and friends

lmao

Yes I know you don't believe me thats ok. I don't need to play a childish game with you, to soothe your ego.

We can revisit this when he's up for extension from RFA through his UFA years, and when he doesn't sign the long term extension, and I'll remind you of your post lol.

We'll then see who was telling the truth won't we?
you think I made up that my buddy coached him for years in north van? Kind of a strange thing to lie about. You are such a weirdo lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see the Hockey Writers are speculating that the Canucks 11th overall pick could be in play in a proposed deal for Alex Lafreniere out of New York. Dhaliwal has long speculated about the Canucks long-standing interest in the former first overall pick.

I suppose where there's 'smoke' there could be come 'fire'. And it would be consistent with Rutherford and Allvin's long-stated philosophy of acquiring young assets who are coming out of their ELC's and have disappointed, but still have room to grow.

Blowing two first rounders and their second rounder in what purports to be a deep draft, would probably cause some Canuck fans to lose their minds.

Seems to me that flushing picks to acquire the likes of Hronek and possibly Lafreniere is 'doubling-down' on the failed Jim Benning strategy. But it is what it is, I guess.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
celebrini did take the pretty unusual step of graduating high school early so he could join bu before his draft year. he'll be eligible to be a ufa three years after his draft year after the 2026-27 ncaa season. he'd still have to sign an elc so he'd be giving up a ton of money relative to what he could earn if he makes the jump to the nhl at 19 or 20 though
... I know his family (Bedard). Revisit this in 7 years. He is going to be a Canuck as a UFA (similar to Tavares). And he'll only be 25 as you need 7 years in the NHL to be a UFA. He is a MAJOR Canucks fan and wants to play in front of his family.

Celebrini, UFA in 4 years. Bedard, UFA in 7 years. Odds of them signing in Vancouver seem higher than winning the draft lottery.

Regarding the spitting contest between Nuckster and DonnyNucker, and assuming both have credible sources, I want to believe what a 17 yr old teenager tells his friends and family versus what a former coach thinks his former 12 yr old player might do when he is 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad