HF Habs: Draft Combine 2022 - May 30 to June 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The canned responses were only a factor, not the whole story. I just named several other prospects who came off way different imo. Nice straw man by the way, I really hate how that’s the go to strategy on here for many when they disagree with someone.

The thing with Wright is he comes off as really desperate to sell himself, and not make any mistakes or say the wrong thing. Idk, I just find that off-putting. The other guys just seemed unassuming, laid back, and confident - they didn’t seem like they were trying to sell you a bill of goods like Wright did. Wright seemed like everything he said was what he thought teams wanted to hear, and not what he felt or thought. I don’t like that at all.
And I think you’re completely grasping at straws trying to find anything wrong.

He was an exceptional player at 15. That means he had media, interviews and microphones in his face since the age of 13-14. Of course he’s been drilled and likely even taken courses on how to deal with the media. Like Crosby, McDavid. Those are the two most boring athletes in the world.

The other prospects you mentioned have literally been in the spotlight for like 6 months. No pressure.

If anything, Wright has actually been open on what he needs to work on. Have the other two? Have they been grilled over and over again on what’s wrong with their games? I haven’t seen it.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Logan did not outperform Shane in every single test.

And Logan is from Pittsburgh. Who do you think he cheered for? Like what difference does your favourite team make?

It’s going to be a long month with these type of terrible takes.

Lol okay.

The great thing about Wright’s interview is he’s not going to care when fans say ridiculous things like you right now. Perfect fit in this city.

First he’s too cocky by saying he deserves to go 1st overall. Then it’s he’s not assertive enough. This fanbase is so f***ing fickle it’s crazy.
It’s a big fan base and there are a lot of different opinions - get over it.

I didn’t criticize him for saying he deserved to go number one. If someone else did, that has nothing to do with me.

He has a much higher ceiling, is more explosive and dynamic
Based on what? Visually, it doesn’t look like that. He also didn’t produce as well as Keller at the same age, and he played in the same program.

Reactions: MTL-rules

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I gotta say, after watching the interviews, I really don’t like Shane Wright. He lacks assertiveness, seems way too passive and like way too much of a people pleaser. He seems really hesitant and deathly afraid of making a mistake. That isn’t someone I want to be relying on as a go to guy on our team. His lack of intensity and unwillingness to go into the dirty areas makes a lot of sense now.

Something about his demeanor rubs me the wrong way. He doesn’t seem genuine - everything he says is some canned response/cliche, and seems extremely coached/premeditated. It really seems like this shallow, artificial, squeaky clean veneer of personality he has on. It’s off-putting. Like, who’s really underneath, and why does he feel the need to hide it?

Way more open to drafting Slafkovsky now than I was before. Slaf came off as a no BS, hardworking, confident kid - the opposite of Shane Wright. Shane’s lines trying to seem confident and talking about competitiveness seemed contrived, like basically everything else he said.

Tough one.

This is hilarious. Snap judgments based on basically nothing are very easy I guess. You should see a McDavid interview.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
And I think you’re completely grasping at straws trying to find anything wrong.

He was an exceptional player at 15. That means he had media, interviews and microphones in his face since the age of 13-14. Of course he’s been drilled and likely even taken courses on how to deal with the media. Like Crosby, McDavid. Those are the two most boring athletes in the world.

The other prospects you mentioned have literally been in the spotlight for like 6 months. No pressure.

If anything, Wright has actually been open on what he needs to work on. Have the other two? Have they been grilled over and over again on what’s wrong with their games? I haven’t seen it.
It’s not grasping at straws. I explained how his passiveness, and his coming off as hesitant and afraid to make a mistake falls right in with the criticisms of his game on the ice. It fits like a puzzle piece and explains a whole lot imo. I went into this being 100% sold on Wright because I hadn’t heard him talk too much before this. Now there’s doubt.

If the reason for coming off like he did is because he is so experienced with the media like you say, you’d think he’d be the laid back one and not the jittery, hesitant, cliche machine that we saw. A lot of his answers were just a whole lot of nothing, he was just talking in circles and regurgitating cliches and what he thought people wanted to hear. He would start nodding immediately before they had even asked the question lol. Idk man, I just don’t like the vibe. Body language and tone can tell a lot, not just words. His word were largely just cliches and canned responses, and I don’t like at all what the other factors were telling me.

Reactions: Kaladin

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It’s not grasping at straws. I explained how his passiveness, and his coming off as hesitant and afraid to make a mistake falls right in with the criticisms of his game on the ice. It fits like a puzzle piece and explains a whole lot imo. I went into this being 100% sold on Wright because I hadn’t heard him talk too much before this. Now there’s doubt.

If the reason for coming off like he did is because he is so experienced with the media like you say, you’d think he’d be the laid back one and not the jittery, hesitant, cliche machine that we saw. A lot of his answers were just a whole lot of nothing, he was just talking in circles and regurgitating cliches and what he thought people wanted to hear. He would start nodding immediately before they had even asked the question lol. Idk man, I just don’t like the vibe. Body language and tone can tell a lot, not just words. His word were largely just cliches and canned responses, and I don’t like at all what the other factors were telling me.
That is the exact definition of grasping at straws. You’re 100% sold on Wright until you hear one interview. It’s asinine. He didn’t proclaim himself to be a neo-Nazi. He didn’t say he hated the city of Montreal and he’d try even less for the franchise. He didn’t say he’d rather be playing basketball. You’re judging a hockey player, the most boring athletes in all of sports, based on an interview he did at the age of 18.

But to each their own I guess. I’m not surprised honestly.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
This is hilarious. Snap judgments based on basically nothing are very easy I guess. You should see a McDavid interview.
What’s the point of interviews then? And what snap judgement have I made? I said I would still likely pick him. It’s just that doubt has now creeped in based on his interviews for me.

And what’s hilarious is you bringing up McDavid. McDavids play on the ice did all the talking. He could have not said a single word leading up to the draft and he still would have went #1.

Wrights play is so far from that level, I don’t know why you would even bring up McDavid.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
That is the exact definition of grasping at straws. You’re 100% sold on Wright until you hear one interview. It’s asinine. He didn’t proclaim himself to be a neo-Nazi. He didn’t say he hated the city of Montreal and he’d try even less for the franchise. He didn’t say he’d rather be playing basketball. You’re judging a hockey player, the most boring athletes in all of sports, based on an interview he did at the age of 18.

Oh by all means, elaborate.

And like I said to the other poster, what judgements have I made? I said several times now that i’d still be likely to take him first. I just don’t like what I heard and saw in his interview.

I guess according to you, we are not allowed to have opinions or critique someone’s interview. So I’ll ask again, what’s the point of interviews for you then? Makes no sense. You honestly just seem mad that someone else isn’t excited by him to quite the same extent you are.

Reactions: SlafySZN

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
The frequent dipsy doodling instead of making the more effective simple pass isn't exactly guaranteed to be translatable in the NHL.

Lol and what about Cooley's linemates? His production was also low at the start due to him babysitting rookies, it goes both ways.
His game will mature in the next year + when he'll get to the NHL.

Babysitting rookies lol come one it's guys his own age. Wright should make them better, he's supposed to be the best player. He started producing at a higher pace when he started playing with two older players.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oh by all means, elaborate.

And like I said to the other poster, what judgements have I made? I said several times now that i’d still be likely to take him first. I just don’t like what I heard and saw in his interview.

I guess according to you, we are not allowed to have opinions or critique someone’s interview. So I’ll ask again, what’s the point of interviews for you then? Makes no sense. You honestly just seem mad that someone else isn’t excited by him to quite the same extent you are.
You’re allowed to have your opinions, it’s fine. I just think questioning his draft position based on an interview is stupid. Especially when your only concern is that it sounds like canned responses as if 98% of the league doesn’t do the same thing.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Logan did not outperform Shane in every single test.

And Logan is from Pittsburgh. Who do you think he cheered for? Like what difference does your favourite team make?

It’s going to be a long month with these type of terrible takes.

Lol okay.

The great thing about Wright’s interview is he’s not going to care when fans say ridiculous things like you right now. Perfect fit in this city.

First he’s too cocky by saying he deserves to go 1st overall. Then it’s he’s not assertive enough. This fanbase is so f***ing fickle it’s crazy.
He cheered for the Washington Capitals as a kid. lol.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Jack was a top guy in every single physical event.

Logan outperformed Shane on every single physical test as well. Management took Cooley and Wright out to dinner and Logan's athletic responses were MUCH better than Wrights.

LC mentions winning a number of times while SW talks about his desire to just be 1st overall/how the pens were his fav team.
Another B.S. post fabricating facts....this board is pathetic. Cooley did out perform Wright overall but it wasn't a clean sweep as I know Wright beat him in one of the Agility and Balance tests. These tests mean absolutely nothing for the top prospects unless the player is grossly out of shape. If you put so much importance on it do you believe Jack Hughes is now a top 10 pick?

I think both Cooley and Wright are great prospects but I prefer Wright.....see how I did that. I didn't have to lie about anything or exaggerate anything to express my opinion.

There has always been a phenomenon where fans attach themselves to contrarian views and twist the facts to support their views that range on a continuum of unlikely to impossible. It has become increasingly pervasive in society over the last 6 years and went into overdrive during Covid.

I noticed that the Cooley sycophants have in some cases opted to round down Wright's height while rounding up Cooley's height. Suddenly Wright is 6'0" and Cooley is 5'11" therefore they are practically the same height.... Why can't we just leave the facts alone and use them as the pillars from which intelligent debate can emerge?

Imagine if Wright declined to take part in the testing like Slafkovsky chose to do.....A certain poster here would have went so deep into the bizzarro world that he currents resides in that we would have to quarantine him in his own private thread.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Flaming Hot Garbage-yuk Take

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You’re allowed to have your opinions, it’s fine. I just think questioning his draft position based on an interview is stupid. Especially when your only concern is that it sounds like canned responses as if 98% of the league doesn’t do the same thing.
Wow dude, I’ve said several times now that the canned response isn’t the only factor, or the only concern, and that I’d still more than likely draft him 1st. You are arguing against a position you’ve made up in your mind. Don’t know what to tell you at this point.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Wow dude, I’ve said several times now that the canned response isn’t the only factor, or the only concern, and that I’d still more than likely draft him 1st. You are arguing against a position you’ve made up in your mind. Don’t know what to tell you at this point.
I went into this being 100% sold on Wright because I hadn’t heard him talk too much before this. Now there’s doubt.

That is a literal quote from you. Just move up the page. You were 100% sold on him and now you’re questioning him after hearing him talk, which is exactly what I said.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Babysitting rookies lol come one it's guys his own age. Wright should make them better, he's supposed to be the best player. He started producing at a higher pace when he started playing with two older players.
Well you don't know that for sure.

Experience matters more than age and Wright DID make them better. Wright scored more when he wasn't buried in defensive zone assignments and played with the best players, seems fairly straightforward to me.

Since you ignored it, I'll bring it up again, what about Cooley's linemates? You know, the ones who are projected to go in the 1st round and maybe even top 15?

When comparing Cooley to Wright, you can't shit on Wright's production but then ignore the fact that nobody has ever been drafted 1st overall with Logan Cooley's production.

The closest production comparable would be Zegras who went 9th overall and played on one of the most stacked USDP teams in history and I'd say that limited his ice time and thus limited the possibility of him producing more. There's also Milano with a similar PPG as Cooley who went 16th overall and he was an AHL guy until this year (but his stats were skewed due to playing with Eichel).

Reactions: Redux91

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I went into this being 100% sold on Wright because I hadn’t heard him talk too much before this. Now there’s doubt.

That is a literal quote from you. Just move up the page. You were 100% sold on him and now you’re questioning him after hearing him talk, which is exactly what I said.
You go back and read the page. I know what I said. You claimed that I was “judging” him. You also tried to frame it like I was solely focusing on the “canned responses” part and that I dropped him based on the interview. I explained several times that is not the case. You also brought in straw man arguments about McDavid.

Why can’t you debate/argue in good faith? The reason why is because you are simply mad at an opinion that is different than yours and you don’t want to put in the effort to debate it with any argument of your own. But this is online message board - par for the course.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Well you don't know that for sure.

Experience matters more than age and Wright DID make them better. Wright scored more when he wasn't buried in defensive zone assignments and played with the best players, seems fairly straightforward to me.

Since you ignored it, I'll bring it up again, what about Cooley's linemates? You know, the ones who are projected to go in the 1st round and maybe even top 15?

When comparing Cooley to Wright, you can't shit on Wright's production but then ignore the fact that nobody has ever been drafted 1st overall with Logan Cooley's production.

The closest production comparable would be Zegras who went 9th overall and played on one of the most stacked USDP teams in history and I'd say that limited his ice time and thus limited the possibility of him producing more. There's also Milano with a similar PPG as Cooley who went 16th overall and he was an AHL guy until this year (but his stats were skewed due to playing with Eichel).

Hope you know stats isn't all that when it comes to prospects and where they'll rank in the draft, otherwise Jordan Dumais would be at the top.

By the way, Zegras would go way higher already in a re-draft of the 2019 class.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You go back and read the page. I know what I said. You claimed that I was “judging” him. You also tried to frame it like I was solely focusing on the “canned responses” part and that I dropped him based on the interview. I explained several times that is not the case. You also brought in straw man arguments about McDavid.

Why can’t you debate/argue in good faith? The reason why is because you are simply mad at an opinion that is different than yours and you don’t want to put in the effort to debate it with any argument of your own. But this is online message board - par for the course.
I’m not misquoting. Why are you pretending that I am? The quote is right there. No doubter of a pick, now you doubt. You’re really going in circles to try and prove you didn’t say something you did.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hope you know stats isn't all that when it comes to prospects and where they'll rank in the draft, otherwise Jordan Dumais would be at the top.

By the way, Zegras would go way higher already in a re-draft of the 2019 class.
You're literally complaining about Wright's production and then say that stats aren't everything lol. Quit contradicting yourself.

Yes I'm aware how good Zegras is... I don't even think you read my post fully since you missed the point big time.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017

He did make the rookies better. Both of their production fell off a cliff after being moved from Wright. Soto went from at or above a point per game to barely getting a point in the second half of the season.

Think about your logic for a second. Is his production supposed to go down when he starts playing with better players that can actually finish plays he makes? Of course it's going to go up man c'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad