Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Anyone know much about Bobby Brink? He is a little undersized but is putting up great numbers for the Sioux City Musketeers in the USHL. Also his linemates production has decreased a lot after he got injured. Is there a reason why he’s not ranked high on many lists?

Just got back from that injury this past weekend, still looks good.

I agree with people are saying he has a TJ Oshie vibe.

He's committed to Denver but some are saying he may be switching that to Minnesota.

Most lists I see have him in the first round or just outside it.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So according to the just released ISS rankings, Leason is up to 20. Gimme a primer, draft geeks.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
So according to the just released ISS rankings, Leason is up to 20. Gimme a primer, draft geeks.

Lots of mixed reactions here with him. I guess because he's an overager.

Some scouts commented on his skating or lack thereof.

I watched him 3 times so far. Probably not enough to give a real accurate assessment, but the size, skill combo looked pretty damn good to me. He's got an edge to his game. Didn't think his skating was terrible.

Reactions: jas

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

The knock on Leason for a long time was his skating. He lacked a high gear and his feet were heavy when starting and stopping or getting off that first couple steps. This year he's significantly improved that part of his game. He's not a speedster by any stretch but he moves well and it's allowing him to get into open ice and use the other tools at his disposal. He's considerably better on the rush this year.

For me the best part of his game is his ability to play in the slot. He has good hands in tight, uses his body well to shield the puck, and can find the puck in traffic to get it on net or dish out wide. He tracks the puck well from the point and be an effective net-front presence. His release is underrated, IMO, and he gets good accuracy and velocity on his shot. Not going to make a living beating guys from the circles, but it's NHL caliber for sure.

The real criticism now is the fact that he's a 6'4 200lb overager playing against teenagers. That's a big advantage for sure, but I don't see a Grachev sort of player who was simply bigger, faster, and stronger than his peers and being propped up by better players. Leason is the driver on his team this year.

Now, I definitely don't see him as a center as a pro. For me he's a good scoring winger who compliments a couple of skilled players on a 2nd line. The really intriguing aspect is when you start to question if he's catching up to his draft class, or if he's just a late bloomer with even more potential. If you see the latter, he's well worth a pick in the 20's in this year's draft, IMO. If the Rangers are able to get a pick in that range I'd have no issue taking him.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Anyone know much about Bobby Brink? He is a little undersized but is putting up great numbers for the Sioux City Musketeers in the USHL. Also his linemates production has decreased a lot after he got injured. Is there a reason why he’s not ranked high on many lists?

Been hyping him up for a little bit, now. I love the smarts he has!! Sees the ice very well and digs hard in the corners. Gritty playmaker with some nasty hands. Almost Marchand-like. Not sure if he'll move up in the 1st, but I believe he is a late 1st round talent.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Been hyping him up for a little bit, now. I love the smarts he has!! Sees the ice very well and digs hard in the corners. Gritty playmaker with some nasty hands. Almost Marchand-like. Not sure if he'll move up in the 1st, but I believe he is a late 1st round talent.
Almost that time of year with the TDL coming...sorry if I'm late to the party in this thread but who do you like if lets say hypothetically speaking we had around picks 25 and 31 besides our own pick? thanks

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

A lot are worried about out producing in his double-overage season, but he doesn't have terrible skating and shot. He's one of the main catalysts on Prince Albert's offense. I think he'd be a safe bet for the bottom 6, like a Kyle Brodziak-type. I don't think the offense will follow to pros, though.

Edit: @Trxjw put it best....

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Almost that time of year with the TDL coming...sorry if I'm late to the party in this thread but who do you like if lets say hypothetically speaking we had around picks 25 and 31 besides our own pick? thanks

Hmm....

Hard to tell really. I usually am in the minority on some talents that get listed in a specific range. For instance, Dorofeyev is on most lists in the later 1st to early 2nd and I think he is a top 15 talent. Same goes for C. Caufield, albeit top 20.

I guess I would say Albin Grewe, Nils Hoglander, Tobias Bjornfot, Jakob Pelletier, Ville Heinola amongst others I can't think of, ATM.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Hmm....

Hard to tell really. I usually am in the minority on some talents that get listed in a specific range. For instance, Dorofeyev is on most lists in the later 1st to early 2nd and I think he is a top 15 talent. Same goes for C. Caufield, albeit top 20.

I guess I would say Albin Grewe, Nils Hoglander, Tobias Bjornfot, Jakob Pelletier, Ville Heinola amongst others I can't think of, ATM.
Thanks man. I've heard varying opinions of the strength of the first round 1-31. Some people say its kinda weak after 15 but others like gm Jim Rutherford (I believe it was him) who said this is a very strong first round. do you think we could draft two quality guys like Miller/Nils with two picks in the 23/25-31 range?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Thanks man. I've heard varying opinions of the strength of the first round 1-31. Some people say its kinda weak after 15 but others like gm Jim Rutherford (I believe it was him) who said this is a very strong first round. do you think we could draft two quality guys like Miller/Nils with two picks in the 23/25-31 range?

Could very well happen, again, depending on who. I would agree that it drops off after the top 15-20, but I wouldn't say it's a weak class by any means. I think it's midseason form for HF, lolol....

When June gets closer and all the videos start pouring out for draft footage and highlights, it'll heat back up again.

I do strongly think, though, that next year's draft is going to be incredible!! NYR seem to think so by getting that 2020 7th from Nashville today ;)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Lots of mixed reactions here with him. I guess because he's an overager.

Some scouts commented on his skating or lack thereof.

I watched him 3 times so far. Probably not enough to give a real accurate assessment, but the size, skill combo looked pretty damn good to me. He's got an edge to his game. Didn't think his skating was terrible.
Leason is considered a good skater by consensus
What scouts said his skating isn’t there?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Leason is considered a good skater by consensus
What scouts said his skating isn’t there?

For starters...

Raiders GM Curtis Hunt;

Raiders general manager Curtis Hunt, who acquired Leason from the Tri-City Americans in a trade during the 2017-18 WHL season, credited the player for working his skating and mobility in the off-season. Leason’s offensive explosion is thus, in a manner of thinking, his preparation coinciding with an opportunity for a increased playing time this season with the Raiders compared to his time with the Americans.
They had a whole slew of skilled players. He probably didn’t get the exposure. There were maybe some question marks around his skating but everybody likes that size. He does have tremendous skill and a heavy shot. Certainly he has gotten everyone’s attention now.

Montreal Gazette;
It’s a huge leap from where Leason was a year ago, when he managed just 15 goals and 32 points for the Prince Albert Raiders. Then again, the Leason on display today looks nothing like one scouts saw two years — or even a year — ago when he was buried down the depth chart and seemed too slow, too soft and not dynamic enough to be an NHL prospect.
“I watch him now and he doesn’t even look the same,” said Seidel, who had Leason ranked 28th as of this month . “I see online that he should have been a draft pick last year. Nobody was talking about him last year. He was just a guy.”

Brett Leason; about his own skating.

“I need to work on my strengths and being stronger in battles. I also need to work on my skating and get faster and stronger there as well. My first three strides need improvement.”

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Im trying to think of the last time an overager was picked in the first two rounds.

It doesnt happen often.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
9 games, and a little over 2 weeks to the trade deadline. Club has won 6 of their last 4 one of which was an OT loss. 5 Pts from the Kings, 6 pts up from the Devs, 10 pts up from the Senators. Similar position too where they were last season. They were losing games, and looked like crap but miraculously there were other clubs that just couldn’t get out of their own way. Such a nice draft to grab a top 3 pick, but starting to feel like with each game passing that they need a real stroke of luck to land the lotto pick.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Am I correct in assuming that the gap between Hughes and Kakko is considered to be narrower than the gap between Kakko and #3?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Am I correct in assuming that the gap between Hughes and Kakko is considered to be narrower than the gap between Kakko and #3?
Yep a lot of guys have been thrown around as being the third best player in the draft. Between Byram, Cozens, Podkozlin, Dach, and Turcotte there's not a lot of consensus of who the third best player in the draft is. However, I'm pretty sure just about everyone has Hughes and Kappo as the top 2 players in this draft (besides one draft "expert" who doesn't post on these boards anymore)

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I haven't seen enough to really bank on it, but just going by what I have seen, I think Turcotte will close the gap and run away with 3. But probably only challenge for 2 if there are off-ice/combine preferences in favor of Turcotte over Kakko. JMHO.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The US hockey program has really caught up with the Canadian dito the last years. Record few Canadian kids go in the top 3 etc. Programs are always up and down, and Canada will always produce great young players. McDavid is the best the last 5 years and he was from the CHL. One of the best development curves belongs to Barzal who is a CHL product and so forth.

But a thought I can't avoid to think when I start to watch the kids out there before the 2019 draft -- is it really correct to assume that the Canadian program is down right now, in the sense that it will rebound any year, and that the US program is up and is bound to come down to earth anytime soon?

I know what the thinking has been in Sweden the last decade. Watch the US program, they are taking it to another level and we must be prepared to mirror what they are doing or risk getting caught behind. There has been a lot of talk in Sweden about creating a development team too, but instead adjustments have been made to get those benefits in other ways. A ton of camps. Travelling group of support coaches that works with the top kids. For now, its still considered. But we need to remember that those players on the development team really really are pushed hard and given every possible support they can get. Its the best in the country focusing everything they got on providing perfect development opportunities for them.

Canada have the opposite of a development team. All kids are spread out all over the country and in the mercy of each and every junior team/coach. Add to that a lot of bus travels and often a pretty gruesome game schedule.

When I watch the kids before this draft, I can't help but to think that like the gap between the US kids and Canadian kids is getting bigger, not smaller... The Turcottes, Boldys, Caufields and co have IMO just come further in their development. They especially play at a faster pace. They are more creative and goes to the net and make plays in traffic, as opposed to getting it below the hash marks to go from there. Its not that a Cozens isn't a talented kid, he has all the talent, but how effective will he really be in the NHL? The game is so fast now.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
As long as we get a top 7 pick I'm happy. To me there is a clear top 7 of Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach, Byram and Turcotte.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
All these C's are nice and all but i'm still picking Byram 3rd if i have the chance.

And Lavoie isn't sniffing my top 10, he's #3 among these Q guys for me after Legaré and Pelletier.

Reactions: Rangers743
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig