GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is pretty much how I feel. People always think I hate the players picked. I don't. It's where they were picked, or the strategy behind picking them.

I've written glowingly about Miller for 12 months. He has legit potential to either anchor a middle pairing or support a top pairing. But the truth is they put too much value into a kid that does not have franchise-changing potential. The smart move would have been to let Minnesota draft Miller, let Ottawa take JBD, and Rangers taken a combination of Sandin/Alexeyev/Samuelsson/Lundkvist/Berggren/Veleno/Ylonen at 26 and 28, take Wilde at 39 and Tychonick at 48.

To me

Sandin+Berggren+Wilde+Tychonick destroys Miller+Lundkvist+Lindbom 100000/100000

or even Samuelsson+Lundkvist+McLeod+Hallander

Why are people not seeing this? Miller was not a unique prospect in this draft. There were so many like him.

like who?

Reactions: haveandare

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I tend to agree. Seems very Snow-like sticking to the consensus. We'll see how close Lou sticks to it next year.
You can either do your own scouting or let the media do it for you, it sure has worked out well for teams like the Oilers

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I thought Lou had essentially nothing to do with the draft in Toronto? And I'd be willing to bet he had essentially nothing to do with this Islanders draft with him just being hired a month ago
I would venture to say that some of their perceived success is due to the turn over. They had to keep it simple and likely drafted close to the consensus because the lack of trust and intimate knowledge with each other. Their draft closely resembled what people expected, hence why people like their picks.

I'd like to remember this little factoid later. If they do well, it would be an interesting hypothesis that teams overthink the draft.

Of course, they had a lot of great prospects fall into their lap.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I wasn't clear but I'm think more of breaking into the league. I could be wrong, and thanks for actually providing some evidence, but it seems like it's much easier to break in at forward as an 18-20 year old than a defender.
You were clear and I agree with what you said

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't understand comparing us to the Islanders. They had picks 11 and 12, of course they were going to get 2 really good prospects there. People think Wilde is a good pick just because where projections had him, but plenty of teams passed on him and he slid, I'd say it is more likely than not there is some merit as to why his draft stock fell down quite a bit. At the end of the day I shouldn't be surprised as how many people want to spend time talking about what we didn't get rather than what we did get.

There are plenty out there who think we had a pretty good draft.

Corey Pronman had our draft ranked as 8th best, tied with 5 other teams. He gave us a B, with the average grade being a B-. The 7 teams in front of us were the Sabres, Canes, Habs, Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks, Islanders. 6 teams that picked in front of us and then one team that had 2 picks in the Top 12. Pronman said he rates it on quality of players taken overall, and not on where the players were drafted.
Before the draft I would have taken the 11/12th picks over the 9th, 26 and 28th. f*** you Calgary.
The Islanders were guaranteed to get two studs. The Fact so many teams passed on Wahlstrom and Dobson (including edmonton) cemented that. They did very well in the second round as opposed to ours which was non existent unfortunately.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Before the draft I would have taken the 11/12th picks over the 9th, 26 and 28th. **** you Calgary.
The Islanders were guaranteed to get two studs. The Fact so many teams passed on Wahlstrom and Dobson (including edmonton) cemented that. They did very well in the second round as opposed to ours which was non existent unfortunately.
You mean they did a good job sticking to published rankings.

There are 31 organizational rankings that we simply do not know, and inside each of those 31 rankings is a lot more time, money, and effort than the rest of the all the media rankings combined

Reactions: jas and haveandare

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

How much would he be willing to take and more importantly term. I would be cool for sure giving him 2-3 years. After the finish to his season I would say the price tag could range anywhere from 1.75-3.5 million per.
I am a huge Grabner fan (work ethic, speed, fitness, pk ability) albeit I understand some people are worried if he will flourish under another coach?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

might be able to get him super cheap after how bad he was in nj. but he's probably the one guy that will be worse outside of AV's system

and there is still plenty of time for trades, but after no one was moved at the deadline i'm not sure where grabner would fit...unless you are keeping all the kids in hartford there aren't many spots open

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I know thread is about this years draft but we now have a team that probably has a top 5/6 pool in the entire NHL after probably bottom 5 two to three years ago. I know Saturday could have gone much better but it should not be all doom and gloom right now. If the development of these kids goes well and they aren't rushed we can be very competitive again in 3 or 4 years.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I know thread is about this years draft but we now have a team that probably has a top 5/6 pool in the entire NHL after probably bottom 5 two to three years ago. I know Saturday could have gone much better but it should not be all doom and gloom right now. If the development of these kids goes well and they aren't rushed we can be very competitive again in 3 or 4 years.

top 5/6 might be optimistic cause i'm not sure we have the top end talent....but comparing our own list a year ago to today is ridiculous. we basically undid the damage of 4 years of trading away picks and prospects trying to go for it and put ourselves back on par going forward

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
After next year's draft we should be in a good spot. Another top 10 pick (hopefully top 5) and another 1st rounder or two that we pick up at the deadline and our future will look bright.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
No thanks to Grabner. He’s an AV system guy.

There’s zero to trade to Hayes or Mika now bc you think Lias or Chytil could be blocked. We have no idea if both stay at Center, or if they’re ready.

I have no interest in gutting the roster for the f*** of it bc we are declaring this to be some 5 year plan, and letting kids figure it out.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Grabner might have had a bad postseason, but we still have to bid against 31 teams for his services. If he blocked even a Lettieri I say it isn’t worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad