Post-Game Talk: Dr. Drai, Hall find Kink(aid)s in the Devils

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I would put defence right up there with goaltending at this point. While Klefa is playing very well, and Nurse is improving, we still have a long way to go. Fayne remains a liability most times, and Reinhart is still getting his feet wet, as is Nurse and Davidson. Sekera is finally getting his head out of his arse, so that will help. But I bet Hamonic would help make our goaltending look a lot better if we added him.:D

Nurse is an automatic first pairing D to me. Probably an allstar D.

Klef may or may not be first pairing but would easily be a 3-4 D.

Thing is in 2 seasons you could play almost any D with Nurse and Nurse will find a way. He's going to be a dominating D in this league. For a longtime. We got our number 1, we have to wait a bit for it to develop. Biggest problem now is in goal. We don't have a playoff level goalie here yet. In two years Nurse will be an imposing D and we have a ton of offense on this club. I expect playoffs next season as does the org.
Lets not forget its going to be an electric feeling each night in the new barn. I think Edmonton becomes a very difficult place to play next season. This team, players, and org, are gearing up for that.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nurse is under rated and will be a great D in this league barring significant injury. I've been an Oiler fan for 44yrs and its VERY rare that you see a young D making this much of a splash. He's filthy talented, strong, skates great, punches cows, is already big. This guy has it all. As close to can't miss as it gets.

I would easily say that Nurse makes Sekera look better. Look at Sekera on the Hossa OT goal. A vet that doesn't even note whats going down. That a Hawk is RACING to the bench so that Hossa could race up ice. I'm still wondering how a pro vet with several years experience doesn't read whats going on there. Nuge was even pointing it out with his stick.

Sekera is oblivious defensively.

in 3 on 3 as the D the first thing is not to let anybody get behind you as you are obviously last man back.

letestu hasn't impressed me much from an offensive support perspective. he is also less physical than reported. he's getting beat for pucks more in WC play. I'll reserve judgement. I liked his play somewhat in first few weeks but less since.
I wouldn't call Sekera oblivious defensively.

For the most part he is good. But when he ****s up its huge. He is a flashy d man. Even his mistakes are flashy.

And on Letetsu I think his problem is he has been all over the lineup in places be shouldn't be. Being a 3 c is fine. Being stuck with AHL players and trying to carry defensively is not easy for him.

When he plays with Hendricks, Korpi or Klink he has looked much better.

What's your opinion on Korpi this year, I know you weren't a fan of the trade, but forgetting the trade what do you think of the player?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And how many times over the last 5 years have fans thought the oilers have turned thecorner when they haven't? Lots. And how mamt times have we seen a streaky player not carry it over for an extended period of time? Lots.
Not saying people shouldn't enjoy a good game, just don't plan the parade quite yet. At the moment they are visually better but still in last place.

I'm hoping the oilers will be .500 by xmas but tempering my excitement until the points come

My friend, I think its different this time. McDavid, Drai, Nurse, Klef, hell even Reinhart have been added to the mix.

Talbot will be better as well.

I like that we have Gryba too and some big physical D that we're rearing.

Drai of course has been the biggest revelation. We all knew McDavid and Nurse were going to be good.

The thing is right now this lineup, when healthy, will be so stacked you could have guys having off games indefinitely and still a deep contributing lineup.

You know, my biggest question would be about the tendency that this club tends to play just below the level of opppsition. in other words good against great teams and average against ordinary clubs.

last night was just another indication of something different going on. Really taking it to a team that the Oilers should beat. Of course we need to see if the club makes a habit of this but I'm impressed with how many good games in a row this team is playing under McLellan.

When was the last time this team played a bad game? Whens the last time I couldn't remember that. ;)

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Replacement and some other posters who don't typically buy into mindless optimism being on board with this group actually gets pretty me pretty excited.

Coming from someone who tends to buy in too easily it makes me think that things might actually be different this time.

This team is flat out better to watch than previous years. No doubt about it. Last year you could tell that the team didn't even belong on the ice against certain teams.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I wouldn't call Sekera oblivious defensively.

For the most part he is good. But when he ****s up its huge. He is a flashy d man. Even his mistakes are flashy.

And on Letetsu I think his problem is he has been all over the lineup in places be shouldn't be. Being a 3 c is fine. Being stuck with AHL players and trying to carry defensively is not easy for him.

When he plays with Hendricks, Korpi or Klink he has looked much better.

What's your opinion on Korpi this year, I know you weren't a fan of the trade, but forgetting the trade what do you think of the player?

Its too early with Korpi. I say this because his commitment has been questionable in recent seasons. This is a last stop in NHL for this player and so I could see him playing with some desperation. Unlike Hendricks this is not a player that exhibits the same consistent dedication. Klink is garbage fodder. Tbh I like Pakarinen. I think he needs more time and is a bright player that can bring a physical element. Some results will come.

If this guy develops more of an edge and better acceleration we could have a useful bottomsix player here.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Gryba and Reinhart both got bailed out several times last night. Anyone who wants them in the lineup over Sekera needs to stop watching hockey.

Is this not unfair to Reinhart. Give him the several years of NHL experience and being at prime age and its really hard to imagine him not being as good a D as Sekera (I mean defensively speaking)

If Reinhart only manages to be a stay at home D who helps clear traffic and brings his bad humor I'm fine with that. I see a kid that goes toe to toe for Toews. I like the mean component that the Young Reinhart has in his game. Obviously Nurse is going to be the most punishing D going forward but I see Reinhart having it in his game as well. You need that in WC play. Sekera is too suited for EC play. He gets stripped and loses a lot of puck battles playing against stronger WC forechecks.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
And how many times over the last 5 years have fans thought the oilers have turned thecorner when they haven't? Lots. And how mamt times have we seen a streaky player not carry it over for an extended period of time? Lots.
Not saying people shouldn't enjoy a good game, just don't plan the parade quite yet. At the moment they are visually better but still in last place.

I'm hoping the oilers will be .500 by xmas but tempering my excitement until the points come

Nobody's planning a parade, and it's okay to be happy about the team playing better. The structure is there now, the team is battling every game, D coverage is much improved; all good signs. Need upgrades on D, yes. Need some bottom 6 scoring, yes. Goaltending is still struggling, yes. But I feel much better with Chia here - I have confidence he won't piss away assets like MacT did.

And FWIW, I don't recall at any point in the pat 5 years fans thinking we've turned the corner. It was off season hope followed by 6 months of drinking bleach... every year. For 10 years.

Not planning a parade, just pointing to the clear areas of improvement and enjoying a win.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Is this not unfair to Reinhart. Give him the several years of NHL experience and being at prime age and its really hard to imagine him not being as good a D as Sekera (I mean defensively speaking)

If Reinhart only manages to be a stay at home D who helps clear traffic and brings his bad humor I'm fine with that. I see a kid that goes toe to toe for Toews. I like the mean component that the Young Reinhart has in his game. Obviously Nurse is going to be the most punishing D going forward but I see Reinhart having it in his game as well. You need that in WC play. Sekera is too suited for EC play. He gets stripped and loses a lot of puck battles playing against stronger WC forechecks.

I see a kid who's too slow for the NHL. Several years of NHL experience will just be several years of players skating by him or chipping it past him and easily beating him to the corner.

The rumors were true. Pylons are pylons regardless of their hockey IQ.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I also think Reinhart would benefit from playing with a vet instead of Davidson or even Gryba.

Give him someone to show him the ropes, maybe even Fayne.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I see a kid who's too slow for the NHL. Several years of NHL experience will just be several years of players skating by him.
Draisaitl fixed his skating in an off season. Funny you seem to think Reinhart cant improve it in several years.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Drai would be leading the scoring race if he was up with the team all year. How amazing would that be?

Drai has way more pts than Nuge in half the games. lmao

He is also tied with Ovechkin for points, having played 7 less games than him..

Of the top 50 points leaders, his shooting percentage is first in the league at 35.0% Mcdavid was at 20.8.. Kane is 17.6..

K0uBW4f.png

These numbers are pretty impressive....
K0uBW4f.png

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Some of the Sekera comments are utterly laughable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I really have to question the hockey knowledge of some of the posters on here.
Oblivious defensively? :laugh:

In any event good to see the boys win a game by extending their lead instead of losing it and coming back or playing from behind.

I thought the team played a much sloppier game than the one against the Hawks. I hope they aren't satisfied with their performance despite the win.

Now...time to make hay on an Eastern road trip. If this team really is starting to turn the corner then results must happen on this road trip.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Draisaitl fixed his skating in an off season. Funny you seem to think Reinhart cant improve it in several years.

The difference being that Draisaitl was never as bad a skater as people thought. His improvements thus far probably have more to do with motivation/intensity than ability.

Reinhart's skating is a bigger issue, and has been for a longer time. He still hasn't fixed it.

I won't rule out the possibility of him being sick right now, though; last night was the slowest I've seen him.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If Nuge for Jones comes up, I'd be the first to drive him to the airport.

I think this needs to happen . Then Maybe Yakupov and Landers to Montreal for Eller , I know Oilers fans don't like him much but he better then Landers . There would also have to be a ++ for the Oilers to consider it . Maybe we lose the better player but we add depth to the bottom 6 which also wins games for you .

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think this needs to happen . Then Maybe Yakupov and Landers to Montreal for Eller , I know Oilers fans don't like him much but he better then Landers . There would also have to be a ++ for the Oilers to consider it . Maybe we lose the better player but we add depth to the bottom 6 which also wins games for you .

If this happens (trading RNH) before the end of this season then I will personally drive Chiarelli to the airport with a one way ticket stapled to his ass. :D

Having your 2 top centres with as little experience as McDavid and Draisaitl is something a very inexperienced GM does. :help:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
In the sage words of Yosemite Sam, 'Whoaaaa, whoa mule whoa! whoaaaa a mule!!!!'

People projection Drai to continue on with this pace. Nurse is now a #1 all star man before long, the oilers are going to be unstoppable when they get mcdavid back, we can now trade RNH!

Let's resign Purcell.

Holy free holy. One win over a suspect team and the sun is really shining.

Drai will not keep up the pace, if anything other teams will take notice and start doing the **** down rough up routine on him.

We can get excited when we actually win 3 or 4 in a row rather than a win followed by a dog game and then 3 close losses.

Even thinking about trading RNH would be crazy, we have just invested time and effort to make him a valued complete center and each year there are injuries. Teams are not trading high end #1 Dmen.

Calm down folks.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
If this happens (trading RNH) before the end of this season then I will personally drive Chiarelli to the airport with a one way ticket stapled to his ass. :D

Having your 2 top centres with as little experience as McDavid and Draisaitl is something a very inexperienced GM does. :help:

Completely agree. It's nice having some depth at C, but this team needs RNH for the next few years min to let Drai and McDavid continue to develop in a good situation. Then you can look at options, but that time is not now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Completely agree. It's nice having some depth at C, but this team needs RNH for the next few years min to let Drai and McDavid continue to develop in a good situation. Then you can look at options, but that time is not now.

100%.

That would be the smart way to approach things. Retain as much centre depth as you can until the younger players have the experience to shoulder the load.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
As long as McDavid and Draisaitl are cost controlled, there's no harm in paying RNH $6M.

I agree that it would be hasty to move him right away, but I also still think he'll be gone within 2 years.

Of course the dream scenario is having Nurse/Klef ascend to the heavens, signing one more big name in the summer, and going into the playoffs next year with a 1-2-3 of McDavid-Drai-RNH... but I don't have much faith in those stars aligning.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Drai will not keep up the pace, if anything other teams will take notice and start doing the **** down rough up routine on him.

And yet Kane and Seguin will keep scoring at the paces they are currently right? Because other teams haven't noticed them yet, scouted them, or roughed them up yet.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And yet Kane and Seguin will keep scoring at the paces they are currently right? Because other teams haven't noticed them yet, scouted them, or roughed them up yet.

The players you mentioned have proven they have been in the group of top scorers in the past. They also dont have unsustainable stats to maintain.
Do you honestly believe that Drai will continue to score on over 30% of his shots and maintain a 1.60 ppg pace?

McDeathbyCheerios*

The players you mentioned have proven they have been in the group of top scorers in the past. They also dont have unsustainable stats to maintain.
Do you honestly believe that Drai will continue to score on over 30% of his shots and maintain a 1.60 ppg pace?
Drai hasn't taken many shots this season. Even if his shooting percentage goes up he can start shooting more. No one thinks he will maintain the pace but at the same time, he absolutely could.

McDeathbyCheerios*

In the sage words of Yosemite Sam, 'Whoaaaa, whoa mule whoa! whoaaaa a mule!!!!'

People projection Drai to continue on with this pace. Nurse is now a #1 all star man before long, the oilers are going to be unstoppable when they get mcdavid back, we can now trade RNH!

Let's resign Purcell.

Holy free holy. One win over a suspect team and the sun is really shining.

We can get excited when we actually win 3 or 4 in a row rather than a win followed by a dog game and then 3 close losses.

Even thinking about trading RNH would be crazy, we have just invested time and effort to make him a valued complete center and each year there are injuries. Teams are not trading high end #1 Dmen.

Calm down folks.
No one is predicting Drai will continue his pace, just saying it would be insane that he could as he is playing extremely well.

The people talking about resigning Purcell have all said that if Purcell keeps playing very well for most of the season, we would be stupid not to resign him.

And if you think teams haven't taken notice of a young center leading the league in PPG you are out to lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad