Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Updated mocks....

2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

1 (10) D: Philip Broberg (SWE)(6'3/198lbs., Shot: Left, AIK/Allsvenskan)

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (11) LW: Peyton Krebs (CAN)(5'11"/181lbs., Shot: Left, Kootenay/WHL)

2019 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

1 (11) C: Ryan Suzuki (CAN)(6'0"/172lbs., Shot: Left, Barrie/OHL)
2 (42) C/RW: Elmer Soderblom (SWE)(6'6"/172lbs., Shot: Left, Frolunda J20/SuperElit)
2 (62) C: Brett Leason (CAN)(6'4"/205lbs., Shot: Right, Prince Albert/WHL) *Overager +2*
3 (73) LW: Nicholas Porco (CAN)(6'0"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Saginaw/OHL)
5 (135) D: Ville Heinola (FIN)(5'11"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Lukko/Liiga)
6 (166) D: Samuel Bolduc (CAN)(6'4"/212lbs., Shot: Left, Blainville-Boisbriand/QMJHL)
7 (197) LW: Kieran Brown (GBR)(5'10"/161lbs., Shot: Left, Sheffield/EIHL)

Not a bad mock, but the Rangers would be shooting for a big boom/bust potential. Suzuki is a good get at No. 11. Strong, playmaking center that I think has a highly underrated shot. Can also be physical when necessary. Soderblom is a big, mobile two-way forward that is positionally sound. Has good hands 1-on-1 and can snipe the keeper at the hashmarks. Hasn't had the best numbers so far in the SuperElit, but I think he has the skill level to take it up a notch down the stretch. I think the 2nd round is a reach for him, ATM. Leason is a double overager who's scoring left and right for Prince Albert. His playmaking is his biggest asset and is a pass first player, but doesn't have a bad shot. He's big and fast, but not overly physical and has a lazy forecheck/backcheck. I think his leg speed alone could push him to the NHL, but not sure about his offense and below-average physicality. ATM, the late 2nd is a good spot for him. Porco is similar to Leason, IMO. Another big and fast forward, but not overly physical. The difference with him is that he's more of a goal scoring forward. Think he's an interesting pick in the 3rd. Heinola is an underrated pick up in the 5th. Playing on the same team as Ranger prospect, Tarmo Reunanen, Heinola is offensive minded and can find hard to pass lanes to set up a goal. He does need to gain some size so that he could be better at clearing the crease. Gap control and backwards foot speed needs work, too. He needs touching up on the defensive side of things, but a 17 year old playing in Liiga consistently is huge. Brown is supposed to be the next British born player to be drafted by an NHL team this year, but he hasn't found consistent playing time with Sheffield this season. Not looking good for him, ATM. Pass on Bolduc.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Lion Hound

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Just watched the Rimouski/Sherbrooke game. Not much to report on, really. Lafreniere is as advertised. Completely amazing on the ice. Colten Ellis had a nice performance in net.

Only overager I liked out there was C. E. D'Astous. Was solid on both ends and had two goals. He's surprisingly been consistent for two years now. Thinking he's one free agent draftee in the spring to look at.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Thoughts on Seider?

Big, smart, defensive minded puck distributor. Has pretty good wheels and can give/take hits. Not a bad wrist shot, either. I could see this kid having a mean streak, too. He's looked pretty good in the WJC-D1A so far. Think if he continues to show an immense domination in D1A, he'll rise in the 1st round because everyone takes the WJC stage incredibly seriously, but not entirely the season as a whole. But if he can lift/lead Germany out of D1A and back into the main WJC stage, that's incredibly solid and worthy of the praise.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Updated mocks....

2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

1 (10) D: Philip Broberg (SWE)(6'3/198lbs., Shot: Left, AIK/Allsvenskan)

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (11) LW: Peyton Krebs (CAN)(5'11"/181lbs., Shot: Left, Kootenay/WHL)

2019 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

1 (11) C: Ryan Suzuki (CAN)(6'0"/172lbs., Shot: Left, Barrie/OHL)
2 (42) C/RW: Elmer Soderblom (SWE)(6'6"/172lbs., Shot: Left, Frolunda J20/SuperElit)
2 (62) C: Brett Leason (CAN)(6'4"/205lbs., Shot: Right, Prince Albert/WHL) *Overager +2*
3 (73) LW: Nicholas Porco (CAN)(6'0"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Saginaw/OHL)
5 (135) D: Ville Heinola (FIN)(5'11"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Lukko/Liiga)
6 (166) D: Samuel Bolduc (CAN)(6'4"/212lbs., Shot: Left, Blainville-Boisbriand/QMJHL)
7 (197) LW: Kieran Brown (GBR)(5'10"/161lbs., Shot: Left, Sheffield/EIHL)

Thoughts?

I'm definitely going with Zegras with those picks at 11. I think he's flying a little under the radar, which is weird to say for a possible top-10 pick, but with Hughes, Boldy, and Turcotte getting the attention he's a bit of a sleeper. Crazy hockey IQ and vision to go along with a great set of feet and hands.

Mentioned Reason a few pages back as a possible target with a late first as I'm not sure he lasts to the 2nd round. Not sure the depth is there at the top end of the draft to push a kid like that into the late 30's. Very talented kid who really looks like a late bloomer as opposed to the usual over ager rolling over kids.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm definitely going with Zegras with those picks at 11. I think he's flying a little under the radar, which is weird to say for a possible top-10 pick, but with Hughes, Boldy, and Turcotte getting the attention he's a bit of a sleeper. Crazy hockey IQ and vision to go along with a great set of feet and hands.

Mentioned Reason a few pages back as a possible target with a late first as I'm not sure he lasts to the 2nd round. Not sure the depth is there at the top end of the draft to push a kid like that into the late 30's. Very talented kid who really looks like a late bloomer as opposed to the usual over ager rolling over kids.

Agreed on Zegras. Not so much on Leason....

He looks good with his speed and size combo just not sure if it's because he's been in the WHL for two more seasons than most. I definitely don't think he's a first round talent, though. He needs to show more physicality than just poke with his long reach. He leans towards lazy tendencies with that poke check which if he misses, he's out of position and let's the defender cut in for a scoring chance. Not really a fan of the defensive side, but offensively he's okay. I think the late 2nd round is a good spot for him to go, ATM. Let's see how he looks if he makes Canada.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

He looks good with his speed and size combo just not sure if it's because he's been in the WHL for two more seasons than most. I definitely don't think he's a first round talent, though. He needs to show more physicality than just poke with his long reach. He leans towards lazy tendencies with that poke check which if he misses, he's out of position and let's the defender cut in for a scoring chance. Not really a fan of the defensive side, but offensively he's okay. I think the late 2nd round is a good spot for him to go, ATM. Let's see how he looks if he makes Canada.
Leason strikes me as a guy that will turn into a modern-day Kyle Brodziak or Adam Lowry. I don't think he's skilled enough to suddenly emerge as this top-6 option that will provide crazy offense, but I do think he'll find his niche as a big, grinding C that can shut down other opponents.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The more and more I think about it, I think that if the Rangers can get a top-5 pick, Byram is the right choice. If he and Miller come close to their high ends, you are talking about controlling one side of the ice for virtually the entire game.
Byram could be there after 5 as well.

It would depend for me on who's on the board at the time. I'd much rather get another center, again depending on who's sitting at the Rangers pick.

I wish he was right handed, would make taking him a bit easier to justify for myself. But if he's the BPA I guess you have to take him

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I agree his defensive game needs work, but I don't think it'll be a huge issue as a pro. I have him rated as a high 2nd round pick but I just don't think he'll last that long. I know some folks see the fact that he's an overager as the key reason he's putting up numbers, but not many overagers score 2PPG. He's a month younger than Cody Glass and he's pacing right with him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Any opinions from anyone regarding who would be ready to jump right into an NHL lineup in 2019-2020 besides Hughes? Thanks. Or who would at very least be as close to NHL ready as Hughes?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I see a lot of talk about which goalie we will be drafting (and we will get one) but I'd like to throw a name in the hat: Vladislav Sukhachyov. Not sure if we'd go with a 4YE but I wouldn't mind grabbing him with a 7th rounder.

He had an amazing game against SKA earlier and without that performance, Traktor loses that game by 5 or 6. He's not the biggest goalie but he could be a buy-low candidate. Maybe not even draft him, but sign him as an UDFA next summer. The Rangers scouts must have at least some report on him.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Any opinions from anyone regarding who would be ready to jump right into an NHL lineup in 2019-2020 besides Hughes? Thanks. Or who would at very least be as close to NHL ready as Hughes?

It's hard to say because there are always some surprises, but Kakko is probably the one other guy who I'd bet on stepping in right away and contributing. Dach has a boatload of upside in my opinion, but he needs to polish his game and fill out his frame. Cozens' game translates very well to the pros so he's a possibility. Podkolzin isn't coming over for a few years so while I think he could maybe play next year he simply can't. It's hard for defenders to make the jump right away but Byram has a shot.

Outside of that list it's anyone's guess.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I agree his defensive game needs work, but I don't think it'll be a huge issue as a pro. I have him rated as a high 2nd round pick but I just don't think he'll last that long. I know some folks see the fact that he's an overager as the key reason he's putting up numbers, but not many overagers score 2PPG. He's a month younger than Cody Glass and he's pacing right with him.

I understand that (and it bodes well for him), but that wasn't my entire issue with him as a 1st rounder. His defensive tendencies aren't that significant to stop offense from the points. Positioning is good, but not great. He reaches for the puck instead of putting the stick in the lane. If he goes 1-on-1 with a defenseman who could dance on the blue line, he's gonna get beat. I agree with @Mac n Gs that he looks kind of like a Kyle Brodziak/Trevor Lewis-type, but not so sure about the shut down aspect. He doesn't defend all that well. He's gonna need to start being physical, too, in order to gain some sort of "pro" prowess.

If he makes Canada and shows that, then yes.... there could be some of that to his game and he could very well provide a team with a solid pro career. For all we know, Prince Albert could be using him completely different. But as of now, he seems a bit risky, to me, for a 1st round pick. I think the late 2nd is a good spot for him, ATM.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Probably Kakko and Cozens. Long shots could be Byram, Seider and Grewe....

Reactions: bl02

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I see a lot of talk about which goalie we will be drafting (and we will get one) but I'd like to throw a name in the hat: Vladislav Sukhachyov. Not sure if we'd go with a 4YE but I wouldn't mind grabbing him with a 7th rounder.

He had an amazing game against SKA earlier and without that performance, Traktor loses that game by 5 or 6. He's not the biggest goalie but he could be a buy-low candidate. Maybe not even draft him, but sign him as an UDFA next summer. The Rangers scouts must have at least some report on him.

Wouldn't mind him, either. He's been solid throughout his career. Not sure why he's slipped so often. He is tiny, though. Also a part of Traktor!!

But, hey, if Mikhail Berdin can get drafted then why can't Sukhachev!!

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Not sure if it were mentioned in this thread, but Liljegren suffered a high ankle sprain the other day and he could be out week-to-week. Sweden replaced him, ATM, with Philip Broberg. Would be a great look for him after a solid performance during the Hlinka.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I understand that (and it bodes well for him), but that wasn't my entire issue with him as a 1st rounder. His defensive tendencies aren't that significant to stop offense from the points. Positioning is good, but not great. He reaches for the puck instead of putting the stick in the lane. If he goes 1-on-1 with a defenseman who could dance on the blue line, he's gonna get beat. I agree with @Mac n Gs that he looks kind of like a Kyle Brodziak/Trevor Lewis-type, but not so sure about the shut down aspect. He doesn't defend all that well. He's gonna need to start being physical, too, in order to gain some sort of "pro" prowess.

If he makes Canada and shows that, then yes.... there could be some of that to his game and he could very well provide a team with a solid pro career. For all we know, Prince Albert could be using him completely different. But as of now, he seems a bit risky, to me, for a 1st round pick. I think the late 2nd is a good spot for him, ATM.

It'll be interesting to see how he pans out. You and I don't normally disagree on prospects all that much, so we'll see who ends up being right. ;)

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
To add to the WJC talk, here's a list of first year draft eligible players playing in the top junior tournament in a few weeks (barring roster moves)....

CANADA
C/RW: Raphael Lavoie (6'4"/198lbs., Shot: Right, Halifax/QMJHL (GP: 29, G: 14, A: 17, P: 31, PIM: 14, plus-11) )
LW: Alexis Lafreniere (6'1"/192lbs., Shot: Left, Rimouski/QMJHL (GP: 31, G: 17, A: 37, P: 54, PIM: 32, plus-30) ) *NOT DRAFT ELIGIBLE UNTIL 2020 DRAFT*

CZECH REPUBLIC
D: Hugo Has (6'4"/187lbs., Shot: Right, Tappara U20/Jr. A Liiga (GP: 23, G: 6, A: 3, P: 9, PIM: 18, plus-5) )
C/W: Petr Cajka (6'0"/168lbs., Shot: Left, Erie/OHL (GP: 30, G: 13, A: 9, P: 22, PIM: 6, E) )

DENMARK
G: Mads Sogaard (6'7"/190lbs., Catches: Left, Medicine Hat/WHL (GP: 17, GAA: 2.50, Sv%: .925) )
LW: Jonathan Brinkman (5'11"/161lbs., Shot: Left, Aalborg/Denmark (GP: 21, G: 1, A: 4, P: 5, PIM: 4, plus-2) )
LW: Magnus Carlsen (5'9"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Herlev/Denmark (GP: 21, G: 1, A: 3, P: 4, PIM: 6, minus-3) )
C: Gustav Green (5'11"/154lbs., Shot: Left, Rungsted/Denmark (GP: 21, G: 2, A: 3, P: 5, PIM: 16, plus-3) )
C/W: Maksim Popovic (5'11"/194lbs., Shot: Left, Herlev/Denmark (GP: 21, G: 1, A: 0, P: 1, PIM: 4, minus-14) ) *NOT DRAFT ELIGIBLE UNTIL 2020 DRAFT*

FINLAND
D: Ville Heinola (5'11"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Lukko/Liiga (GP: 23, G: 1, A: 5, P: 6, PIM: 18, plus-11) )
D: Mikko Kokkonen (5'11"/190lbs., Shot: Left, Jukurit/Liiga (GP: 26, G: 1, A: 10, P: 11, PIM: 10, minus-2) )
D: Lassi Thomson (6'0"/187lbs., Shot: Right, Kelowna/WHL (GP: 31, G: 7, A: 13, P: 20, PIM: 24, plus-4) )
RW: Kaapo Kakko (6'1"/181lbs., Shot: Left, TPS/Liiga (GP: 25, G: 7, A: 10, P: 17, PIM: 2, minus-1) )
C/LW: Anton Lundell (6'1"/181lbs., Shot: Left, HIFK/Liiga (GP: 20, G: 4, A: 6, P: 10, PIM: 6, plus-3) ) *NOT DRAFT ELIGIBLE UNTIL 2020 DRAFT*

KAZAKHSTAN
G: Vilen Prokofyev (5'9"/143lbs., Catches: Left, Snezhnye/MHL (NO AVAILABLE STATS) )
D: Artem Korolev (6'0"/163lbs., Shot: Left, Snezhnye/MHL (GP: 31, G: 0, A: 2, P: 2, PIM: 39, minus-12) )
D: David Muratov (6'2"/165lbs., Shot: Left, Snezhnye/MHL (GP: 25, G: 0, A: 3, P: 3, PIM: 6, minus-3) )
C/W: Oleg Boiko (5'9"/163lbs., Shot: Left, Snezhnye/MHL (GP: 38, G: 8, A: 6, P: 14, PIM: 24, plus-2) )
C/W: Dias Guseinov (6'0"/146lbs., Shot: Left, Snezhnye/MHL (GP: 26, G: 1, A: 6, P: 7, PIM: 12, minus-4) )
C/W: Maxim Musorov (5'10"/154lbs., Shot: Right, Snezhnye/MHL (GP: 38, G: 10, A: 6, P: 16, PIM: 18, minus-1) )
LW: Vladislav Saiko (5'10"/190lbs., Shot: Left, Snezhnye/MHL (GP: 10, G: 4, A: 1, P: 5, PIM: 10, plus-2) )

RUSSIA
NO FIRST YEAR DRAFT ELIGIBLES

SLOVAKIA
G: Samuel Hlavaj (6'2"/187lbs., Catches: Left, Team Slovakia U20/Slovakia (GP: 4, GAA: 5.95, Sv%: .861) )
D: Andrej Golian (6'3"/161lbs., Shot: Left, Team Slovakia U20/Slovakia (GP: 24, G: 1, A: 1, P: 2, PIM: 12, minus-24) )
C/W: Maxim Cajkovic (5'9"/187lbs., Shot: Right, Saint John/QMJHL (GP: 28, G: 6, A: 12, P: 18, PIM: 22, minus-20) )

SWEDEN
D: Philip Broberg (6'3"/198lbs., Shot: Left, AIK/Allsvenskan (GP: 26, G: 0, A: 7, P: 7, PIM: 4, E) )
LW: Nils Hoglander (5'9"/185lbs., Shot: Left, Rogle/SHL (GP: 25, G: 4, A: 3, P: 7, PIM: 18, minus-3) )

SWITZERLAND
D: David Aebischer (5'11"/183lbs., Shot: Right, Gatineau/QMJHL (GP: 30, G: 2, A: 7, P: 9, PIM: 17, E) )
C/W: Valentin Nussbaumer (6'0"/168lbs., Shot: Left, Shawinigan/QMJHL (GP: 30, G: 7, A: 11, P: 18, PIM: 6, minus-30) )
RW: Kyen Sopa (5'9"/190lbs., Shot: Right, Niagara/OHL (GP: 29, G: 11, A: 8, P: 19, PIM: 12, plus-9) )

USA
C: Jack Hughes (5'10"/168lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL (GP: 10, G: 1, A: 14, P: 15, PIM: 2, plus-2) )
G: Spencer Knight (6'3"/198lbs., Catches: Left, USNTDP/USHL (GP: 5, GAA: 2.24, Sv%: .924) ) *19/20 Boston College Comit*

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Not Dach?

Cozens could at least start out as a grinder. He's got that style of game that could keep pace right away. Think Dach would need to fill out more before joining the league. I wouldn't say Dach is too far off, though. He could very well make a 2019/2020 roster. There have been surprises before!!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
@Kovalev27 — On taking Spencer Knight with a 2nd 1st, I think you make a good point and I agree with you on the kids talent.

But I also think a huge part of any decision to draft a goalie in a top 3 round is how the kid is mentally and off the ice, and you will set the bar really really high when conducting those interviews.

From my POV like 50% is in place with his talent, I think the other 50% is hard for us to gauge.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I would be shocked if the Rangers didn't have at least 2 first rounders and three second rounders. I suspect they will have 4 second rounders and 2 first rounders if Tampa doesn't win the cup. I would hope the Rangers wll be ultra aggressive to trade up and get Kirby Dach which is exactly what they need. A big forward with high offensive upside that is a righty shot. The Rangers have neglected right shooting forwards for a long time. IMO, it absolutely kills the PP and makes it hard to score at even strength on a consistent basis. With their second first rounder I go Albin Grewe if he's there. Blazing fast, right handed shot. Third I go Shane Pinto. Plays a power forward game. In other words, I would go, power, speed and all right handed shots with 3 forwards with the first three picks. Enough of this Euro crap also. They are building a soft team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would be shocked if the Rangers didn't have at least 2 first rounders and three second rounders. I suspect they will have 4 second rounders and 2 first rounders if Tampa doesn't win the cup. I would hope the Rangers wll be ultra aggressive to trade up and get Kirby Dach which is exactly what they need. A big forward with high offensive upside that is a righty shot. The Rangers have neglected right shooting forwards for a long time. IMO, it absolutely kills the PP and makes it hard to score at even strength on a consistent basis. With their second first rounder I go Albin Grewe if he's there. Blazing fast, right handed shot. Third I go Shane Pinto. Plays a power forward game. In other words, I would go, power, speed and all right handed shots with 3 forwards with the first three picks. Enough of this Euro crap also. They are building a soft team.

:laugh:

Reactions: darko and Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad