Blue Jays Discussion: Draft Day 1: Jays pick P Jeff Hoffman, C Max Pentecost, P Sean Reid-Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Not that it means anything at al... or is better for our system...

But its nice as a FAN to see the team take advanced college prospects who could make an impact in the near(er) future. After the last 3-4 drafts taking HSers that you knew would be totally off the radar for 3+ seasons.

Good balance so far too... 2 p's, 2 college prospects, 1 Prep arm... lots of variety and upside... tons to be excited about.

Close proximity to the majors is a definite plus, and these guys definitely figure to move quickly (in Hoffman's case, once he returns from TJS).

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd be shocked if Hoffman doesn't sign. Draft eligible next year as a senior put he may not throw a pitch entire season if he does return to college. Makes no sense for him to come back. This is not a Giolito situation. Giolito had options.

Not a huge fan of Pentecost.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Im anxious to see what AA does in rounds 5-10. He'll likely go after college seniors again. If we can target the best college seniors we'll be in good shape. I don't think we really expected Boyd or Graveman to turn into much and so far so good on that front.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Im anxious to see what AA does in rounds 5-10. He'll likely go after college seniors again. If we can target the best college seniors we'll be in good shape. I don't think we really expected Boyd or Graveman to turn into much and so far so good on that front.

I did :)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Burdi is a reliever all the way and Gatewood can't hit at all. I'd pass on both of them.

Reid-Foley would be a great pick-up if he falls that low. Gotta think Jays go with a HS arm with the next pick.

Light tower power but what good is that when you struggle to make contact.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

I believe Boyd was projected to be a decent 4/5 starter with decent stuff and a 4 pitch mix that he could command. Wasn't a nothing pick. I don't remember what was said about Graveman at the draft though.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I might be crazy but the whip on SRF's arm doesn't look very sound or rather mechanically proper

still has some nasty tail action on all his pitches though

darko

Feb 16, 2009
ask JP, he seems pretty good at hitting homeruns and striking out. Does Gatewood have horrible defence too? :laugh:

He's athletic for a guy that is 6'4 or 6'5. Also has a cannon of an arm. He's got tremendous upside but needs lots of work to get there. The ultimate boom or bust type.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
As per Mike Rosenbaum of BR (fwiw)

Comparables:

Jeff Hoffman - Justin Verlander

Max Pentecost - Russell Martin

Sean Reid-Foley - Patrick Corbin

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Wow, tons movement on every one of his pitches.
Anybody have a 20-80 breakdown on Hoffman and SRF's offerings?

Currently:

Hoffman: fastball (65), Curveball (65), Changeup (55),
Reid-Foley: fastball (60), Slider (60), Curveball (50), Changeup (50)

Crazy that they were able to select Reid-Foley at 49. Just ridiculous haul if they can get all three guys signed.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Currently:

Hoffman: fastball (65), Curveball (65), Changeup (55),
Reid-Foley: fastball (60), Slider (60), Curveball (50), Changeup (50)

Crazy that they were able to select Reid-Foley at 49. Just ridiculous haul if they can get all three guys signed.

And they can throw strikes which is pretty sweet too. Fantastic haul for the Jays and hopefully they continue to make good selections tomorrow.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hoffman's FB and CB are potential plus plus pitches too. Verlander comp has definitely been thrown around a lot, similarly like Sanchez but is of course a much more polished pitcher (though we wont get to see for a while).

Sounds like Hoffman was legitimately shocked to be picked up this early in the draft though and really wants to sign with the team quickly to get it out of the way. Someone here said Boras represents him and Rosenbaum said he does too on B/R so it'll be interesting dialogue between him and Beeston/AA.

Hoffman and Pentecost can potentially be up here by 2016 which is awesome. We'll see Sanchez, Norris and possibly Osuna knocking on the door by that time too.

SRF reminds me of the Orioles Hunter Harvey selection last year. I definitely think (and hope) they get a deal done with him. He had a lot of helium coming into the draft so I don't expect his demands to be too outlandish.

Last edited:

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I think Harvey had more projectibility than SRF but SRF seems to be more polished. I remember Harvey scouting reports being pretty impressive during the draft with low 90's fastball, touching 95 with projection and a good breaking ball and no concerns about his mechanics. Hindsight but it seems so weird now that he went so late. SRF present velocity is still pretty good even if he doesn't a couple of ticks.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I wish I were more of a prospect junkie, but these picks sound quite promising.

When can draftees start being signed and when is the deadline?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Love that it is realistic the Jays will be able to sign all 3 of these guys ... Great way to launch the prospect pool back into the upper echelons of the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad