Salary Cap: Dr StrangeDubas: "Defense sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid defense, Sully."

Will MAF go into the HHOF

• Total voters

Krimson

Oct 6, 2011
Yeah when Recchi got into the hall with nothing more than an all-star MVP as an individual award the Hall kind of got devalued to point of no return.
Yeah I’m going to disagree with this. Recchi is top 15 in scoring in the history of the league. Remember Cam Neely is in the HOF.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I like them PTOs. Just a bit sad Kiviranta didn't decide to sign one with us.

Pysyk has also played wing in the NHL.

Also Pysyk:

cut.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also re the Hall of Fame stuff -

a) Recchi got in after a bunch of guys without much individual hardware. Gilmour got in with only one Selke. Dino Ciccarelli was inducted with nothing at all. Ditto Mike Gartner. Joe Mullen was in with one All Star and two Byngs, if they even count. I'm not gonna go keep going back as I lack the ability to spot the obvious comparables by eye but I bet they keep going. Jacques Lemaire was inducted in 1984 with zero individual hardware. Being a long lived, very talented forward has been an in for a long time. Recchi didn't drop the standard. Not at all.

b) I strongly believe individual hardware shouldn't be considered the main method of working out who's in, as we are then held to some very bizarre choices as to who gets in. Let's say a forwards need to win a Hart or an Art Ross to be in - which, if we say All Star isn't enough, seems fair to me, as being an All Star right wing is probably worth more than a Selke or Byng, and the Conn Smythe is very capricious - then Brett Hull is in the Hall and Steve Yzerman isn't. That's whacky, that's a no. It's telling us Randy Carlyle should be in the Hall and Letang shouldn't - long lived Pens fans/history nerds, tell me if that sounds right to you.

c) This all assumes that a Hall of Fame is about being the very best, and not the most famous, which I don't think is necessarily so. Neither by name, nor by selection.

In the case of Mark Recchi, a guy drafted as an overager and who went on to be an All Star, Olympian, 100 point man, 22 year veteran, and three times cup winner... guy deserves to be pretty famous.

I get a lot of people think the Hall is too big. I think it contains about 3% of all NHLers to play, which strikes me as maybe too big too. But at the same time, I think we're doing the sport a disservice if we don't seek to remember the very good, the exciting, the odd stories, as well as the handful of absolutely dominant freaks and the guys lucky enough to squeeze out a trophy during their off-seasons.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Either guy is probably a better #7 than what we currently have.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Was wondering what happened to Pysyk, didn’t know he didn’t play last year due to injury. Analytic darling for forever.

Reactions: Jacob

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Yes. At some point you should be the best at what you do. It’s a Hall of Fame.

Not sure I agree. I turned around on this, honestly.

People often say it's the Hall of Fame, not Hall of Good. Well it's not the Hall of Absolute Greatest, either. Seems to me the Hall of Fame only suggests Fame as a standard.

I've come to think it's good for the league to include many star players in its historical quiltwork, even if they didn't claim any crowns in their time.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Also re the Hall of Fame stuff -

a) Recchi got in after a bunch of guys without much individual hardware. Gilmour got in with only one Selke. Dino Ciccarelli was inducted with nothing at all. Ditto Mike Gartner. Joe Mullen was in with one All Star and two Byngs, if they even count. I'm not gonna go keep going back as I lack the ability to spot the obvious comparables by eye but I bet they keep going. Jacques Lemaire was inducted in 1984 with zero individual hardware. Being a long lived, very talented forward has been an in for a long time. Recchi didn't drop the standard. Not at all.

b) I strongly believe individual hardware shouldn't be considered the main method of working out who's in, as we are then held to some very bizarre choices as to who gets in. Let's say a forwards need to win a Hart or an Art Ross to be in - which, if we say All Star isn't enough, seems fair to me, as being an All Star right wing is probably worth more than a Selke or Byng, and the Conn Smythe is very capricious - then Brett Hull is in the Hall and Steve Yzerman isn't. That's whacky, that's a no. It's telling us Randy Carlyle should be in the Hall and Letang shouldn't - long lived Pens fans/history nerds, tell me if that sounds right to you.

c) This all assumes that a Hall of Fame is about being the very best, and not the most famous, which I don't think is necessarily so. Neither by name, nor by selection.

In the case of Mark Recchi, a guy drafted as an overager and who went on to be an All Star, Olympian, 100 point man, 22 year veteran, and three times cup winner... guy deserves to be pretty famous.

I get a lot of people think the Hall is too big. I think it contains about 3% of all NHLers to play, which strikes me as maybe too big too. But at the same time, I think we're doing the sport a disservice if we don't seek to remember the very good, the exciting, the odd stories, as well as the handful of absolutely dominant freaks and the guys lucky enough to squeeze out a trophy during their off-seasons.
I don't understand why people use awards to say someone should get in or not, when the people who vote on these awards are not actually all that smart.

Not sure how anyone could complain about Recchi though. Those counting stats mean something. Not like he was Patrick Marleau out there, where his best stat for the HHOF is games played.

Reactions: Peat

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The majority of hockey media in general perpetuate love for him. Why not? He’s got a marketable personality and is one of the winningest goalies in history. The league should be doing that with more players, not less.

Don’t let anyone tell you about all the freaks that show up to games their Kunitz or Orpik or Jagr or Hornqvist or Lemieux jerseys. If you can believe it or not, those players aren’t even playing anymore and people still wear their shirts.
I saw a guy in Phoenix in a Francois Leroux jersey a few years back. One of those mid 90s 3rd sweaters with the horizontal stripe that fades yellow to gray. So bad it was good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad