Blue Jays Discussion: Draft Day 1: Jays pick P Jeff Hoffman, C Max Pentecost, P Sean Reid-Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
I came accros this article, its about each team best 1st round draft pick in the last 10 years !! Quite depressing for the Jays

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/16565203?widget=true

Toronto Blue Jays: Ricky Romero (sixth overall, 2005). Remember when Romero was one of the best young pitchers in baseball? He finished tenth in the 2011 AL Cy Young voting and was an All-Star at 26. Then, he fell off a cliff. Since then, he’s made just 36 appearances in the majors over two years, pitching 188 1/3 innings with a 5.97 ERA, 129 strikeouts, and 113 walks. This year, he’s been stuck in AAA all season, and has a 6.07 ERA in seven starts with more walks than strikeouts. Perhaps the worst part is that Romero earned a contract extension from the Jays, and is owed something like $13 million through next season. The downside of an extension, folks. The sad part is that he’s *still* Toronto’s best first rounder, as of right now.

Honorable mentions: Brett Cecil, J.P. Arencibia

Ouch indeed !!!!

Last edited:

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Adam Lind

.384/.464/.644/1.108, 205 wRC+ against RHP. Doesnt include his 2 doubles today.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I came accros this article, its about each team best 1st round drfat pick in the last 10 years !! Quite depressing for the Jays

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/16565203?widget=true

Toronto Blue Jays: Ricky Romero (sixth overall, 2005). Remember when Romero was one of the best young pitchers in baseball? He finished tenth in the 2011 AL Cy Young voting and was an All-Star at 26. Then, he fell off a cliff. Since then, he’s made just 36 appearances in the majors over two years, pitching 188 1/3 innings with a 5.97 ERA, 129 strikeouts, and 113 walks. This year, he’s been stuck in AAA all season, and has a 6.07 ERA in seven starts with more walks than strikeouts. Perhaps the worst part is that Romero earned a contract extension from the Jays, and is owed something like $13 million through next season. The downside of an extension, folks. The sad part is that he’s *still* Toronto’s best first rounder, as of right now.

Honorable mentions: Brett Cecil, J.P. Arencibia

Ouch indeed !!!!

How can a guy fall off a cliff like that? How can you forget how to pitch all of a sudden?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
“The competitor in me makes it hard for me to see, maybe, a bunch of guys get picked ahead of me — guys that I know aren’t better than me, some guys out of high school that don’t really understand the game of baseball yet,” says Hoffman. Nonetheless, he remains confident in his ability, and he hasn’t changed his goal of helping a big-league team within two years. “Everything happens for a reason, and whatever team takes the so-called risk and drafts me is going to get the best player in the draft.”

I like the sounds of that hoff, welcome aboard

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
How can a guy fall off a cliff like that? How can you forget how to pitch all of a sudden?

The scary thing is that the development staff has no idea. Delivery is the same, velocity is the same. He's in good health. He just lost the feel.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
He's not in good health. He's had several knee injuries and even tried a hand at stem-cell treatment this past offseason.

I thought he had some injections in 2012 and maybe scope. Didn't realize it was a continuing thing.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah but his velocity and everything is the same. Could the knee actually throw him off THAT much? I'm not a physician so i can't really say anything other than based off assumptions.

I assumed it was more of a psychological funk.

At least Stroman looked really good today. Hoping they hold on to him and send Hendriks either back to the pen or down.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah but his velocity and everything is the same. Could the knee actually throw him off THAT much? I'm not a physician so i can't really say anything other than based off assumptions.

I assumed it was more of a psychological funk.

At least Stroman looked really good today. Hoping they hold on to him and send Hendriks either back to the pen or down.

Knee extension can greatly alter your release point even if the mechanics stayed the same. Truth be told, he never had the greatest command in the minors and even in the majors. What helped him out was his ability to get groundballs. Now that his sinker is not sinking, he's not confident in throwing anything in the zone. Confidence is certainly one of the bigger issues with him but I fully believe his recurring knee injuries have just forced him into a nasty situation. Fatigue is another aspect considering he never really had that "bulldog", "horse" trait until he reached the majors.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I like the sounds of that hoff, welcome aboard

Reading that makes me wish the Jays draft Hoffman even more. The Blue Jays could "punt" every other pick they have for all I care if they could draft and sign both Toussaint and Hoffman. Those two alongside Stroman, Sanchez, Norris could potentially net us our next full rotation. And it would be cheap talent too, Rogers could then spend a huge amount of money on other areas of the team. But obviously I'm getting way ahead here. I just think drafting those 2 next week would be perfect. Everyone is worried about how much pitching we gave up in all those moves two years ago, the system would get a huge replenishment of pitching. I think if Hoffman is available by the time #9 rolls around, the Jays go with Toussaint at #9 and then Hoffman at #11, if Hoffman is taken before #9 then they can go with (SS) Turner, and then @11 Toussaint.

I have a really hard time believing that the Jays are going to take a SS over Toussaint and take Hoffman at #11 when Toussaint has been connected with they Jays this much from all mock drafts. There is no way Hoffman gets past the Jays so unless Toussaint is taken before #9 I think the Jays will take Toussaint (apparently they already have a deal done with him from some reports), and if Hoffman is available at #11 there is no way they let him pass by. In one mock draft they said #11 is Hoffman's floor.

A little side info on Hoffman, he's 6 ft 4 and around 180 pounds, tall and lanky kid, had a 6.7k/9ip and 3.2/9ip striking out 33 batters in 24.1 innings pitched last year in the Cape Cod league. His fastball is around 93-96 mph and can reach up to 98. He has a plus curve and a plus change-up. So he already has 3 plus pitches. His comparables are Wainwright and Verlander. His potential is ranked around a #2 in a major league rotation.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Deck: 7 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO

Would be great if Deck turned into the back-of-the-rotation guy he was projected to be.

Very encouraging start from Stroman today. This is nit-picking, but his fastball was up in the zone a little too much for my liking. Slider was nuts, he located his FB on the outside corner quite well, and no walks is huge. Looking forward to his next start.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Reading that makes me wish the Jays draft Hoffman even more. The Blue Jays could "punt" every other pick they have for all I care if they could draft and sign both Toussaint and Hoffman. Those two alongside Stroman, Sanchez, Norris could potentially net us our next full rotation. And it would be cheap talent too, Rogers could then spend a huge amount of money on other areas of the team. But obviously I'm getting way ahead here. I just think drafting those 2 next week would be perfect. Everyone is worried about how much pitching we gave up in all those moves two years ago, the system would get a huge replenishment of pitching. I think if Hoffman is available by the time #9 rolls around, the Jays go with Toussaint at #9 and then Hoffman at #11, if Hoffman is taken before #9 then they can go with (SS) Turner, and then @11 Toussaint.

I have a really hard time believing that the Jays are going to take a SS over Toussaint and take Hoffman at #11 when Toussaint has been connected with they Jays this much from all mock drafts. There is no way Hoffman gets past the Jays so unless Toussaint is taken before #9 I think the Jays will take Toussaint (apparently they already have a deal done with him from some reports), and if Hoffman is available at #11 there is no way they let him pass by. In one mock draft they said #11 is Hoffman's floor.

A little side info on Hoffman, he's 6 ft 4 and around 180 pounds, tall and lanky kid, had a 6.7k/9ip and 3.2/9ip striking out 33 batters in 24.1 innings pitched last year in the Cape Cod league. His fastball is around 93-96 mph and can reach up to 98. He has a plus curve and a plus change-up. So he already has 3 plus pitches. His comparables are Wainwright and Verlander. His potential is ranked around a #2 in a major league rotation.

The most recent mock draft had Hoffman going at the 7th pick. If he's available I see no way he gets past the jays. I think it's Hoffman and toussaint and if Hoffman is off the board maybe someone like turner. Even then I don't see the jays taking turner

Dingers

Dec 18, 2011

6.rima-fakih_display_image.jpg

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The most recent mock draft had Hoffman going at the 7th pick. If he's available I see no way he gets past the jays. I think it's Hoffman and toussaint and if Hoffman is off the board maybe someone like turner. Even then I don't see the jays taking turner

I agree, the #11 pick will be decided by the time they're ready to pick at #9. Toussaint seems like a given at #9. If Hoffman is available they go with him, if he's taken before #9 then they go with a guy like Turner. I really hate the Turner pick, he has no comparable apparently because he does things so differently. His batting mechanics need work, scouts are a bit worried about his bat, he has a ton of speed and range so he could stay at SS in the long run but his bat will be the key to his future. I really don't like such a risk so high in the first round. Maybe it's a bluff from AA and co. to get teams off their trail. Because if they take Turner at #9 or #11 it'll be off the the board for them. They're usually pretty straight forward with their high school pitchers in the first round. AA is notorious for taking high school right handers in the draft, especially in the first round.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Watching Tanaka pitch really makes me wish the Jays were more serious on bringing him in. I think it's safe to say Dice-K busting isn't the norm for these Japanese imports.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Watching Tanaka pitch really makes me wish the Jays were more serious on bringing him in. I think it's safe to say Dice-K busting isn't the norm for these Japanese imports.

Not sure where I read it but the Jays are focusing their international scouting in Venezula this year. The Jays have never really had a big influence in Japan now that I think of it.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
its terrible the lack of respect the jays get in the states. no mention of them at all during the pregame of the rays and redsox. yet they showed highlights of tanaka and the yankee game.
be nice to see the jays continue to win and pummel everyone in the al east. and piss everyone off

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
its terrible the lack of respect the jays get in the states. no mention of them at all during the pregame of the rays and redsox. yet they showed highlights of tanaka and the yankee game.
be nice to see the jays continue to win and pummel everyone in the al east. and piss everyone off

It's the same for the Raptors. Even when the Raptors were on their huge roll they got no play or recognition on ESPN or anywhere States side. We don't register on the map when it comes to U.S viewership so to them they see no reason to mention Toronto. That will all change if we make the playoffs. Or at least stay in the hunt in September then they have to mention us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad