Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Is he falling or are teams not sold on him as the #3 or #4 player in the draft? I could see him outside of the top 10. Sliding maybe but I don't think he will fall, like into the teens.

Personally im liking the #9 more and more. There's going to be a great player available. I personally think it will be one of Bouchard, Boqvist or Farabee. Im hoping for Hughes or Wahlstrom though.
I think Hughes or Wahlstrom are game changers which is why I'm all for adding an asset to slide up and make sure I draft one of them.

Reactions: Alexei Kovalev 27

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is he falling or are teams not sold on him as the #3 or #4 player in the draft? I could see him outside of the top 10. Sliding maybe but I don't think he will fall, like into the teens.

Personally im liking the #9 more and more. There's going to be a great player available. I personally think it will be one of Bouchard, Boqvist or Farabee. Im hoping for Hughes or Wahlstrom though.

I think it's those concussion rumors. I'm just not sure anything's been truly substantiated though. And no, Pronmon doesn't count.

Reactions: Lion Hound

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I like Kotkaniemi, a lot. Although personally I am still not sure he's a first line center (which I talked about in another post).

Is he a good pick at 9? Yes.

Will here potentially be players still on the board that I like better? Probably.

Will he be gone before the Rangers pick? Maybe.

Would the Rangers trade up for him if they thought he wouldn't be on the board? Don't know, but my gut says no.

Depending on who is available at 9, I wouldn't dislike picking Kotkaniemi there as well. If someone like Wahlstrom or Dobson fall, in addition to him, then it would be a tough choice. And unless the FO really sees him as a true 1C, one of those two guys would likely be a better pick for us.

Agreed that I don't think we'd actually trade up for him, but I do think that he comes off the board before 9...just my gut feeling with teams like Montreal, Arizona, and Detroit sitting above us. Could also make a good case for why Vancouver or Chicago would select him too.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

They love their 200ft character players. With all the talk about how dead the room was, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see them go to the other extreme, we’ve seen them do this other times (from torts to AV, McIlrath because gaborik got jumped, etc.)

I don’t think they’ll take him, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it happens.

Reactions: Alexei Kovalev 27

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They love their 200ft character players. With all the talk about how dead the room was, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see them go to the other extreme, we’ve seen them do this other times (from torts to AV, McIlrath because gaborik got jumped, etc.)

I don’t think they’ll take him, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it happens.

Funny thing is that for all the talk on here, they only time it really impacted the first round of a recent draft was with Andersson.

Before that, the closest higher pick was maybe Stepan? Howden as part of a trade package?

I freely admit that I've never quite viewed the Rangers approach the same way as some other posters.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Funny thing is that for all the talk on here, they only time it really impacted the first round of a recent draft was with Andersson.

Before that, the closest higher pick was maybe Stepan? Howden as part of a trade package?

I freely admit that I've never quite viewed the Rangers approach the same way as some other posters.
It's more of a type of players that we have had in recent years on our roster than draft picks per say.

Reactions: GregSirico

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's more of a type of players that we have had in recent years on our roster than draft picks per say.

But even there, I'm not really sure that's accurate.

Any modern roster is going to have two-way guys, but I'm not sure Kreider, Miller, Zibanejad, Zucc, Buch, etc. quite fit the narrative of that being a distinct game plan.

I think Nash became viewed that way as his offense started to decrease, but the Rangers definitely brought him in with the expectation for him to be in the 40 goal/ 70 point range.

I just don't see a concerted effort that supports a fear that we head into these drafts looking for completeness at the cost of offensive ceiling.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Last night I dreamt that we rented out Kreider to the other teams in exchange for their first round picks this season, under the condition that he come back to the Rangers the following season. The bad news? He had a 100-goal season and refused to come back to the Rangers. The good news? We won the cup both seasons.

Anyone care to interpret?

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Last night I dreamt that we rented out Kreider to the other teams in exchange for their first round picks this season, under the condition that he come back to the Rangers the following season. The bad news? He had a 100-goal season and refused to come back to the Rangers. The good news? We won the cup both seasons.

Anyone care to interpret?
Maybe it existed in the same cinematic universe as my Merkley-Gilmour top pairing for the Rangers next year.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
26 and 28 are too hard for me to get too overly excited about since we don't know who's possibly on the board by that point or if we trade up/down, but the #9 is going to give me heart palpitations... For "fun", earlier today I was reading through last year's GDT for the draft and my heart was racing leading up to the Andersson pick, even though I knew the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad