Blue Jays Discussion: Draft Day 1: Jays pick P Jeff Hoffman, C Max Pentecost, P Sean Reid-Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wish I were more of a prospect junkie, but these picks sound quite promising.

When can draftees start being signed and when is the deadline?

They can start signing right away though they typically don't hold any talks until after the teams finish their drafts (unless they had a pre-draft deal). Deadline is July 18th.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Already one player has signed with Indians 31st pick have agreed to terms. I'd expect Hoffman and Pentecost to sign pretty quickly.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
I believe Boyd was projected to be a decent 4/5 starter with decent stuff and a 4 pitch mix that he could command. Wasn't a nothing pick. I don't remember what was said about Graveman at the draft though.

And I didn't know a lot about him until later in the summer. I always assumed all of those guys would be punted picks on college seniors that would sign for peanuts

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
With the 11th Overall Pick, the Blue Jays select Catcher Max Pentecost

MaxPentecost2_medium.png

Oberyn Martell???

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I read a bit about Hoffman and heard he needs TJ surgery but also has been compared to Verlander. Seems like a high risk/extremely high reward type of pick. I like it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think we should a get new thread started ahead of today's portion of the draft. Maybe if possible just carry over two pages from here to keep things active.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I read a bit about Hoffman and heard he needs TJ surgery but also has been compared to Verlander. Seems like a high risk/extremely high reward type of pick. I like it.

He had the surgery already I believe but that's why we were able to get him.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Pentecost is still playing, this is what a scout have to say :

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-super-regional-breakdown-kennesaw-state-louisville/

“Offensively, I really like their lineup, they’ve got a very athletic lineup. Obviously Pentecost is the guy, you just can’t let him beat you. He is as good as billed. He’s a special player, and he’s a great kid—as good a player as he is, he’s equally as good a young man. You just can’t let him beat you. he’s a true five-tool guy because he runs. If you stay back and try to defend him, he’ll drop down a bunt; I’ve got to imagine he’s probably a 6.6 runner, and of course he’s got great bat speed. He’s a special player. I think it happened in the Alabama game, a 2-1 ballgame, first base open, they pitched to Pentecost and he hit a double and tied it up. Sometimes the ego gets to you and you say, ‘We’re just going to attack this kid and see if he can do it.’ So it will be interesting how they attack him. He makes you uncomfortable when he steps in the box. He might have two bunt hits, but he’s the kind of player that if he wants five bunt hits in a weekend, I’ll let him have them, because it’s better than five doubles.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Jays signed Luis Ayala to a minor league deal

Depth arm that I guess could pitch out of the bullpen if disaster strikes.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I actually really like the Pentecost pick.

Short compact swing.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

If he was healthy he would've gone in the top #1 or #2 overall. His injury (kind of a blessing in disguise) allowed him to drop far enough for us to take him. The sky is the limit with him. He's going to skyrocket through our system. I give him maximum 2 years before he's in our rotation. It's not going to take long.

I work the grave yard shift so I wasn't able to comment last night during the 2nd round. I was keeping up to date on my phone on breaks..I was shocked we were able to grab Reid-Foley at #49, absolute steal!! If we get all 3 signed they could punt every other pick, these 3 kids alone make this draft an A+. AA and the scouting staff deserve huge props for the job they did last night. Getting that much potential from the first 2 rounds is amazing. Reid-Foley was the #19 ranked prospect heading into the draft and we grabbed him 30 spots later..I love it!! What a night it was, we kill the Tigers, Orioles lose, and we get this massive haul in the draft.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It will improve by quite a bit but still wouldn't call it a top 5 system with how poorly bats and pitchers have been at Lansing + Sanchez (Norris/Pompey/Smith make up some of it but far too many bad performances from prospects in Lansing). Still, this is a good boost to the system that is still extremely loaded with arms.

May not be top 5 but it's damn close. Maybe 6th-10th. It's definitely top 10.

Hoffman
Sanchez
Norris
Pentecost
Reid-Foley

that's my new top 5

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I just looked at Pentecosts stats from this season.

62 games played

.423 batting average
9 home runs
58 RBI
1.114 OPS
17 SB
25k/29BB

:laugh: Those are some crazy good numbers.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

62 games played

.429 batting average
9 home runs
58 RBI
1.114 OPS
17 SB
25k/29BB

More importantly, look at his numbers from the Cape Cod League this past summer. Those were with a wooden bat, which is far more indicative of his tremendous hitting talent.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

62 games played

.423 batting average
9 home runs
58 RBI
1.114 OPS
17 SB
25k/29BB

Hoffman and him won't be in our system long that's for sure, they'll be ready to contribute to the big club a lot sooner than the prep kids we've taken in the past 2-3 years who were extremely raw but had huge upside. (Sanchez, Norris)

In the next 2-3 years, we're going to have a nice mix of high end young talent and veteran leadership. We're already contending as it is, now imagine having Stroman, Hoffman doing their thing, and Pentecost mashing doubles down the line. This team is going to be young and contending for a long time

Buerhle
Hoffman
Stroman
Hutchison
Dickey/Happ/Morrow

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
May not be top 5 but it's damn close. Maybe 6th-10th. It's definitely top 10.

Hoffman
Sanchez
Norris
Pentecost
Reid-Foley

that's my new top 5

The top ten (11), in no specific order, assuming Stroman graduates, imo:

Sanchez
Norris
Hoffman
Pentecost
Barreto
Osuna
Lugo
Reid-Foley
Pompey
Davis
Nay

That's of course subject to change as the season progresses, and also depending on whom else is taken in the rest of the draft. I believe Davis and Nay's numbers will improve through August, and of course, Osuna may return to get some innings in late August.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Good read on Reid-Foley from bluejay banter.

As the 49th pick in the draft, Sean Reid-Foley might be the biggest steal in recent years of the draft, as a guy believed to be solid mid-first round pick who dropped all the way to the Blue Jays in the second round. And if you ask me how that could happen, I really, really, don't know. He's a Florida State commit, but should be signable, perhaps a million higher than the slot (1.1M) with money saved from the Hoffman (and possibly Pentecost) pick(s). The biggest red flag is Reid-Foley's delivery, which features a high elbow, and that's usually a warning sign for injuries. However, the risk of injury, which, let's be honest, is there to some degree for every pitcher picked, does not outweigh the potential benefit of getting an extra first-round quality arm. The great thing about Foley is that he already throws four solid pitches, and throws them all for strikes, so he's not the same kind of risky pick as the 2012 draft's Matt Smoral, who was ranked in the first round region at the time.

Also one name to look out for today for the Jays Zech Lemond. Another kid who could get through our system quickly and contribute to the big club from the BP as he develops

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
More importantly, look at his numbers from the Cape Cod League this past summer. Those were with a wooden bat, which is far more indicative of his tremendous hitting talent.

fwiw for those who don't want to look it up, he put up a .346/.424/.538 with 6 HR and 5 SB in 150 PA or so.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Here's a nice quote from Hoffman. Seems like negotiations won't be much of an issue.

"“They’re an organization that’s up and coming and they’re ready to win and they’re ready to win now,” he said. “My feeling on that is as soon as I can, as soon as I’m back on the mound, I’m going to get as far as I can and try to make an impact as soon as possible on that team.”

"“I’m looking forward to getting something done and as soon as the Blue Jays are ready, me and my family are going to sit down and we’re going to try and get something done as soon as possible,” he said.

He sounds like a guy who is ready to get going, get his rehab finished and by 2015 help this team in the rotation. I'm so pumped for the present and the future with this team. So much young talent. If all goes well (fingers crossed) we have a Justin Verlander comparable in our system. Mix that in with Stroman and Hutch that's a deadly top 3

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
The top ten (11), in no specific order, assuming Stroman graduates, imo:

Sanchez
Norris
Hoffman
Pentecost
Barreto
Osuna
Lugo
Reid-Foley
Pompey
Davis
Nay

That's of course subject to change as the season progresses, and also depending on whom else is taken in the rest of the draft. I believe Davis and Nay's numbers will improve through August, and of course, Osuna may return to get some innings in late August.

Not many teams posses the quantity of highly tooled prospects who are having decent years as the Jays. Should be a top 5 system by years end.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Here's a nice quote from Hoffman. Seems like negotiations won't be much of an issue.

"“They’re an organization that’s up and coming and they’re ready to win and they’re ready to win now,†he said. “My feeling on that is as soon as I can, as soon as I’m back on the mound, I’m going to get as far as I can and try to make an impact as soon as possible on that team.â€

"“I’m looking forward to getting something done and as soon as the Blue Jays are ready, me and my family are going to sit down and we’re going to try and get something done as soon as possible,†he said.

He sounds like a guy who is ready to get going, get his rehab finished and by 2015 help this team in the rotation. I'm so pumped for the present and the future with this team. So much young talent. If all goes well (fingers crossed) we have a Justin Verlander comparable in our system. Mix that in with Stroman and Hutch that's a deadly top 3

And Norris with his Kershaw comparisons.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not many teams posses the quantity of highly tooled prospects who are having decent years as the Jays. Should be a top 5 system by years end.

If it isn't top 5 then it's gotta be pretty close. The talent in the top 10 now matches up with anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad