GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I have a simple answer to Larry’s trade dilemma: keep both. Why gut the center depth even more to the point where we have exactly one NHL center? Make Chytil earn a spot and shift Lias over to wing if he needs more ice time.

This team is still lacking the depth necessary to be competitive in our division. The defense is incredibly raw, and I’m not expecting them to get a hang of Quinn’s system until Thanksgiving- and by then, they might be out of it. So instead of gutting the team just to gut it, keep your two valuable centers and insulate your top two prospects as they grow through this season. I’ll be incredibly annoyed if we trade Hayes just to get a younger forward that we neglected to draft yesterday.

What’s Gorton’s end game here? Move one of these guys now to hope that Chytil, Lias, or Howden can replace them in the next year or two? This isn’t even me being against a rebuild; I’m against them doing something I see as potentially stupid and dangerous. They’d have to target a kid that’s crushed it in a D+1/2 year like Kyrou or Rob Thomas as a centerpiece to make it even worth it.

Reactions: silverfish

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
What’s Gorton’s end game here? Move one of these guys now to hope that Chytil, Lias, or Howden can replace them in the next year or two? This isn’t even me being against a rebuild; I’m against them doing something I see as potentially stupid and dangerous. They’d have to target a kid that’s crushed it in a D+1/2 year like Kyrou or Rob Thomas as a centerpiece to make it even worth it.
Which we all know they won't get anyone even close to that caliber of prospect if they do move him.

Even more of a reason to be against this move

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
All in all, pretty mixed on the draft....

Thought the 1st round went really well. Kravtsov is a great prospect to have and can be what the late Cherepanov could've been, just modernized. Miller has a tremendous ceiling and could be the next Byfuglien. Lundkvist is a steady and smart two-way, similar in ways of Pionk. Thought the asset management was well put together.

But then day 2 happened.... Now I'm 100% okay with taking a goalkeeper in the 2nd round, if NYR thought he was the BPA. IMO, however, I thought he wasn't by a long shot. There were plenty of good players still on the board, especially with the forwards available, that were significantly better prospects than Lindbom. Granted Lindbom had modest J20 numbers and his WJC U18 was incredible, but that is a very small sample size to the pro level. He is NYR's now and all we can do is hope he turns out into a capable starter in the NHL.

Ragnarsson is another smart and steady defender. Does all the little things that can be a pro in this league. What also helps is the fact that he is an incredibly fast skater. We'll see how he develops. But, f*** Chicago for taking Wise right before our pick!!

Joey Keane was one of the better overagers in the draft, can join the rush and pot in some goals from time to time. Gross is a physical leader on the ice, skates similar to Hajek. Pajuniemi is the prospect I know least about, but apparently won the Matti Hagman award for leading the Junior B league in points. Kjellberg had a good playoffs, in the 3 games that he did play, and is the son of NYR scout Patric. So there's that. Hughes is an interesting project pick. Northeastern commit in 19/20 season, put up nearly a GPG in high school.

I like some of the picks, but others were pretty disappointing. But with 10 picks in a draft heavy on defense, I'm glad they focused on that position. Hope that these guys pan out though!!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Maybe the Rangers should look at keeping Namestnikov. They will have so many Russian players as part of the organization in the next 12 months. Kravtsov. Shestyorkin and Rykov in May 2019. Namestnikov was in Tampa to help Kucherov and Vasilevsky. He is fluent in both Russian and English.

i'm definitely warming up to the idea. not only can he help all the russian kids that will be coming over...but also next year he could be a veteran winger to help chytil develop. maybe chytil between names and zuke to give him 2 veteran wingers to help him hopefully develop as a top 6 center. then eventually kravtsov replaced zuke on his wing

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I'm not sure which is more fun... arguing before the draft about who we should select or arguing after about who we actually did draft.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Draft grades are so ****ing dumb. Love how Andersson and Chytil are both working out great, but we have zero faith with these selections. I do agree that the goalie at 39 seems bad on paper, but give the kid a chance.

This isn't to attack Steve's opinions, I just hate draft grades in general both good or negatively reviewed.

I agree. Grades are just for fun. Fans like them. But the Rangers' draft sucked.

But I think Andersson is not a superior prospect to Mittelstadt. Mittlestadt is far more dynamic, creative, quicker, skilled etc. He's the pick I wanted when it came to No. 7.

Miller is stronger, the better athlete, plays a FAR better defensive game, and has only been a D-man for two seasons. If Miller can develop his offensive game as I think he can in the Wisconsin program, he can absolutely be better long-term, IMO.

Wilde's offense is already developed. Can say the same about Wilde's defense improving as well.

Trust Lou's judgement way more than Gorton or Clarke.

Wilde actually sounds like he's closer to probation (or worse) than he is a penalty box.

Respectfully, you have an agenda to drive, several major sites (Sportsnet CA) quote you to support their Wilde analysis.

Very happy to have Miller on board.

Oh please. Cut the nonsense. My agenda is I want the Rangers to win the Stanley Cup and draft impact players. I have nothing to do with Sportsnet. I can't stop them from quoting me.

The issue is trading up to overdraft Miller. It was an overpayment. If there is a gap in Miller's favor between he and Wilde in terms of on-ice skills, it's microscopic. Sandin is another story. He's superior to both.

Reactions: ponzu4u

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Thought the 1st round went really well. Kravtsov is a great prospect to have and can be what the late Cherepanov could've been, just modernized. Miller has a tremendous ceiling and could be the next Byfuglien. Lundkvist is a steady and smart two-way, similar in ways of Pionk. Thought the asset management was well put together.

But then day 2 happened.... Now I'm 100% okay with taking a goalkeeper in the 2nd round, if NYR thought he was the BPA. IMO, however, I thought he wasn't by a long shot. There were plenty of good players still on the board, especially with the forwards available, that were significantly better prospects than Lindbom. Granted Lindbom had modest J20 numbers and his WJC U18 was incredible, but that is a very small sample size to the pro level. He is NYR's now and all we can do is hope he turns out into a capable starter in the NHL.

Ragnarsson is another smart and steady defender. Does all the little things that can be a pro in this league. What also helps is the fact that he is an incredibly fast skater. We'll see how he develops. But, **** Chicago for taking Wise right before our pick!!

Joey Keane was one of the better overagers in the draft, can join the rush and pot in some goals from time to time. Gross is a physical leader on the ice, skates similar to Hajek. Pajuniemi is the prospect I know least about, but apparently won the Matti Hagman award for leading the Junior B league in points. Kjellberg had a good playoffs, in the 3 games that he did play, and is the son of NYR scout Patric. So there's that. Hughes is an interesting project pick. Northeastern commit in 19/20 season, put up nearly a GPG in high school.

I like some of the picks, but others were pretty disappointing. But with 10 picks in a draft heavy on defense, I'm glad they focused on that position. Hope that these guys pan out though!!

would love to know if the Rangers would have taken Wise at 70. Probably not but guess we will never know

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Or he's exercising his opinion to be critical of a team that makes off the wall choices

Just because people criticize them doesn't make them any more right or wrong than people who say the scouts know all and shouldn't be criticized

No you're right, but theres a difference between criticizing and whining.

The latter doesn't only apply to Steve if you've read through the thread, but for someone who is supposed to be a professional, it's incredibly off putting.

Not to mention that I think some of his analysis is total bunk, but again thats JMO.

Reactions: Richard Banger

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Ragnarsson is another smart and steady defender. Does all the little things that can be a pro in this league. What also helps is the fact that he is an incredibly fast skater. We'll see how he develops. But, **** Chicago for taking Wise right before our pick!!

What, no screaming and snarky hot takes? What the heck is this?

(Nicely done, Joey!)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm not sure which is more fun... arguing before the draft about who we should select or arguing after about who we actually did draft.
Actually many predicted this exact thing to happen. Grabbing Olof at #39 with Addison, Wilde and others on the board just added the collective fuel to the fire. I feel the other picks are split in half with likes/dislikes.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I agree. Grades are just for fun. Fans like them. But the Rangers' draft sucked.

But I think Andersson is not a superior prospect to Mittelstadt. Mittlestadt is far more dynamic, creative, quicker, skilled etc. He's the pick I wanted when it came to No. 7.
You can dislike the draft on paper, which is absolutely your right. But to declare that it "sucks" is far too definitive a day after the draft has been completed.

I like Mittelstadt more as well, but that does not mitigate the fact that Andersson is a very good prospect as well and certainly is living up to this selection. Chytil was an absolute steal, there is no doubting that fact as it currently stands.

Wilde's offense is already developed. Can say the same about Wilde's defense improving as well.

Oh absolutely, there is no doubt that Wilde's defense can develop as well. But Miller has only been playing the position for two seasons and certainly is the better athlete and skates quite phenomenally as well. I think it's the former combined with his natural gifts that make Miller have the greater upside in my mind. I also don't think Miller's offense is as raw as some make it out to be, but I digress there.

Moreover, you can trust Lou's judgment more, but that doesn't indicate the draft "sucked." I think it's only fair to wait a few seasons before we put any bows on a team's draft.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Oh please. Cut the nonsense. My agenda is I want the Rangers to win the Stanley Cup and draft impact players. I have nothing to do with Sportsnet. I can't stop them from quoting me.

The issue is trading up to overdraft Miller. It was an overpayment. If there is a gap in Miller's favor between he and Wilde in terms of on-ice skills, it's microscopic. Sandin is another story. He's superior to both.

Well you can, but you'd have a pretty tough case making it.

He's got a ton of the same faults that Bouchard has in terms of decision making except he has better tools and allegedly questionable character.

Defensively there is a pretty sizable gap between the two of them. My guess is that gap only becomes wider as they progress.

He's a great gamble for where he was taking but I find it pretty hilarious that you love this player while you hate Sean Day, they have a bunch of the same flaws.

Lou's been abysmal since the lockout season happened. Not to mention GMs aren't running the show at the draft, you know this.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the only thing i hate about the draft is the 2nd round...

i wanted wahlstrom and wouldn't have been made with dobson either (of course both isles) but really like kravtsov...

I like the miller pick but do have to question trading up to get him when we already have a bunch of LHD. miller could work out and still not have a spot in our lineup. so don't dislike miller but hope we don't regret trading that pick to move up

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Good not great is the point though. You need elite high end talents to win a championship in todays NHL.

40 goals and 85 point scorers.

That is what has held this franchise back from winning a Stanley Cup.

Yeah, that wasn't the point at all. Again, you missed the point. But I'm done discussing this.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That Kravtsov pick will be okay as long as he doesn't turn into another confused Buchnevich.

But passing on Wahlstrom was a mistake, that kid finds the net like few others.

Buchnevich isn't confused. And Wahlstrom is as much a gamble as Kravtsov. Can we stop acting as if Wahlstrom is some sure fire elite winger?

Reactions: Fvital92 and bl02

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
No you're right, but theres a difference between criticizing and whining.

The latter doesn't only apply to Steve if you've read through the thread, but for someone who is supposed to be a professional, it's incredibly off putting.

Not to mention that I think some of his analysis is total bunk, but again thats JMO.

I'm not a professional. But thanks for thinking that.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
completely random note on the draft...i'm not sure if the nhl sent an update to apple but somehow the autocorrect on my iphone knows how to spell all the players names lol

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Meh from 2005 on tell me how many great draft picks Lou had?! I count about 2 or 3 out of 70. Every single first rounder was a bad one unless you think the Larsson one was a worthy one at 4?
Not stellar. As of right this minute his 2018 draft is looking really good. His picks of Wahlstrom and Dobson aren't really ones a brain surgeon needed to make. If we took Wahlstrom he would have taken Dobson/Kravtsov. Still would have looked like a genius.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Clark is an idiot. Game's passed him by. So is Drury.

Miller was not good on the NTDP power play except as a shooter. Miller, Emberson, Mattias Samuelsson and Stastney all were better and more reliable.

Doubtful he sees a lot of PP time at Wisconsin.
Pretty bold to call him an idiot within a day after the draft. You could end up the idiot 5 years from now.

Reactions: ecemleafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad