Low Effort GDT Draft day 2 - 11:30AM - SN PART 3

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Certainly at the top-end, with 5 OHLers going in the top-10. But hard to say that Ottawa avoided the league when we had to take Stutzle, and preferred Sanderson.

Interestingly, after the top 10, it's not so clear:

USHL: 36/207 players
Sweden: 30/207 players
WHL: 28/207 players
OHL: 26/207 players
QMJHL: 18/207 players
Russia: 18/207 players

For whatever reason, we seem to skew American (USHL, NCAA, HS) and WHL.
The sens recent history drafting from the WHL outside of Stone has been horrible. At 5 the amount of elite players from the OHL that they passed on for Sanderson could come to haunt them. I sure hope they are confident in that pick. Unbelievably bold to come out and say Sanderson is the best d man in the draft considering who was picked directly behind him. Bulletin board material and extra pressure on Sanderson. Made no sense to me personally but Pierre gonna Pierre. The guys a moron when the mic is put in his face.

Man, really wanted Peterka, have no idea why we never nabbed him. Looks like a Clarke McArthur type player. Maybe Sens thought Jarventie was gonna be gone by next pick.
Grans and Peterka certainly were gonna be gone soon. Jarventie had a much much better chance of sliding. But if you like your guy you should take him. Knowing how they always cator to taking certain players friends i found it strange. They wasted the 6th rounder this year on Greigs friend. A player they easily could have invited to camp. They made the center piece of the Karlsson deal on Tkachuks friend. Its an inconsistent and weird trend in this organization.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The sens recent history drafting from the WHL outside of Stone has been horrible. At 5 the amount of elite players from the OHL that they passed on for Sanderson could come to haunt them. I sure hope they are confident in that pick. Unbelievably bold to come out and say Sanderson is the best d man in the draft considering who was picked directly behind him. Bulletin board material and extra pressure on Sanderson. Made no sense to me personally but Pierre gonna Pierre. The guys a moron when the mic is put in his face.

I don't get this comment. They took Sanderson before Drsydale, so of course they think Sanderson is the best defenceman in the draft. Don't see anything wrong with saying that in the media when it's obvious what they think.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Grans and Peterka certainly were gonna be gone soon. Jarventie had a much much better chance of sliding. But if you like your guy you should take him. Knowing how they always cator to taking certain players friends i found it strange. They wasted the 6th rounder this year on Greigs friend. A player they easily could have invited to camp. They made the center piece of the Karlsson deal on Tkachuks friend. Its an inconsistent and weird trend in this organization.
I don't think they would come out and say that Sandersen was the second best defenceman in the draft right after drafting him

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think we can catch lightning in a bottle esp if we have a compressed or shortened year

we going to have a lot of young legs on the roster

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
We cant really applaud them for selecting Stutzle, it was pretty much a no-brainer.

Yeah I'm definitely not. A monkey could have made that pick lol

And truthfully in round 1 your GM and top scout make those decisions anyways. Its rounds 2 and beyond where the GM relies on area scouts more

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Our European scouting staff either needs less pull, or a big upgrade. Outside of Stutzle I'm not impressed at all with our Euro picks
I like Jarventie. I think that was a solid pick even if I'd have gone with someone else. Not happy about where we drafted Marilainin, but the other guy is a 5th rounder that went pretty close to where he was expected to so i don't see that as evidence of too much pull.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
At 5 the amount of elite players from the OHL that they passed on for Sanderson could come to haunt them. I sure hope they are confident in that pick. Unbelievably bold to come out and say Sanderson is the best d man in the draft considering who was picked directly behind him. Bulletin board material and extra pressure on Sanderson
Of course they are confident in their pick and think he is the best guy That's why they picked him!!!! So if they said "we think Sanderson is an OK player and we hope he makes the team someday" that they'll be less pressure on the player???
You are really "grasping at straws" here.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Man, really wanted Peterka, have no idea why we never nabbed him. Looks like a Clarke McArthur type player. Maybe Sens thought Jarventie was gonna be gone by next pick.

Especially since we got Stutzle too. A previous poster mentioned senators targeting players that are connected / friends. So why not in this case for our franchise player? It actually even made sense from a skill/playstyle/ potential perspective.

Maybe they are targeting player who are friends so that it's easier/cheaper/more likely to re-sign? Which honestly isn't a bad strategy if that's the reality.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Letting go of Duclair may partly explain the over-the-top emphasis on drafting left wingers. One can only assume that the money saved by not signing Duclair, will be applied toward acquiring a much-needed centre in the FA market. Craig Smith, a C/RW out of Nashville, could be candidate as a 20-something goal scorer. He had a $4.25M cap hit last year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Letting go of Duclair may partly explain the over-the-top emphasis on drafting left wingers. One can only assume that the money saved by not signing Duclair, will be applied toward acquiring a much-needed centre in the FA market. Craig Smith, a C/RW out of Nashville, could be candidate as a 20-something goal scorer. He had a $4.25M cap hit last year.
Duclair played on the right for most of his time here I believe.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Point dropped to the 3rd because he was a damn midget not because he didn't have high end offensive potential. People didn't think he could translate to the NHL, Rossi has 27 pounds on point when he was drafted...
Point grew less than an inch from his draft heart to now and put on less than 10 pounds. His size plus skating made him drop.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Of course they are confident in their pick and think he is the best guy That's why they picked him!!!! So if they said "we think Sanderson is an OK player and we hope he makes the team someday" that they'll be less pressure on the player???
You are really "grasping at straws" here.
Whatever you say.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
This from Michael Clifford at Dobber this morning. Sorry if it's been discussed already:
  • I can't help but feel that Ottawa pulled a 2015 Bruins here. I don't have a real problem with the Tim Stützle but it does seem he'll be a winger and easily the best of their draft picks (like Jake DeBruskbut better). And then there are two guys picked later over others that have more upside, effectively trading upside for security and getting neither. And the Sens absolutely cannot afford to punt this draft. The next 10 years of this franchise hinges on the 2020 NHL Draft. I really do hope the Sens end up with three good NHLers because the fanbase doesn't deserve more misery beyond whatever Melnyk inflicts. I just don't like their picks, in totality, at all. Please prove me wrong, if only for the sanity of some of my friends.

Reactions: branch

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This from Michael Clifford at Dobber this morning. Sorry if it's been discussed already:
  • I can't help but feel that Ottawa pulled a 2015 Bruins here. I don't have a real problem with the Tim Stützle but it does seem he'll be a winger and easily the best of their draft picks (like Jake DeBruskbut better). And then there are two guys picked later over others that have more upside, effectively trading upside for security and getting neither. And the Sens absolutely cannot afford to punt this draft. The next 10 years of this franchise hinges on the 2020 NHL Draft. I really do hope the Sens end up with three good NHLers because the fanbase doesn't deserve more misery beyond whatever Melnyk inflicts. I just don't like their picks, in totality, at all. Please prove me wrong, if only for the sanity of some of my friends.

This is crazy to be honest and really makes no sense.

The Bruins totally messed up the draft not because they went with a safe pick but because they went with guys slotted in the 2nd round or very late first instead of grabbing guys that were in the top 10. To make this type of criticism you sincerely need to have absolutely no knowledge of the prospects that Ottawa drafted and the situation that Boston was in back in 2015.

Both Barzal and Connor were arguably top 10 picks, Barzal was 100% while Connor was a guy most people thought would go around 12 at the latest. Both of them made it to Boston picks and it was just absolutely nuts to grab Senyshyn and Debrusk. Senyshyn was a 2nd rounder and Debrusk as late first. The weird thing about this is that there is a clear gap in talent and projectability between Barzal/Connor and Senyshyn/Debrusk, the latter were not even safe picks at all. They were just not as good.

Now Sanderson is about 20 times the player that Senyshyn and Debrusk are and not only that he was a consensus top 10 pick by pretty much anyone. Look at Mackenzies list in 2015 and tell me where the Boston picks were projected to go and look at this year and tell me where Sanderson was.

Also how is this guy even comparing Stutzle to Debrusk, one looks like a star in the making and the other was a late first. This guy has no clue. Zboril was the only decent pick they made but he's been riddled with injuries.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad