Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Since 2009 the team has drafted one top six forward in Kreider. And one top four defencemen in Skjei who i'm still unsure about. How is that acceptable, thats terrible drafting.

Since 2009 WSH drafted 2 top-6 forwards and 1 top-4 defenseman
Since 2009 PIT drafted 1 top-6 forward and 1 top-4 defenseman
Since 2009 BOS drafted 2 top-6 forwards and 1 top-4 defenseman

How is that acceptable?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Duclair is barely an NHLer, Miller and Buchnevich havent proven to be consistent top six forwards

Miller's been the better part of three years, with us and Tampa.

We can say what we want about him, but it is what it is.

Buchnevich is certainly a top 6 prospect. Chytil and Andersson are in the mix.

But I don't think there's any way to ignore trading 4 consecutive firsts in that span, 4 second round picks, and 3 third round picks.

You're talking about trading no less than 11 picks in the top 90 since Kreider.

Reactions: Pizza

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think drafting since 2005 has been the challenge.

I think trading away so many picks was the challenge. It's not just the firsts, it's the seconds and the thirds too. With that kind of approach, you have to be either exceptionally good or exceptionally lucky to find enough higher-end prospects to keep the engine going.

I think the Rangers have done a good job of recouping assets from the 2016 and 2017 drafts, but there's still going to be a gap in the pipeline. You can't move that many picks in a given window and not have there be a gap. That's also why this is an important time period for the team.

Reactions: NYR Viper and Pizza

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Since 2009 the team has drafted one top six forward in Kreider. And one top four defencemen in Skjei who i'm still unsure about. How is that acceptable, thats terrible drafting.

You honestly have no idea what you’re talking about.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yep. Apparently a bunch of teams are high on the C and D positions over a scoring winger.

Kotkaniemi and Hayton are the potential disruptors, though I'd be a little cautious about hype train surrounding them right now.

I'm curious to see if there is a run on defenseman starting at the 4 spot, which is also something we've discussed on here in the past.

You have to figure Tkachuk is likely to be in the mix as well, so now you're trying to cram two forwards into a run on defenseman.

Let's assume it Kotkaniemi goes third.

You could very well have Dobson go 4th, Hughes 5th, and Bouchard 6th.

You'd end up with Boqvist, Zadina, Tkachuk and Wahlstrom all sitting there at 7. If Hayton is indeed a target of Chicago, you're looking at 3 of the 4 being on the board at 9.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Kotkaniemi and Hayton are the potential disruptors, though I'd be a little cautious about hype train surrounding them right now.

I'm curious to see if there is a run on defenseman starting at the 4 spot, which is also something we've discussed on here in the past.

You have to figure Tkachuk is likely to be in the mix as well, so now you're trying to cram two forwards into a run on defenseman.

You'd end up with Boqvist, Zadina, Tkachuk and Wahlstrom all sitting there at 7. If Hayton is indeed a target of Chicago, you're looking at 3 of the 4 being on the board at 9.
That is just too wild. I can't see it. I can't envision Zadina getting past Ottawa, and I also can't see Tkachuk not getting past say Vancouver.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Montreal: Kotkaniemi
Ottawa: Dobson
Arizona: Zadina
Detroit: Bouchard
Vancouver: Tkachuk/Hughes
Chicago: Hayton

That would be pretty ideal for the Rangers IMO.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, you could pick Hank in the 7th rd...

So what? That's not a frequent occurrence and then you go on to say that the NYR don't draft well... so my point stands.

Of course there are good/nice/sometimes even great players not in the top-3 or 5... but the odds are heavily there as opposed to anywhere else.

That is a two part answer for me

It would be about not worrying about being overly good next season so the lottery odds are with them

And it would be about trying to attain a sheer high quantity of picks for next draft

Two things that could go hand in hand.

Hope to get lucky, try harder to get lucky though decent scouting and just pure luck of having that many picks.

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018

If that happens I'm trading Hayes and spooner for 10 and lucic and grabbing two of those 4

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That is just too wild. I can't see it. I can't envision Zadina getting past Ottawa, and I also can't see Tkachuk not getting past say Vancouver.

I think the prevailing thought earlier was that Vancouver would take Brady because they regret passing on Matthew. While that makes for an interesting narrative, I don't know how true it is.

With that said, if Tkachuk is sitting there at 7, and Vancouver likes other players that have slipped and believe it can nab them two picks later, I thiiiiiink Gorton and Benning will be checking in with each other.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think the prevailing thought earlier was that Vancouver would take Brady because they regret passing on Matthew. While that makes for an interesting narrative, I don't know how true it is.

With that said, if Tkachuk is sitting there at 7, and Vancouver likes other players that have slipped and believe it can nab them two picks later, I thiiiiiink Gorton and Benning will be checking in with each other.
Ugh the irony of the Rangers sweeping western Canada trip to take them out of top 6 and then having to trade up to get their guy...

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX

The biggest issue isn't bad drafting. The problem is we didn't have first or even second rounders in about half of that time frame. In addition, thanks to making the playoffs, we didn't have any high picks. I think Miller went 15th and Skjei was near the bottom of the first round. The one year that we bungled a top pick was McIrath...when we all screamed for Tarasenko. Still hurts.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Chayka said on local radio he was willing to trade #7 last year because he didn't feel strongly about the players that would have been available to him. This year he is very comfortable that the Coyotes will get a premium player at #5. I got the impression listening to him is that the Coyotes may go defense because they have Hjalmarsson, Goligoski and Demers all getting older.

If the Coyotes had held the #7 pick last year, they would have taken Nick Suzuki (not from interview, learned this from contact)

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Man, wouldn't it be something if he fell to #9.

If Kotkaniemi and Hayton go in the top-8, along with Tkachuk, Dahlin and Svechnikov, that leaves 3 teams to possibly pick Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard. If Kravtsov goes top-8 then the chances go up again.
I see no way he falls all the way to 9, but if Zadina falls even to below 5, that changes things immensely for us. He'd be dropping not because of anything to do with him, just GMs prioritizing D and Centers. So Zadina and Tkachuk and Wahlstrom could all drop. If we had one of them available at 9 that would be great.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Because all three of those teams have won the cup since 09 and we have not. :cry:

It just proves that the draft, outside the top-10, is a crapshoot. Tampa who has not won a Cup, drafted Hedman, Drouin, Point and Kucherov since 2009. Arguably the best draft success since 2009, but 2 of those were drafted in the top-3. That makes it a lot easier. How about Toronto?

Top-6 forwards/top-4 D-men:
Kadri (7)
Rielly (5)
Nylander (8)
Marner (4)
Matthews (1)

It's easy to bitch about the Rangers not drafting top-6 forwards or top-4 D-men but there's more to the story.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Chayka said on local radio he was willing to trade #7 last year because he didn't feel strongly about the players that would have been available to him. This year he is very comfortable that the Coyotes will get a premium player at #5. I got the impression listening to him is that the Coyotes may go defense because they have Hjalmarsson, Goligoski and Demers all getting older.

If the Coyotes had held the #7 pick last year, they would have taken Nick Suzuki (not from interview, learned this from contact)

I think there's a good possibility that if Dobson goes 4th, Hughes and Bouchard go 5th and 6th (or vice-versa).

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

They kind of need Defense ... it makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad