GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I've had that feeling for months and have not liked it.

I'm sure he will be a fan favorite, how that turns out towards winning versus losing compared to what a goal scorer, a puck transporter, or a D who can log near half a playoff game could do for them I question very much.
I'll say this from watching him. He's a really good skater, a heck of a passer, and has a very high hockey IQ. But that's not enough for me to take him over Zadina or Wahlstrom.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Sometimes players who have 'limited upside' but a complete game surprise you with their offensive output at the NHL level.

No one thought Brad Marchand would ever be a top 10 NHL scorer. I see the Tkachuk bros in a similar light (Though Matthew is a douche nozzle)

Reactions: Inferno

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Any chance Akil Thomas is there at 26 or 28? I only ask because I’m good gaming buddies with his cousin and he’s been telling me for years watch out for Akil

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I kind of feel like anyone who isn't flying down the wing at 100 mph and roofing a shot is getting undersold right now - Tkachuk, Farabee, Bouchard, etc.

Which is funny because this fan base absolutely HATES floaters and there's more than few guys mentioned on here that for all their "upside" and "ceiling" and "home run" potential, would very, very easily be considered floaters around here if people saw them with enough regularity this season.

yeah people want really high skill players who dominate the puck, score at will, and pass like Gretzky, but expect to get those guys anywhere in the draft.

I'd be fine with Tkachuk at 9, might not even mind if they trade up a bit to take him, though I kind of want Wahlstrom instead if they're both available

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Food for thought on this early morning before the draft....

What if the player they are thinking will comfortably still be there at No. 9 is Ty Smith?

Discuss :popcorn:

Also, I'd be pretty upset if they took Tkachuk when a potentially sliding Zadina and/or Boqvist could be there. Or even Wahlstrom for that matter....

Smith is 12th on my list, so I like him better than most.

But that would probably feel like a slight letdown, mainly because there will be guys I have higher up for grabs.

The board would implode.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think Brady's tkachuk playing with kreider and zibanejad or chytil and someone like lias who I think ultimately ends up on wing...can put up some very big numbers...the kids da guy who makes everyone around him better not just with his skill...but his size and his temperament

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Continuing the conversation from the previous thread.

I think we might be selling Tkachuk's skill level and production significantly short.

It's not like Tkachuk skated aimlessly around his first year of college.

He scored 8 goals and 31 points in 40 games as a freshman.

By comparison, Mittelstadt scored 11 goals and 30 points in 34 games.

That projects to a four point difference over the same number of games, and Mittelstadt is a year older and a player whose main course is offense.

That's not saying all things are equal and a comparison paints an accurate picture, but Tkachuk is a skilled player.

I have Brady at #6, and i dont think he will be there at #9. I wouldnt be dissapointed but my top 3 remain Zadina, Hughes Wahlstrom in that order.

Some thoughts on Tkachuk...

6) Brady Tkachuk C/LW 6’3 195lbs LHS Boston University H.E – One of the best “Character” guy in the draft. Brady Tkachuk is a hybrid. He’s a physical player, who imposes his will, yet is talented enough to play in the top 6. So when he does play Phyiscal it’s against the oppositions top lines. Why is this important? For the same reason Brad Marchand, Wayne Simmonds, Ryan Getzlaf, Jamie Benn have all had tremendous careers thus far. 3rd and 4th line grinders are a dime a dozen. Guys that can do it all the time, and have the skill to stay in your top 6 are very few and far between and worth their weight in gold. This is why Brady is ranked as high as 3, or 4 when his goal totals for BU paint a different story. He’s an Intimidating player, who will be hated in no time by the rest of the clubs in his division. He can also score some clutch goals. An all-around better version of Tom Wilson. I think Tkachuk is going to give defenseman a really hard time at the NHL level by being an imposing force down low and along the walls. Some places rank him up in the top 5, even as high as 3. I have him ranked #6. I would be happy if he somehow fell to #9 and was selected by the Rangers. Quinn is very familiar with Tkachuk. Had great things to say about Brady.

Potential- Top 6 Power Forward
Player Comparision- A smore skilled version of Tom Wilson

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Anybody else see the tweet by a Joshua Marshall that the rangers are on the verge of acquiring Karlsson? Guy looks like a fake, but who knows...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Brady's tkachuk playing with kreider and zibanejad or chytil and someone like lias who I think ultimately ends up on wing...can put up some very big numbers...the kids da guy who makes everyone around him better not just with his skill...but his size and his temperament

I mean...yes, so long as he can actually apply his skills at the NHL level

for all the love Tom Wilson has gotten lately, he was a detriment to his team during the regular season and pretty much his entire career until these playoffs (where I haven't checked the analytics but I wouldn't be totally surprised if he actually didn't grade out there as well as people think). Tkachuk needs to be far more than another Tom Wilson IMO

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
yeah people want really high skill players who dominate the puck, score at will, and pass like Gretzky, but expect to get those guys anywhere in the draft.

I'd be fine with Tkachuk at 9, might not even mind if they trade up a bit to take him, though I kind of want Wahlstrom instead if they're both available

All things being equal, and it's up to me, I'd take Zadina over Tkachuk and Wahlstrom.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I have Brady at #6, and i dont think he will be there at #9. I wouldnt be dissapointed but my top 3 remain Zadina, Hughes Wahlstrom in that order.

6) Brady Tkachuk C/LW 6’3 195lbs LHS Boston University H.E – One of the best “Character” guy in the draft. Brady Tkachuk is a hybrid. He’s a physical player, who imposes his will, yet is talented enough to play in the top 6. So when he does play Phyiscal it’s against the oppositions top lines. Why is this important? For the same reason Brad Marchand, Wayne Simmonds, Ryan Getzlaf, Jamie Benn have all had tremendous careers thus far. 3rd and 4th line grinders are a dime a dozen. Guys that can do it all the time, and have the skill to stay in your top 6 are very few and far between and worth their weight in gold. This is why Brady is ranked as high as 3, or 4 when his goal totals for BU paint a different story. He’s an Intimidating player, who will be hated in no time by the rest of the clubs in his division. He can also score some clutch goals. An all-around better version of Tom Wilson. I think Tkachuk is going to give defenseman a really hard time at the NHL level by being an imposing force down low and along the walls. Some places rank him up in the top 5, even as high as 3. I have him ranked #6. I would be happy if he somehow fell to #9 and was selected by the Rangers. Quinn is very familiar with Tkachuk. Had great things to say about Brady.

Hmm, I do like Smores...I'm aboard the Tkachuk bandwagon now!

Reactions: lucky13

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I have Tkachuk 7th, though he's fairly interchangeable at 6 for me.

I also think he is significantly more than a skilled version of Tom Wilson.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
All things being equal, and it's up to me, I'd take Zadina over Tkachuk and Wahlstrom.

Agreed, but too many people are turning their nose up at Tkachuk. He's pretty much a 100% shot at a top 6 NHL player, and has the potential to be one of those unique well-rounded players who can do everything.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Where's our most pressing need for the pool? As always, that elite talent. But we especially need strong wing depth, which can be also helped with centers. Wahlstrom may be a case of both BPA and drafting for need. Hoping we come out of this draft with some good F prospects and at least one strong D prospect.

C: Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Nieves, Tambo, Fogarty, Fontaine, Barron, Virta, Lakatos
LW: Schneider, Gettinger, Gropp, Leedahl
RW: Lettieri, Lindqvist, Meskanen, Ronning, Bernhardt
D: Gilmour, O'Gara, Sproul, Bigras,Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, Day, Pedrie, Crawley, Reunanen, Sjalin, Nanne
G: Georgiev Huska, Wall, Halverson, Shestyerkin

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If we ended up with zadina I'd be ecstatic. If we ended up with wahlstrom I'd be ecstatic. I think this is where I different from a lot of ppl here..there are a number of guys where if we got them...I wouldn't focus on who we passed up but how fantastic the player we got is. Of course if we end up taking hayton I'll be effing pissed

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Oh for sure, me too, I just think for all the talk of Zadina falling, the Rangers won't have a chance to draft him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad