GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
College stats are difficult, almost impossible to translate or properly interpret.

Eichel scored 71 in 40 his predraft year. Kevin Hayes didn't hit 30 points until he was 22.

It's all over the place. Really the only way to evaluate NCAA performance is to scout the games, and even then there's confusion. I thought Greg Carey and Kyle Flanagan were almost surefire NHLers.

Very true.

In this case, I think Tkachuk is a very good prospect.

But the funny thing is, for as much time as I've spent somewhat defending Tkachuk, Bouchard and Farabee, none of them are even in my top 6.

I just think they're being very undersold, especially when we're talking about holding the 9th pick.

On the flip side, I don't think people really understand just how invisible a guy like Kravtsov was for long stretches this season.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Islanders at 11 or 12, IMO. I wouldn't mind him at No. 9 for NYR!!

It's crazy. I just saw a few mocks where he wasn't even a top 20 pick or 1st rounder. WTF....this dude's getting criminally underrated.

I think the fish will do well if they take him with 12th overall.

Reactions: Joey Bones

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm hoping that if the Rangers really want Farabee, they trade up to 13-16 to draft him there. I think he'll be around after the Islanders' picks. I think the Islanders take a defenseman and a center if they keep both picks. That would mean Veleno/Hayton and Smith/Boqvist.

Think Dallas goes Boqvist or Kravtsov. If not Dallas, Kravtsov is off the board by Philly's pick at 14. That leaves Farabee on the board at 15, potentially 16 if Florida wants a defenseman or a center. Don't think Farabee gets past NJ at 17 by any stretch. The Rangers would have to trade up to about 13-16 if they want him.

Take the faller (Wahlstrom, Zadina (!)) at 9. Get Farabee in the middle of the 1st, and that's a slam dunk of a 1st round.

I am doubtful Dallas goes Kravtsov after what has occurred with Nichuskin running back to the KHL.

I think he slips further than people are expecting

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Maybe the Rangers just don't think some of the high ceiling prospects are as high ceiling as we think?

I sense we've adopted the Pronman approach to some extent in the last couple of years:

Skills = talent and higher ceiling

I don't know if that's necessarily the case.

Spending a day listening to NHL Network Radio, the take I consistently heard was that Tkachuk’s has as high a ceiling as anyone in this draft. Physically he’s got the frame to be a monster. His skill set is being drastically underrated by his critics here.

If he’s the Rangers’ target, I’m good.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I just woke up in a cold sweat about the draft.

First six went Dahlin, Svech, Kotka, Zadina, Dobson, Bouchard.

We then traded Hayes+9 for the 7 to draft Hayton.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Spending a day listening to NHL Network Radio, the take I consistently heard was that Tkachuk’s has as high a ceiling as anyone in this draft. Physically he’s got the frame to be a monster. His skill set is being drastically underrated by his critics here.

If he’s the Rangers’ target, I’m good.

I kind of feel like anyone who isn't flying down the wing at 100 mph and roofing a shot is getting undersold right now - Tkachuk, Farabee, Bouchard, etc.

Which is funny because this fan base absolutely HATES floaters and there's more than few guys mentioned on here that for all their "upside" and "ceiling" and "home run" potential, would very, very easily be considered floaters around here if people saw them with enough regularity this season.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I am not anti Tkachuk, I think he would be a fine pick if the Rangers already had more high ceiling prospects.

As is I just do not see a gifted goal scorer in their prospect pool, nor a prospect who is to become a "can stop him" puck transporter.

If I thought this stockpiling of draft picks was going to go on beyond this draft perhaps I'd think differently, like maybe next draft they can focus on that other stuff but I just don't see it playing out that way. I just do not trust their patience level regardless of what Brooks writes.

The other thread got locked, so I couldn't / dont know how to quote from that thread, but the most talented player does not always mean the best player. I hate to go back to the 2003 draft but it is a great example. Zherdev went #4 as the most talented player in the draft, and his talent was undeniable, but there were a lot of players that were picked after him, while having less talent, were significantly better players and had better and longer careers.

Talent does not a good player make.......

Reactions: TheTakedown

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Starting to get the feeling we are trading up for Tkachuk.

I've had that feeling for months and have not liked it.

I'm sure he will be a fan favorite, how that turns out towards winning versus losing compared to what a goal scorer, a puck transporter, or a D who can log near half a playoff game could do for them I question very much.

Reactions: GregSirico

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
would anything here be willing to take on corey perry with salary retained for a troy terry or maybe a young defensemen like montour or josh manson? I think it could make sense for the rangers.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If zucc is still a ranger come the end of the draft...that's very worrisome to me.

The market to move players at the draft is tricky because you're battling other GM's who think they can get guys in free agency a week from now. Once July 1st hits and those GM's miss out, the market gets better. I'd be a little surprised to see any Rangers players moved today, but after July 1st I think a couple guys will go.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
would anything here be willing to take on corey perry with salary retained for a troy terry or maybe a young defensemen like montour or josh manson? I think it could make sense for the rangers.

I'd consider Perry with $$ retained IF Anaheim paid appropriately. 3 years left @ $8.625m. Say they retian $2.265m for a $6m cap hit and throw in Max Jones +

Reactions: Jackson Ranger

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Food for thought on this early morning before the draft....

What if the player they are thinking will comfortably still be there at No. 9 is Ty Smith?

Discuss :popcorn:

Also, I'd be pretty upset if they took Tkachuk when a potentially sliding Zadina and/or Boqvist could be there. Or even Wahlstrom for that matter....

If the pick was Ty Smith that would set me off a bit. If D is what they are thinking, I like all of Hughes Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist over him. I think one of the aforementioend will be there at #9. I don't even dislike Smith as a player. I dislike him at #9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad