GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Good not great is the point though. You need elite high end talents to win a championship in todays NHL.

40 goals and 85 point scorers.

That is what has held this franchise back from winning a Stanley Cup.

Tavares has been in the league for how long? How many championships has he won?

They are no closer to that with Barzal.

Getting those elite high end talents (beyond the #1 theu #5 picks) is complete luck.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
My problem with the draft was that you can't land socring wingers on ELCs if you don't draft any in rounds 2-4. That's awful percentages.

On Miller; please be patient with him. He's not going to be here until at minimum April 2021. Maybe he joins the Rangers for a playoff push then a la Kreider in 2012. Leave him alone and let him continue to learn the game.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Tavares has been in the league for how long? How many championships has he won?

They are no closer to that with Barzal.

Getting those elite high end talents (beyond the #1 theu #5 picks) is complete luck.

So the Rangers haven't been able to develop a Rakell, Perry, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Kucherov, Point, Kopitar, Boeser, Giroux, Gaudreau, Monahan, Nylander, Rantanen, Aho, Kuznetsov, Stone, Forsberg, Tarasenko, Trocheck, Scheifele, Couture, Benn, etc. because they are unlucky?

Seriously @Alluckks, how come our great management that isn't allowed to be questioned or else you get blocked is one of maybe three in the league that has been unable to draft and develop an elite highly skilled forward?

Last edited:

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
It's not often a player only plays a position for two seasons and was going to be drafted in the top 25. Wilde was dropping hard for awhile now. There is absolutely a reason for that. Wilde has upside for sure, but Miller has far more upside long-term.
Wilde at 39 would have been something.
Samuelsson at 28 was my pick. Liked some of his attributes.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
A bit to the party on this but are people really mad about the defense picks because they are similar to others in the system?

Defense takes longer to develop but hold their value better. We should be delighted if our problem is our defense is redundant at the nhl level. Trade them off for wings when the time comes.

Their strategy is a bit clearer after this draft. Take defense now, let them develop. Take forwards later, and in general they will be ready around the same time. This isn't half assed, they aren't bailing early. This will be a legit rebuild.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Ok so we don't want to dress a skeleton squad so they've decided to keep Zucc around but they want to move one of Hayes or Zibanejad because reasons?

That return better be ****ing phenomenal.

Who knows maybe they tried to trade Zucc but the return was a paltry one. If they trade either Hayes or Zibby you're right the return better be very very very good.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
No he doesn't, but wing is a MUCH easier position to fill, not to mention I think they should break one of Chytil/Andersson in at that position anyway.
Well they want them to play Center, so that's not going to happen it seems. If they are going to trade Hayes or Zibanejad, they should trade Zucc and Kreider as well though. Keep Namestnikov and Spooner so they have some talent on the wings.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I have a simple answer to Larry’s trade dilemma: keep both. Why gut the center depth even more to the point where we have exactly one NHL center? Make Chytil earn a spot and shift Lias over to wing if he needs more ice time.

This team is still lacking the depth necessary to be competitive in our division. The defense is incredibly raw, and I’m not expecting them to get a hang of Quinn’s system until Thanksgiving- and by then, they might be out of it. So instead of gutting the team just to gut it, keep your two valuable centers and insulate your top two prospects as they grow through this season. I’ll be incredibly annoyed if we trade Hayes just to get a younger forward that we neglected to draft yesterday.

What’s Gorton’s end game here? Move one of these guys now to hope that Chytil, Lias, or Howden can replace them in the next year or two? This isn’t even me being against a rebuild; I’m against them doing something I see as potentially stupid and dangerous. They’d have to target a kid that’s crushed it in a D+1/2 year like Kyrou or Rob Thomas as a centerpiece to make it even worth it.
That’s what I sent back to him on twitter. If it becomes wildly bad by then, then trade one for a lottery pick.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
A bit to the party on this but are people really mad about the defense picks because they are similar to others in the system?

Defense takes longer to develop but hold their value better. We should be delighted if our problem is our defense is redundant at the nhl level. Trade them off for wings when the time comes.

Their strategy is a bit clearer after this draft. Take defense now, let them develop. Take forwards later, and in general they will be ready around the same time. This isn't half assed, they aren't bailing early. This will be a legit rebuild.
I keep seeing this repeated, but the evidence doesn't seem to support this. In fact, Defenseman reach their peaks slightly before forwards do according to the data available.

A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)
A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 2)

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I agree. Grades are just for fun. Fans like them. But the Rangers' draft sucked.

But I think Andersson is not a superior prospect to Mittelstadt. Mittlestadt is far more dynamic, creative, quicker, skilled etc. He's the pick I wanted when it came to No. 7.

Wilde's offense is already developed. Can say the same about Wilde's defense improving as well.

Trust Lou's judgement way more than Gorton or Clarke.

Oh please. Cut the nonsense. My agenda is I want the Rangers to win the Stanley Cup and draft impact players. I have nothing to do with Sportsnet. I can't stop them from quoting me.

The issue is trading up to overdraft Miller. It was an overpayment. If there is a gap in Miller's favor between he and Wilde in terms of on-ice skills, it's microscopic. Sandin is another story. He's superior to both.
Are you a Rangers fan?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't understand why they have to move either Hayes or Zibenajed THIS summer. Makes zero sense. If you truly want to tank, fine, but if you want to compete and you don't have elite talent, you need four lines to all have a role. Just because Hayes/Ziba/Chytil are the top three centers doesn't mean Anderson is going to have a Blair Betts role. Geez. The odds all three play a full 82 games is basically zero. Kids can move around and play center or wing at times. Sometimes one will be hot or have a good stretch, others not so much. If you trade Hayes, then when Ziba get his usual 6-8 week injury, your top two centers are literally Chytil and Anderson. That's some Buffalo Sabres style tanking.

As for UFAs, possible targets I'd go for:

1. Filppula-Guy is a winner. Strong vet who has Cup experience and can teach the kids how to play the right way. There's a reason he wore an "A" in Philly even though he wasn't there very long and was a cap dump. I'd glue Anderson to him and make them a duo. He can play all three forward positions, PP, PK, faceoffs. If Ziba does get hurt again and the kids are struggling, he can be a 2C and do an adequate job at this point in his career. He should be the new Fedotenko of this team.

2. Grabner-Guy was a joy to watch here. Even if he doesn't score like he did, he's a leader and would be a great lockeroom presence. Knows the guys and vice versa.

3. Calvert-I pick him over Roussell because he's less reckless. Hard worker who is all motor. Him and Fast on the PK would be fun.

4. Derek Ryan-Another versatile guy who is insurance in case Howden and one of Anderson and Chytil need more time or have to be scratched occasionally. RH shot who can win faceoffs and can be on a #2 PP unit.

No interest in Wingels. Guy is 30 and performed worse than all four I listed above. Roussel is interesting but he's one of those guys I think teams are going to overpay for. He had a horrible year and sometimes for undersized guys who play that smash mouth style (as Pierre would say) in their late 20s, that's not a fluke (see Callahan, Ryan).

As for bigtime UFAs. Nothing much this summer. Go in hard next year for either Seguin or Pannarin if they make it there. And then good luck to LA resigning Toffoli in two years. That Kovalchuk contract is going to make it very difficult. He's a guy I'd go after in 2020 and that's when you buy out a Staal or Smith with barely any term left.

I'm not saying with the moves above this team will compete this season, but there's a possibility they play with energy and greater than the sum of their parts and do something like the 2010-11 squad did. That was a fun team to watch and they did it all with a decent defense (novice McD and Sauer), like four kids busting their behinds (Pack Line and Stepan) and a bunch of fourth liners who got third line minutes (Boyle/Prust/Feds). Gaborik had a bad shoulder that season, and Drury and Prospal barely played. I think this roster already has more talent than that team did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad