Draft Day Predictions

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
After a day being immersed in NHL Network Radio, my sense is that the top four will be Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi and Dobson. The action is likely to start at 5 and AZ. I think that’s when Gorton turns up the heat of trading up. If AZ takes Zadina, then Detroit takes Hughes. If that happens, I think the Rangers trade up tor Tkachuk, and Vancouver takes Bouchard.

I think there’s a very good chance the Rangers come away with either Tkachuk or Wahlstrom. However, if both are off the board, my money is on the pick being Kravtsov.

I also wonder how much Boqvist is going to drop?

Reactions: eco's bones

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
After a day being immersed in NHL Network Radio, my sense is that the top four will be Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi and Dobson. The action is likely to start at 5 and AZ. I think that’s when Gorton turns up the heat of trading up. If AZ takes Zadina, then Detroit takes Hughes. If that happens, I think the Rangers trade up tor Tkachuk, and Vancouver takes Bouchard.

I think there’s a very good chance the Rangers come away with either Tkachuk or Wahlstrom. However, if both are off the board, my money is on the pick being Kravtsov.

I also wonder how much Boqvist is going to drop?

Don’t forget where you heard it first. I said it repeatedly during the U18s and I knew nothing about him going into it. I said by the end of it I’d be shocked if Montreal didn’t take him or trade down to take him he’s the best center in the draft.

And I’m sure someone will go back and check and I hope you do.

Kid is a stud. Look where he is now. I’d still be shocked if he’s not Montreal’s pick.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Brooks all but confirmed my sinking suspicion that Boqvist probably isn't on their list.

Not that anything he said was a smoking gun, but it did fall in line with what I wasn't hearing and starting to fear.

I was more referring to if he gets picked before the NYR pick at 9 and who would still be left for the Rangers.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rivals gang !

Cherneski pick had a lukewarm reaction, all the guys we talked up were taken 12-18 and we picked at 19. My pick Scott Hannah went a few spots later to the Sharks. The commentators made fun of a chubby Brendan Morrow, he was one of the top 7 players out of that first round.

Man, I am disappointed that my Cherneski game used jersey is down at my parents' house. I normally wear that on draft night.

Reactions: Sarge13

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I was more referring to if he gets picked before the NYR pick at 9 and who would still be left for the Rangers.

If he goes before 9, it’s potentially even more options the Rangers might have ranked higher.

Assuming 1-2-3 is Dahlin, Svechnikov and Kotkaniemi:

I’ll be watching to see what happens if Dobson goes fourth, which I think is a good possibility.

I’m curious to see if that starts a run on defensemen. Arizona could break that by going with Zadina or Tkachuk, but they’re also said to really like Hughes.

If the Yotes with Hughes, Detroit is looking at a scenario in which two of the three players they’ve been linked to are off the board —Kotkaniemi and Hughes. However, they’ve been said to really like Bouchard.

That would “complete” the run on defensemen, assuming Boqvist is higher on the list for the remaining teams. It would also leave Tkachuk, Wahlstrom and Zadina on the board.

Vancouver likely won’t have interest in Wahlstrom, but the other two could very well be in play.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
They'll likely follow last years approach. Take a "safe" "guaranteed" future NHL-er and a couple of swing for the fences types.

I am OK with that approach, take somebody you know will at least be a good player in NHL rather than "a maybe" with big holes in his game.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am hoping for some higher upside picks.

Zadina, Wahlstrom, Hughes, Dobson

O'Brien, Thomas, Foudy, Wilde.

I think some of them may be realistically there for the Rangers.

I don't want to see them trade up, I just don't think it is going to be worthwhile.

Please don't ruin my weekend.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And Larry Brooks is finally playing catching up what's been said on here:

It has been said and re-said that the Rangers do not believe they would get a better player at, say, six than nine. One caveat: if Brady Tkachuk slides past five or six, then maybe, just maybe, the Blueshirts would be willing to add a sweetener in order to move up a few slots to reunite the truculent winger with his college coach. But that seems a longshot.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/22/rangers-employing-rebuild-plan-they-havent-tried-in-40-years/

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Trade up to get Tkachuk or stay put and get Wahlstrom.

That's a tough call.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Aside from Tkachuk being a good player, is the Ranger blogosphere gushing over him because of the "Boston Connection", or is he a really good player, but someone on the internet hinted he will be available at 9, so he becomes more awesome than had we had no chance if he were a lock for lets say 5th pick?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Aside from Tkachuk being a good player, is the Ranger blogosphere gushing over him because of the "Boston Connection", or is he a really good player, but someone on the internet hinted he will be available at 9, so he becomes more awesome than had we had no chance if he were a lock for lets say 5th pick?

Don't think it's a Boston thing or the shuffling thing.

The Rangers are keenly interested in Tkachuk. Not at any cost mind you, but he's there.

And I'm starting to suspect he's there at 3 on their list.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yes, under that scenario, Hughes, Dobson and Bouchard all went in the first 8 picks, along with Dahlin, Svechnikov and Kotkaniemi.

As a result, at least one of Zadina, Tkachuk and Wahlstrom is guaranteed to be on the board at 9.
There is nothing not to like about that pick. The only question is does Gorton stand put and let one of them fall into his lap or does he make the move for a Tkuchuk or a Zadina?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think if the rangers are sitting at 9...and pick 7 comes up..and zadina tkachuk and wahlstrom are all in the board. They should move up to get the one they want....not the one they will be satisfied with.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There is nothing not to like about that pick. The only question is does Gorton stand put and let one of them fall into his lap or does he make the move for a Tkuchuk or a Zadina?

Right now, I get the feeling he'd make the call and move up and not have to sweat it. Again, if the cost is reasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad