Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
According to Bob McKenzie, multiple scouts have Zadina falling out of the top 5.

Man, wouldn't it be something if he fell to #9.

If Kotkaniemi and Hayton go in the top-8, along with Tkachuk, Dahlin and Svechnikov, that leaves 3 teams to possibly pick Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard. If Kravtsov goes top-8 then the chances go up again.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Only players ranked within reach at some places.

9: Hayton, Lundeström, Kupari (i'm not worried, we're not taking a C)

26/28: Groulx (lacks upside), Ginning (pylon)

Yeah if had any of those guys picked at 26/28 i would not be happy for sure. Maybe Grouix with the 48th pick. Just so many more guys with higher upside available

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Farabee is a nice prospect, Lias, Chytil, Howden, Hajek are also nice prospects.

However should they make the NHL and develop well, that group winning future playoff series against Ehlers, Connor, Laine, or Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly, I am not sure about that.
Sadly true.

I don't know how we get anything but "nice" though. Unless we bottom out completely next year or Gorts does something insane at the draft.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
I keep getting this feeling that Drury's comment about a player they really like being available at #9 was a reference to Kravtsov, not Farabee. My premonitions usually only come true in baseball, so we'll see what happens.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Sadly true.

I don't know how we get anything but "nice" though. Unless we bottom out completely next year or Gorts does something insane at the draft.

You do realize that you don't need to draft in the top 5 to get elite players. You just need good drafting which the rangers clearly do not have.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Really surprised there is so much talk about Hayton recently. I just don't see a top 10 pick here.
Teams get desperate. The 3rd pick is going to tell us everything we need to know about this draft. If Montreal goes full on asshattery and drafts Kotkaniemi, we are in for a wild ride. If they draft Zadina as many expected (not more than two weeks ago), then I think the top 10 will go relatively close to as expected.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Since 2009 the team has drafted one top six forward in Kreider. And one top four defencemen in Skjei who i'm still unsure about. How is that acceptable, thats terrible drafting.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Since 2009 the team has drafted one top six forward in Kreider. And one top four defencemen in Skjei who i'm still unsure about. How is that acceptable, thats terrible drafting.

Miller?

Then there is also Buchnevich and Duclair.

But this is what happens when you trade all of your draft picks. I'm not saying that I would have done it any differently, but I don't know what you were expecting.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

JT Miller, for all his flaws, has played as a top six forward in this league.

You're also forgetting that this team didn't have a first, and in some cases other picks, between 2013 and 2016.

And it's way too early to talk about 2017.

That changes the context quite a bit.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Miller?

Then there is also Buchnevich and Duclair.

But this is what happens when you trade all of your draft picks. I'm not saying that I would have done it any differently, but I don't know what you were expecting.

Duclair is barely an NHLer, Miller and Buchnevich havent proven to be consistent top six forwards

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You do realize that you don't need to draft in the top 5 to get elite players. You just need good drafting which the rangers clearly do not have.
Yeah, you could pick Hank in the 7th rd...

So what? That's not a frequent occurrence and then you go on to say that the NYR don't draft well... so my point stands.

Of course there are good/nice/sometimes even great players not in the top-3 or 5... but the odds are heavily there as opposed to anywhere else.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We need to turn that trend around and part of that is JG over Sather and also not trading first round picks like they were candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad