Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Cozens could at least start out as a grinder. He's got that style of game that could keep pace right away. Think Dach would need to fill out more before joining the league. I wouldn't say Dach is too far off, though. He could very well make a 2019/2020 roster. There have been surprises before!!

This seems accurate with Dach. His upside is great, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a roster year 1 if he really tried to fill out in the offseason. Look at Chytil, he wasn't filled out and he made the Rangers roster. He still isn't fully filled out I feel like, lol.

Reactions: Joey Bones

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would hope the Rangers wll be ultra aggressive to trade up and get Kirby Dach which is exactly what they need. A big forward with high offensive upside that is a righty shot.
For that to happen, the Rangers would likely have to trade into the top 5. Which probably means that they need a top 10 and another top 20 to do so.
Enough of this Euro crap also. They are building a soft team.
Gorton and Quinn are building anything but a soft team. Anderson is not soft. I would consider Chityl soft. Keane is not soft. Just to name a few. As for soft Euros, would you characterize Podzolikin as soft?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Any opinions from anyone regarding who would be ready to jump right into an NHL lineup in 2019-2020 besides Hughes? Thanks. Or who would at very least be as close to NHL ready as Hughes?

other than hughes its definitely cozens.

in fact, cozens game is truly high end in all aspects.

if there is some way we move up and grab him, hes the other guy with dynamic stuff that might make a roster next fall.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Grewe is 10,000,000% NOT SOFT. In fact, he's a **** to play against....
I want him so bad with a late 1st if we get one (which is like 99% likely)
Other guys I want in the 20-31 range
Seider
Tomasino
Pasic
Pelletier

And with our top 10 pick realistically I’d be eying Newhook

An ideal/realistic draft for me would be
1st round
5-10: Newhook
20-31 (2 picks): Seider, Pelletier, Soderstrom (unlikely)
2nd round
Two of Pasic/Tomasino/Cajkovic/Heinola/Donovan/Thomson/Hoglander
3rd round:
Lundmark/Blaisdell/Washkurak/Toporowski/Barinka/McCarthy
4th round:
Simoneau/A.Johansson/Beaucage/Farinacci
5th round:
Kalle Loponen/Pribylskiy/Schwindt
6th round:
Winterton/Tuomisto/
7th round:
Berger

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Cosentino has a pretty good viewing on some of these kids. I trust his analysis....
My only real gripe with him is I think he can rely on tournaments a little too much for some of the Europeans, but being a network scout you can only go to the games you’re sent to and all, other than that I think he does some good work

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
My only real gripe with him is I think he can rely on tournaments a little too much for some of the Europeans, but being a network scout you can only go to the games you’re sent to and all, other than that I think he does some good work

Agreed. CHL-wise, I think he's excellent. But he doesn't have obvious tournament biases like Button. That's probably why he didn't have Broberg in that list you posted.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Agreed. CHL-wise, I think he's excellent. But he doesn't have obvious tournament biases like Button. That's probably why he didn't have Broberg in that list you posted.
I have a memory of him being pretty judgey about the Kravtsov pick, but I also remember him loving Miller too. And somehow he has a lot of good insider info on what teams (mostly the Canadian ones) are trying to do and who they really like on draft day

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Love Podkolzin. Every time I’ve seen the kid, he gives me those, “I can’t wait to see what he does” vibes.
It’s hard for me to see him go top-5 because of his contract situation, but he’s absolutely the type of guy I could see a GM who knows he has ownerships trust for the next few years (coughGortoncough) pick

Reactions: jas

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I wasn’t really sold on Podkolzin simply because of his contract situation but taking a guy who will be pro ready but won’t come for 3 years may be a good shot in the arm and friendly ELC at just the right time for this team.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Podkolzin only excels against C-level competition. WJAC? Give me a break, no other legit prospects are there. Look at his numbers in the VHL and MHL - they're mediocre at best. His current level of scoring in the MHL and VHL is equivalent to 0.5 PPG in the OHL. I know counting stats aren't everything, but if you're not even in the top-5 in PPG on your MHL team as a forward I'm not picking you in the top-20, end of.

Conversely, apparently a ranking is terrible if you have Kaliyev at 10. Maybe there is a risk he is Brendl 2.0 (that risk was always there with Wahlström as well and nobody apart from @Ola seemed to hold that against him), but he is producing like Svechnikov out there. An issue with Kaliyev is that he is drafted out of the CHL and I don't think that is a good spot for him going forward if he can't make the NHL in his D+1 season. He is already tearing up the OHL to the degree that he won't learn much by another year there, he needs to play in a higher league. I'd honestly explore if he'd want to play a year in the KHL (not sure if he speaks Russian or not, I know he is American-born) if he couldn't crack the NHL roster.

It's still early though, a lot can happen before the draft. I usually don't want to comment on draft rankings before March at the earliest.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Podkolzin only excels against C-level competition. WJAC? Give me a break, no other legit prospects are there. Look at his numbers in the VHL and MHL - they're mediocre at best. His current level of scoring in the MHL and VHL is equivalent to 0.5 PPG in the OHL. I know counting stats aren't everything, but if you're not even in the top-5 in PPG on your MHL team as a forward I'm not picking you in the top-20, end of.

Conversely, apparently a ranking is terrible if you have Kaliyev at 10. Maybe there is a risk he is Brendl 2.0 (that risk was always there with Wahlström as well and nobody apart from @Ola seemed to hold that against him), but he is producing like Svechnikov out there. An issue with Kaliyev is that he is drafted out of the CHL and I don't think that is a good spot for him going forward if he can't make the NHL in his D+1 season. He is already tearing up the OHL to the degree that he won't learn much by another year there, he needs to play in a higher league. I'd honestly explore if he'd want to play a year in the KHL (not sure if he speaks Russian or not, I know he is American-born) if he couldn't crack the NHL roster.

It's still early though, a lot can happen before the draft. I usually don't want to comment on draft rankings before March at the earliest.
I didn’t see it with Wahlstrom last year, I don’t really see it with Kaliyev this year either, I think Caulfield is going to end up the better player. And while I do like Podkolzin, I definitely ageee that his production (or lack thereof) is a pretty big red flag

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For those eyeing the numbers, at the age of 17, the difference between Kravtsov and Podkolzin in the MHL (at this point) essentially comes down to Podkolzin's linemates burying one more chance from him and/or one more shot getting through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad