Draft Day Predictions

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Regardless of our recollections, no one thought Getzlaf would be what he became. If he was 6'1 and not 6'4 he's not a 1st. He was a size draftee and one of the few that panned out, but here we are. Remember this is Michael Rasmussen, the size draftee of 2017, pans out. Because no one thinks he will aorn. Michael Rupp was a top 10 size guy and afaik he never even scored 10 goals. We all know nothing. :D

I dunno, Getzlaf was pretty popular around these parts.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Phaneuf, though we knew he wouldn’t be there at 12, followed by Getzlaf and Parise were the board faves in ‘03.

Comically enough I think people were afraid we were going to take Steve Bernier.

Reactions: Sarge13

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Phaneuf, though we knew he wouldn’t be there at 12, followed by Getzlaf and Parise were the board faves in ‘03.

Comically enough I think people were afraid we were going to take Steve Bernier.

That’s correct. Bernie’s was a fear.

I was campaigning for Getzlaf.

Phaneuf was probably the board choice.

Dustin Brown was an early favorite who faded a little as the season wore on.

Nathan Horton and Anthony Stewart were also popular.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Phaneuf was the board fave, but we all knew he would never make it to our pick so mostly we talked up others.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
That’s correct. Bernie’s was a fear.

I was campaigning for Getzlaf.

Phaneuf was probably the board choice.

Dustin Brown was an early favorite who faded a little as the season wore on.

Nathan Horton and Anthony Stewart were also popular.

To this day, I don't know why the Panthers selected Horton and Stewart that year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Horton was the guy who at one time was projected to be the top pick.

People on here changed posted pictures of a Horton Rangers jersey. I want to say someone made one his avatar.

Stewart was the raw, semi-unpolished kid who had people saying, “just imagine what he might be in five years.”

Nothing we’re saying about prospects in this draft is new. We’ve been in love before.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Horton was the guy who at one time was projected to be the top pick.

People on here changed posted pictures of a Horton Rangers jersey. I want to say someone made one his avatar.

Stewart was the raw, semi-unpolished kid who had people saying, “just imagine what he might be in five years.”

Nothing we’re saying about prospects in this draft is new. We’ve been in love before.
Rastislav olesz.....I thought for sure he was a superstar in the making.

Sigh

Reactions: Sarge13 and jas

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
2004 was just as weird. Olesz was the consensus favorite since we were sure Ladd would be gone.

There were some Tukonen and Radulov fans. I feel like one of the regular posters (Larry Melynk? I don’t think it was TB) was obsessed with Tukonen.

And definitely some VOCAL Schremp fans. I feel like Jon was either a big fan or arguing with the big fans.

Aside from Schremp I think the biggest worry was Stafford. We were definitely picking Stafford and the end was nigh.

Reactions: Alexei Kovalev 27

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Some of us were posting and reporting all the way back in 1997. :loony::loony::loony:

Rivals gang !

Cherneski pick had a lukewarm reaction, all the guys we talked up were taken 12-18 and we picked at 19. My pick Scott Hannah went a few spots later to the Sharks. The commentators made fun of a chubby Brendan Morrow, he was one of the top 7 players out of that first round.

Reactions: pld459666

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Rivals gang !

Cherneski pick had a lukewarm reaction, all the guys we talked up were taken 12-18 and we picked at 19. My pick Scott Hannah went a few spots later to the Sharks. The commentators made fun of a chubby Brendan Morrow, he was one of the top 7 players out of that first round.

Was never part of rivals. Was part of the old griffiti board back in the day, started writing for Hockey’s Future in 1997 after the Taylor’s noticed some writing I did for another site.

Used my work connections to get some fun stories and the rest was history.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Was never part of rivals. Was part of the old griffiti board back in the day, started writing for Hockey’s Future in 1997 after the Taylor’s noticed some writing I did for another site.

Used my work connections to get some fun stories and the rest was history.

I thought you were part of the rivals crew with Singin, Melrose, fitzy, pld, Jon.... it's been so long it's really hard to keep track... my name is changed a few times since then.

I wrote some of the first echl articles on this site, Trenton Titan connections lol

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Around the NHL:

- Kotkaniemi goes 3rd
-Ottawa keeps the 4th overall
-Tkachuk goes top 5
-The second defenseman off the board after Dahlin is Quinn Hughes
-Boqvist falls out of the top 10
-Chicago takes a player at 8th that most of HFNYR wants, pandemonium ensues
-The Islanders trade one of their 2nd rounders for a goalie
-Philadelphia trades up
-Florida trades back
-Calgary trades into the end of the 1st round
-Washington trades the 31st overall
-Montreal trades at least two of their four 2nd rounders
-Farabee falls to the late teens if the Rangers don't take him, Rangers may trade up if he drops past Philly's 14th overall
-Bode Wilde falls out of the 1st round
-Jake Wise gets selected in the 1st round
-Mattias Samuelsson doesn't get taken in the 1st round
-K'Andre Miller goes top 20
-Denisenko falls to the end of the 1st round, Kravtsov goes top 15
-Jack Drury gets taken in the 2nd round
-Adam Mascherin gets taken early in the 3rd round

Rangers Centric:

-Rangers keep 9th overall
-Spooner and the 26th overall, and maybe the 48th overall are used to trade up into the mid teens between 13-16 overall
-Rangers keep the 28th overall
-Hayes stays
-Zuccarello stays
-Namestnikov stays
-Vesey stays

9th overall: Joel Farabee
16th overall (trade with Colorado: Spooner, 26th, 48th for 16th and 58th overall: Rasmus Sandin
28th overall: Jake Wise
39th overall: Nils Lundkvist
58th overall: Jack Drury

For my one wild, off the wall prediction, I will say that CHRIS KREIDER gets dealt.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If Chicago needs somebody like Spooner or Namestnikov we could do a #9, #39, Spooner/Namestnikov for #8, #27, and #193 (7th round). This would give us better chance of drafting somebody we really like with the 1st pick and would give us 3 straight picks #36, 27, 28.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Tkachuk, Dobson, Koktaniemi and Wahlstrom going in with alot of buzz, they will all be off the board by 9. Hughes is not too far behind.

Dahlin
Svech
Kokta
Dobson
Tkachuk
Hughes
Zadina
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Boqvist
Hayton
Smith
Veleno
Farabee
Kravstov

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Namestnikov to Arizona for 55OA
Shestyorkin, Buchnevich, our 2nd this year, our 2nd next year to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson
Zuccarello + 26OA to Dallas for 13OA + some B-prospect

9OA: Oliver Wahlstrom
13OA: Joel Farabee
28OA: Alexander Alexeyev

Karlsson trade is bad news.

Hank is nearly done - Shestyorkin should be untouchable.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
They'll likely follow last years approach. Take a "safe" "guaranteed" future NHL-er and a couple of swing for the fences types.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Updated Mock:

Rasmus
Svech
Kotkaniemi
Dobson
Thachuk
Hughes
Bouchard
Zadina
Wahlstrom
Smith
Hayton
Farrabee
Denisenko
Boqvist
Kravstov

26: Beaudin
28: Foudy
39: Woo
47: Nordgren

A lot of the hotter names will go earlier than 26 & 28. The Bokks, Wilde, Miller, Noel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->