GDT: Draft Day Bonanza - All rumors/speculation/draft talk here ( Poll Added!)

Who do we take with the 9th OV tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Well you can, but you'd have a pretty tough case making it.

He's got a ton of the same faults that Bouchard has in terms of decision making except he has better tools and allegedly questionable character.

Defensively there is a pretty sizable gap between the two of them. My guess is that gap only becomes wider as they progress.

He's a great gamble for where he was taking but I find it pretty hilarious that you love this player while you hate Sean Day, they have a bunch of the same flaws.

Lou's been abysmal since the lockout season happened. Not to mention GMs aren't running the show at the draft, you know this.
That entirely depends on your draft guru.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Another year, another NYR draft that leaves me with pretty mixed feelings and that will provide plenty of fodder for hot takes and controversy. They keep things interesting if nothing else.

If I am being honest the first feeling I had was disappointment. I grade R1 a B+/B overall. But rounds 2-7 were beyond head scratching. I am hesitant to assign a grade too hastily but feel confident in saying that choosing to invest #39 in a G and in LDs (AFTER loading up on them at the TDL AND with Miller to boot) is EXTREMELY unwise from a strategic standpoint. 10 picks, 4 LD, 1 G. Completely illogical to me.

Kravtsov is an exciting prospect and I can’t wait to watch him. But let’s be honest, this was a risky pick. The NYR are really banking on him being the player he was in the second half. Passing on Wahlstrom, Dobson, and potentially even Bouchard could be this rebuild’s version of doomsdays past.

Miller is another really intriguing pick. Excited to watch him develop. LD is not ideal, and #48 seemed very steep to me that late in R1. Lundkvist is probably the lone pick I would assign an A to. Smart, shifty RD that the org has lacked for years.

Lastly, seeing the Isles land Wahlstrom, Dobson, AND Wilde is heartbreaking. Ditto Farabee AND O’Brien to the Flyers. Also bummed that the Fox dream died (for now…). At the end of the day if Gordie whiffed in this draft it should mark the end of his career in NY. Questioning the NYR leadership right now but see the potential for upside especially in R1.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Like I said before, this is a defensive heavy draft so coming out with mostly defenders is a given for NYR.

Next year is the forward class!!
Exactly the strategy I was hoping for. I forgot which media personality said it on which podcast but before the draft they were comparing this draft to the 2008 draft in that there were a bunch of high potential defensemen to be had

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Meh from 2005 on tell me how many great draft picks Lou had?! I count about 2 or 3 out of 70. Every single first rounder was a bad one unless you think the Larsson one was a worthy one at 4?
Not stellar. As of right this minute his 2018 draft is looking really good. His picks of Wahlstrom and Dobson aren't really ones a brain surgeon needed to make. If we took Wahlstrom he would have taken Dobson/Kravtsov. Still would have looked like a genius.

I agree to an extent. Lou and Conte made some bad picks, but they also built multiple Cup finalists via the draft. Lou also had a role in rebuilding the Leafs, and he's started off building his third team from the ground up.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I agree to an extent. Lou and Conte made some bad picks, but they also built multiple Cup finalists via the draft. Lou also had a role in rebuilding the Leafs, and he's started off building his third team from the ground up.
I thought Lou had essentially nothing to do with the draft in Toronto? And I'd be willing to bet he had essentially nothing to do with this Islanders draft with him just being hired a month ago

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Another year, another NYR draft that leaves me with pretty mixed feelings and that will provide plenty of fodder for hot takes and controversy. They keep things interesting if nothing else.

If I am being honest the first feeling I had was disappointment. I grade R1 a B+/B overall. But rounds 2-7 were beyond head scratching. I am hesitant to assign a grade too hastily but feel confident in saying that choosing to invest #39 in a G and in LDs (AFTER loading up on them at the TDL AND with Miller to boot) is EXTREMELY unwise from a strategic standpoint. 10 picks, 4 LD, 1 G. Completely illogical to me.

Kravtsov is an exciting prospect and I can’t wait to watch him. But let’s be honest, this was a risky pick. The NYR are really banking on him being the player he was in the second half. Passing on Wahlstrom, Dobson, and potentially even Bouchard could be this rebuild’s version of doomsdays past.

Miller is another really intriguing pick. Excited to watch him develop. LD is not ideal, and #48 seemed very steep to me that late in R1. Lundkvist is probably the lone pick I would assign an A to. Smart, shifty RD that the org has lacked for years.

Lastly, seeing the Isles land Wahlstrom, Dobson, AND Wilde is heartbreaking. Ditto Farabee AND O’Brien to the Flyers. Also bummed that the Fox dream died (for now…). At the end of the day if Gordie whiffed in this draft it should mark the end of his career in NY. Questioning the NYR leadership right now but see the potential for upside especially in R1.
For someone who dislikes the draft, this is a very fair take to maintain.

One note on Kravstov, the reason why his production was so great in the playoffs was in part due to increased ice-time and a larger role on the team. I think through the regular season he only averaged around 9 minutes of ice-time.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
For someone who dislikes the draft, this is a very fair take to maintain.

One note on Kravstov, the reason why his production was so great in the playoffs was in part due to increased ice-time and a larger role on the team. I think through the regular season he only averaged around 9 minutes of ice-time.
This is their best pick in years!

Reactions: bl02

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

Pretty much. I'm a little higher than you on round 1, more in the B+/A- range. I will say I think everyone feels better about this draft if all those players we passed on went to the St. Louis Blues instead of the Islanders. Not to mention that pick of Olaf killed a lot of good feelings after night 1.

I liked what they did Day 1 but Day 2 was baffling on many levels. Given the depth of the draft which was talked about for months, to trade 1 pick and use the other on a goaltender who you may have gotten anywhere from 30 - 60 picks later is rough.

We'll see how it plays out I guess. My biggest feeling after this weekend isn't really excitement (I am excited for the players we picked in round 1 to clarify) or anger or anything like that about the team. It's kind of just an underwhelming meh kind of feeling. I think everyone here got attached to certain names and to see them drop and passed on kind of stings and we all waited for months to see some of the names we've discussed be moved and nothing happened. There's still time obviously but meh pretty much sums up this weekend from my point of view.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

This is fair.

I disagree with the LD argument. Handedness is nice but guys can be shifted around. If more of them pan out than what we're expecting they'll make good trade chips.

In general, I think the mood in here would be much better had they not drafted a goalie in rd 2.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lets see if he retains Tavares. I just can't give him this much credit this early on after two top 10 maybe top 5 prospects fell in his lap! Lets also see what he does with the goalie situation.
Of course he had a huge role in building those cup teams no doubt but I was just referencing his decisions in the last decade during the draft with NJ. Not good at all.
Few years with Toronto pretty good (i like the Marner pick) but just weird how 10 years or so of drafting with Jersey was terrible then few years with Toronto were pretty good. Can't give him credit for tanking for Matthews :D

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I thought Lou had essentially nothing to do with the draft in Toronto? And I'd be willing to bet he had essentially nothing to do with this Islanders draft with him just being hired a month ago
I tend to agree. Seems very Snow-like sticking to the consensus. We'll see how close Lou sticks to it next year.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I tend to agree. Seems very Snow-like sticking to the consensus. We'll see how close Lou sticks to it next year.
Yeah, I mean, there's a reason Toronto made sure Mark Hunter isn't allowed to get another NHL job until after the draft/free agency and Lou was allowed to just go and talk to Tavares on behalf of the Islanders while still technically working for the Leafs

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This is fair.

I disagree with the LD argument. Handedness is nice but guys can be shifted around. If more of them pan out than what we're expecting they'll make good trade chips.

In general, I think the mood in here would be much better had they not drafted a goalie in rd 2.

If they grabbed Wise or Olofsson at that spot, I’m giving them an A.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

The potential is definitely there. Though I do think we’re downplaying the risk and maybe overestimating the odds.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is their best pick in years!
Hope you're right. Think you could be. Still think at 21 Chytil's value is really tremendous. Still marvel at some of the highlights from this past AHL season at barely 18 years old. Kid is gonna be 6'4" 220 easy with tree trunks.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

This is pretty much how I feel. People always think I hate the players picked. I don't. It's where they were picked, or the strategy behind picking them.

I've written glowingly about Miller for 12 months. He has legit potential to either anchor a middle pairing or support a top pairing. But the truth is they put too much value into a kid that does not have franchise-changing potential. The smart move would have been to let Minnesota draft Miller, let Ottawa take JBD, and Rangers taken a combination of Sandin/Alexeyev/Samuelsson/Lundkvist/Berggren/Veleno/Ylonen at 26 and 28, take Wilde at 39 and Tychonick at 48.

To me

Sandin+Berggren+Wilde+Tychonick destroys Miller+Lundkvist+Lindbom 100000/100000

or even Samuelsson+Lundkvist+McLeod+Hallander

Why are people not seeing this? Miller was not a unique prospect in this draft. There were so many like him.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I keep seeing this repeated, but the evidence doesn't seem to support this. In fact, Defenseman reach their peaks slightly before forwards do according to the data available.

A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)
A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 2)
I wasn't clear but I'm think more of breaking into the league. I could be wrong, and thanks for actually providing some evidence, but it seems like it's much easier to break in at forward as an 18-20 year old than a defender.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Hope you're right. Think you could be. Still think at 21 Chytil's value is really tremendous. Still marvel at some of the highlights from this past AHL season at barely 18 years old. Kid is gonna be 6'4" 220 easy with tree trunks.
Agreed. Anderson is the one I’m a little more skeptical about. He will play but at what level is hard to determine yet.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Lets see if he retains Tavares. I just can't give him this much credit this early on after two top 10 maybe top 5 prospects fell in his lap! Lets also see what he does with the goalie situation.
Of course he had a huge role in building those cup teams no doubt but I was just referencing his decisions in the last decade during the draft with NJ. Not good at all.
Few years with Toronto pretty good (i like the Marner pick) but just weird how 10 years or so of drafting with Jersey was terrible then few years with Toronto were pretty good. Can't give him credit for tanking for Matthews :D
Wonder if gordie would take Mathews or go off the board?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Agreed. Anderson is the one I’m a little more skeptical about. He will play but at what level is hard to determine yet.
Many still have him as a top 25/30 prospect but agreed. I know its Cliche but he was the safe pick at the time and still seems that way right now. Chytil and Kravtsov have much much higher ceiling. Hope Lias proves us wrong.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I don't understand comparing us to the Islanders. They had picks 11 and 12, of course they were going to get 2 really good prospects there. People think Wilde is a good pick just because where projections had him, but plenty of teams passed on him and he slid, I'd say it is more likely than not there is some merit as to why his draft stock fell down quite a bit. At the end of the day I shouldn't be surprised as how many people want to spend time talking about what we didn't get rather than what we did get.

There are plenty out there who think we had a pretty good draft.

Corey Pronman had our draft ranked as 8th best, tied with 5 other teams. He gave us a B, with the average grade being a B-. The 7 teams in front of us were the Sabres, Canes, Habs, Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks, Islanders. 6 teams that picked in front of us and then one team that had 2 picks in the Top 12. Pronman said he rates it on quality of players taken overall, and not on where the players were drafted.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm no trying be all kittens, cotton candy, and sunshine, but maybe, just maybe this turns into that draft that is a pleasant surprise. There have been drafts in this franchise's history that we were all really excited about but turned out either to be duds or just okay (1992 with the Ferraro twins rings a bell, at least they got Norstrom, 1999 was awful, 2004 was just ok, etc.) I remember in 2007 the NY Giants had a very controversial draft and everyone was very unhappy. They did quite okay that season even if it wasn't always easy. Even in 2010, from rounds 2-7, we were all pretty happy especially with the Thomas pick ,and does he even still play in NA?

@JT Kreider you have valid points and it's interesting you bring up Korpikoski. Personally, I don't think their are any similarities to him and Chytil size wise, style wise, even personality wise. That was also a Maloney pick and part of the reason he is no longer the AZ GM, he was never good at evaluating talent. I'm not saying LK is a horrible human being in any way, but he along with Matt Cullen are two guys I can't stand. They just never wanted to be here. Something about Korpi always felt very distant, he was never part of the core, and just didn't seem like he enjoyed being here and fit in. I messed up the numbers and years in a previous post, but the fact was he did use the KHL after the 2009 season to force his way off the team. He wasn't happy and ran his mouth to the Russian press. That was reported here actually.

Something else I noticed was how much Nickolai Bobrov was in videos on the team website this draft. Does that mean he has more of a say, or that Clark is eventually getting ready to retire and he will be taking over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad