Low Effort GDT Draft day 2 - 11:30AM - SN PART 3

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think it's a legitimate take.

Basically we picked guys above their consensus draft ranking to some extent and we emphasized all-around play over offensive skill for the latter two.

I don't see what is so controversial about that. It's not even that unexpected.

The easiest (and most frequent) evaluations of drafts involve the teams picking up the droppers as "winners" and the teams reaching for the "risers" as losers, as compared with some combination of overall draft rankings.

Time will prove either him or us wrong.

I'll admit the Jake DeBrusk comment is a bit of a head-scratcher. I am curious who he would have picked at #3.
Stutzle was ranked 2nd by McKenzie (+1)
Sanderson was ranked 8th by McKenzie (-3)
Greig was ranked 24th by McKenzie (+4)

We never reached on anyone, unless Sanderson is considered a reach, which I know some do even if I disagree to an enormous extent

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Hence my comments about the "all-around play" and "to some extent".

You don't think there can be any lingering concern that we passed on some offensive potential in order to get the kind of character/two-way/physical guys that we ended up with?

I would be amazed if every pundit and scout thought that our draft was a good one.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

We never reached on anyone, unless Sanderson is considered a reach, which I know some do even if I disagree to an enormous extent
All the reaching was done in the later rds with guys most never heard of.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Hence my comments about the "all-around play" and "to some extent".

You don't think there can be any lingering concern that we passed on some offensive potential in order to get the kind of character/two-way/physical guys that we ended up with?

I would be amazed if every pundit and scout thought that our draft was a good one.
There is always going to be concern. We overrate the offensive side of the game and underrate the defensive.

People see "good defensive, 2 way, size," and will assume we passed on skill to get it.

I have no doubts our draft would be seen better by most on HFboards if we picked Rossi, Holtz or Raymond. I think that would be proven wrong by the time all are in the league. Sanderson got the worst rep in the draft by bad takes throughout the whole season. I mean, some are comparing him to Luke Schenn and Gudbranson, that tells me there wasn't much actual watching going on and is just reaction based on key words.

I mean some services have Stutzle at 7th, 8th and 10th. Not every ranking is worth the time, and there are always going to be people who disagree with things, regardless of what they are.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There is always going to be concern. We overrate the offensive side of the game and underrate the defensive.

People see "good defensive, 2 way, size," and will assume we passed on skill to get it.

I'm starting to come around.

Partly because I just don't think we can build a superstar-oriented team and be competitive in a sustainable way. Stutzle (if he pans out) and Chabot might have to be it for us.

I have no doubts our draft would be seen better by most on HFboards if we picked Rossi, Holtz or Raymond. I think that would be proven wrong by the time all are in the league. Sanderson got the worst rep in the draft by bad takes throughout the whole season. I mean, some are comparing him to Luke Schenn and Gudbranson, that tells me there wasn't much actual watching going on and is just reaction based on key words.

I agree with this.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Add to that, Kleven was 36th (+8)
Jarventie was 52 (-19)

I guess you could call Jarventie a reach, but by the 2nd round, you're getting a bit more variance in the rankings

Reactions: Cosmix and NyQuil

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
They are two of about 6-7 guys at the top of the draft, those are two of them. They will go somewhere in the top 10, no way of knowing where in the top 10 we will pick because of the shortened season and lottery.

Curious who you have in mind for those 6 or 7 at the top? Räty, Hughes, Lambos, Clarke, Kent Johnson, Simon Edvinsson, Owen Powers?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Curious who you have in mind for those 6 or 7 at the top? Räty, Hughes, Lambos, Clarke, Kent Johnson, Simon Edvinsson, Owen Powers?
Power
Lambos
Johnson
Guenther
Clarke
Sillenger

Cuelemans/L'Heureux/Roy/Lucius/Nause/McTavish/Edvinsson (know nothing about other than stats and measurements) Guys I see pushing and being viewed in that grouping. Don't think Raty is going to be seen as a top end guy by the time the draft rolls around

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Power
Lambos
Johnson
Guenther
Clarke
Sillenger

Cuelemans/L'Heureux/Roy/Lucius/Nause/McTavish/Edvinsson (know nothing about other than stats and measurements) Guys I see pushing and being viewed in that grouping. Don't think Raty is going to be seen as a top end guy by the time the draft rolls around

Interesting. I haven't watched Räty much, but Button and some others seem to think he's a contender for first overall. I agree with you to the extent that I don't think he's first overall material. Lambos, Clarke and Hughes have been the best from what I've seen so far.

I've also liked what I've seen from Lazutin, Svechkov and Beniers.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would like to see Ottawa target Dylan Guenther RW for the 2021 draft with their 1st rd pick given Ottawa is extremely thin at RW. I'd also like to see them add another late 1st rd pick maybe when they move Tierny to draft Roman Schmidt RD. Or trade up to get him.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It's killing me that a rookie development camp seems to be a tall order right now.

What a superb group of prospects we've established.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I mean some services have Stutzle at 7th, 8th and 10th. Not every ranking is worth the time, and there are always going to be people who disagree with things, regardless of what they are.

I think a lot of people scout off highlights as well. Sanderson has like one highlight reel on youtube lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00