Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I've seen so many Athletic links lately that seem like good reads. Not sure if it's because it is draft season/free agency coming up, but are the in season articles worthwhile to get a subscription?

Reactions: Mac n Gs

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I've seen so many Athletic links lately that seem like good reads. Not sure if it's because it is draft season/free agency coming up, but are the in season articles worthwhile to get a subscription?

It's 100% worth it. The prospect coverage is phenomenal plus you have must reads like LeBrun's columns. That's without even tapping into other sports you may be interested in.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It's worth it. I got it on a discount for the NY launch

Shayna writes amazing stuff the the Rangers.

Carp is fine for game reviews. His other writing is lackluster.

The other NHL writers are great though. LeBrun, Custance, Pronman, all have great stuff that comes out with some regularity

Reactions: Shattenhurts

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Cliffs for us non subscribers?
Lots of saying they're prepping for the draft. They're prepared to pick at places they don't necessarily have picks right now (and were similarly prepped last year), whether that's higher or lower.

Key point for me was they have a name they think they can get at 9. Which is a bit concerning to me, given how all over the board the top 10 is. Makes me think the name is Farabee.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
For sure. Lots of good reads in there imo. Less so Ranger specific, but in general for hockey. You can get discount codes to get it for like 40$ for the whole year if you look around.

Reactions: Shattenhurts

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lots of saying they're prepping for the draft. They're prepared to pick at places they don't necessarily have picks right now (and were similarly prepped last year), whether that's higher or lower.

Key point for me was they have a name they think they can get at 9. Which is a bit concerning to me, given how all over the board the top 10 is. Makes me think the name is Farabee.

Sounds like they're hell bent on moving up more than once.

I mean I didn't read the article, thats just my interpretation of what you said lol.

It may very well be Farabee whom would be a fine selection. I've had the feeling that they're hoping for
Kotaniemi

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Thanks everyone. Every now and then I see the subscription discounts pop up. Sounds worth it. Appreciate the feedback.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I just do not see the point of trading up when there is real chatter of reach picks. We will have a shot of pick from 3 or 4 consensus top 10 guys. Save the assets and just pick the gift we have sitting at 9.

And I understand the thought that Zadina might fall a few spots. But let's be realistic. Once Zadina drops, the team sitting there with him on the board isn't moving. Not without a ransom. After that, the value between the next group of prospects isn't big enough to trade up.

If the top 4 go Dahlen, Svechnikov, Kotkaneimi, Zadina, we are looking at a great pick. Wahlstrom, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist, Tkachuk. We are guarenteed a shot at 2 of them. If there's another reach, we pick from 3.

Don't over think it. Don't buy into some fantasy that Ottawa doesn't change the value of #4 when a surprise pick is made. There's enough smoke right now that teams will wait to see who is available before they trade down.
The only way to get Zadina is to trade before the draft starts with Montreal.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
A lot of praise for the Clark and the scouting staff. Quinn will be a good resource for them when asking about players for the draft. They're pretty confident about someone they can get at 9 though he obviously didn't disclose names. When asked about picking for need or BPA, he said it's always BPA.
That screams Farabee. Checks off all of Gordon’s boxes

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
If we can’t draft one of the top 4 (Dahlin,Svech,Zadina, Hughes) then Farabee is my next top choice. Screams a bigger version of Parise to me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Farabee probably doesn’t slide past 13.

I’ve beaten the Farabee argument to death, so I’ve cooled it in recent weeks. But I don’t think there’s any mystery he is my favorite prospect in this draft. I have him 8th and ahead of Bouchard, Dobson and Kotkaniemi. Though they are all pretty close in the same general tier for me.

Reactions: CaptBagel

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Farabee probably doesn’t slide past 13.

I’ve beaten the Farabee argument to death, so I’ve cooled it in recent weeks. But I don’t think there’s any mystery he is my favorite prospect in this draft. I have him 8th and ahead of Bouchard, Dobson and Kotkaniemi. Though they are all pretty close in the same general tier for me.
Honestly, you single handedly have prevented me from jumping off a cliff if we take him. Seems like a NYR pick as you've said, but it does look like he's a very solid prospect. I'm hoping for Dobson or Wahlstrom personally (not likely), but I'd be ok with him if we went off the board. I'm drinking, but this post is meant in the most positive way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad