Blue Jays Discussion: Draft Day 1: Jays pick P Jeff Hoffman, C Max Pentecost, P Sean Reid-Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
What a great draft for the Jays so far. Really rounds out the top 10 prospects and replenishes what we gave up in the Dickey trade.

The more I read about Pentecost the more I like. A catcher with the abilty to wreak havoc on the basepaths is just mental. All the scouts saying he's likely to stick at catcher makes it even better.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What a great draft for the Jays so far. Really rounds out the top 10 prospects and replenishes what we gave up in the Dickey trade.

The more I read about Pentecost the more I like. A catcher with the abilty to wreak havoc on the basepaths is just mental. All the scouts saying he's likely to stick at catcher makes it even better.

Contending team + top 5-7 farm system= a lot of :yo:

The key signing will be Reid-Foley. Hoffman and Pentecost seem to be pretty easy signings at this point, if we can get Reid-Foley signed then this draft will be an A+ no matter how the rest of the draft goes.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Contending team + top 5-7 farm system= a lot of :yo:

The key signing will be Reid-Foley. Hoffman and Pentecost seem to be pretty easy signings at this point, if we can get Reid-Foley signed then this draft will be an A+ no matter how the rest of the draft goes.

I know most of us were on the Touki train, but looking back I like the R-F selection a little better.

It kind of goes against the jays philosophy some of us were complaining about.

Instead of ending up with a super toolsy, raw prep arm we got a guy with 4 polished pitches and nearly an equally high ceiling.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Really liking the sound of that Pentecost pick. Makes swallowing the pill that was the Dickey trade a bit easier.

Can't remember the last time i seen a catcher that's actually threatening on the bases.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Really liking the sound of that Pentecost pick. Makes swallowing the pill that was the Dickey trade a bit easier.

Can't remember the last time i seen a catcher that's actually threatening on the bases.

The comp thrown out there was Russell Martin, who was a 20 base stealer early in his career

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So what do people think for the next pick?

Agreed!

The comp thrown out there was Russell Martin, who was a 20 base stealer early in his career

Pretty awesome if he can turn out like this

(also someone want to start a new thread before round 3 starts today?)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
4C1yXah.jpg

Someone put it all together.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Cobi Johnson is still on the board right? His father is a roving pitching instructor in the Jays organization and the kid knows how to pitch. Low 90s FB, huge breaking CB that grades out as a plus pitch, average change up, solid command, 6'4 170 frame.

Maybe get AJ Vanegas as an easy sign, can bring him up quickly as a reliever.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So what do people think for the next pick?

Agreed!

Pretty awesome if he can turn out like this

(also someone want to start a new thread before round 3 starts today?)

I have a few guys I wouldn't mind taking, but again it all depends on the price tag..because I don't care who we draft today getting all three of our first day picks signed is mandatory. But in saying that (Chris Oliver, Milton Ramos,) Ramos will be interesting because he could end up being a better player than Trea Turner. I'm so glad we didn't take Turner, there are short stops with at least if not more potential than Turner has. Ramos is being compared to Alcides Escobar. He's the best defensive shortstop in the draft and has plus speed.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I have a few guys I wouldn't mind taking, but again it all depends on the price tag..because I don't care who we draft today getting all three of our first day picks signed is mandatory. But in saying that (Chris Oliver, Milton Ramos,) Ramos will be interesting because he could end up being a better player than Trea Turner. I'm so glad we didn't take Turner, there are short stops with at least if not more potential than Turner has. Ramos is being compared to Alcides Escobar. He's the best defensive shortstop in the draft and has plus speed.

Just searched out Ramos after you mentioned him.. Scouting report sounds like a guy out staff would be all over. Seems like he could be a little like Hechavarria.

We don't really have a true SS in our program who is + defensively. Guys like that just need to be able to hit for a little bit of average to provide value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad