Post-Game Talk: Dr. Drai, Hall find Kink(aid)s in the Devils

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Anyone else concerned our defense looked substantially better without Sekera in the lineup?

It didn't. Our defence outside of Fayne and Klefbom IMO looked slow to the puck in the defensive zone 5v5.

Just my opinion but I think the Devils just aren't that good a team or were having an off night cause our D, while limiting shots, gave up some seriously dangerous scoring chances.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Anyone else concerned our defense looked substantially better without Sekera in the lineup?

The Devils aren't exactly a difficult team to contain offensively. Plus the amount of powerplays skew some things.

Even if the Oilers are garbage on the powerplay, which they definitely were at times, it's still way better than being hemmed in their own zone 5-on-5 so it's not any real inditement of Sekera.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Darling was unbelievable though. Made about 5 incredible stops in the OT alone. Doubt very much if Crawford could have played any better.

Just saying that clubs typically play their #1 against teams they expect to be a bigger challenge and the backups in the weaker contest. Really without Crawford standing on his head against Oilers we win that game going away. We were by far the better team in the game.

Hawks have a lot of moments where it looks like they just can't match intensity. Stanley Cup hangover.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just saying that clubs typically play their #1 against teams they expect to be a bigger challenge and the backups in the weaker contest. Really without Crawford standing on his head against Oilers we win that game going away. We were by far the better team in the game.

Hawks have a lot of moments where it looks like they just can't match intensity. Stanley Cup hangover.

Well it also might be hard to get up for games against afterthoughts like the two Alberta teams...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hell I predicted it. Sekera on his own is good for about 1 extra GA/Game. just been atrocious defensively this season.

Don't say that. The Sekera fans are going to jump you.

I've been saying this since the first month. He's not worth his contact. We can't have guys making that much playing like a #5D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well it also might be hard to get up for games against afterthoughts like the two Alberta teams...

Of the two the Hawks would be intelligent enough to realize which one of those clubs is a serious future contender.

The Hawks have respect for this Oilers team. You could see that from Keith in the broadcast interview as well.

They no high flying talent when they see it. The scary thing is a lot of the goals the Oilers are scoring lately are off sensational plays. Plays that are hard to stop. The Hall-Draisaitl connection for instance being premier. The Oilers are turning heads.

The standings are pretty much an illusion at this point.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Devils played Schneider against the Flames and a no name against us.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Of the two the Hawks would be intelligent enough to realize which one of those clubs is a serious future contender.

The Hawks have respect for this Oilers team. You could see that from Keith in the broadcast interview as well.

They no high flying talent when they see it. The scary thing is a lot of the goals the Oilers are scoring lately are off sensational plays. Plays that are hard to stop. The Hall-Draisaitl connection for instance being premier. The Oilers are turning heads.

It is kinda scary though that they got 3 out of 4 points with minimal effort in both games...

I hope we can be as good as them someday. It seems so faraway after certain games though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Oilers are playing well, but let's give this some perspective. The Hawks the last few years have been a good club in the regular season, not a great one. They, like the Oilers of the '80's have learned to scale it back and save lots of gas for the playoffs. Doesn't mean they weren't trying, just that they are able to crank it up seemingly at will in the most important situations. If it was a playoff game, or a meaningful one late in the year, it would really hold some serious weight. But again, I like the way we're playing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Devils played Schneider against the Flames and a no name against us.

Chalk it up to the low level quality of NHL scouting and attention to detail. The Devils frankly looked surprised that the Oilers were the better team all night. Something they shouldn't be surprised at at all. We've been playing even with teams like the LA Kings and Chicago Black Hawks. The Oilers were going to kick the Devils in the nads in this one. Easy prediction.

That the Devils started Kinkaid in this one basically means they were looking at scores and not paying attention.

The hawks know the Oilers better and know we've played them hard this year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oilers are playing well, but let's give this some perspective. The Hawks the last few years have been a good club in the regular season, not a great one. They, like the Oilers of the '80's have learned to scale it back and save lots of gas for the playoffs. Doesn't mean they weren't trying, just that they are able to crank it up seemingly at will in the most important situations. If it was a playoff game, or a meaningful one late in the year, it would really hold some serious weight. But again, I like the way we're playing.

This is the Oilers level of play WITHOUT McDavid, with Eberle not 100% yet, with half the team recovering from the flu, and with Yak not on. This is the Oilers with substandard goaltending.

Right now with additions of Nurse, Klefbom, Drai, McDavid this team is brimming with talent from what it was. Players hitting the ground running.

I'm known for being pessimistic but its easily discerned that this club has a bright future. The Oilers would have to be making cluster**** trades at this point to prevent this team from becoming a winning club by this season or next. In two years we give the Hawks all they can handle be it playoffs or regular season. I bet they realize it.

I think as Oiler fans we've been down so long its perhaps harder to see success for this group of players is in the offing. We have the nucleus here of a good team. We even have good to great D that we're raising now. The question continues to be in goal. We're getting solid everywhere else.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Don't say that. The Sekera fans are going to jump you.

I've been saying this since the first month. He's not worth his contact. We can't have guys making that much playing like a #5D

To be fair-- a few of us were not happy that so many people thought Sekera would answer many of our problems on the D

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
This is the Oilers level of play WITHOUT McDavid, with Eberle not 100% yet, with half the team recovering from the flu, and with Yak not on. This is the Oilers with substandard goaltending.

Right now with additions of Nurse, Klefbom, Drai, McDavid this team is brimming with talent from what it was. Players hitting the ground running.

I'm known for being pessimistic but its easily discerned that this club has a bright future. The Oilers would have to be making cluster**** trades at this point to prevent this team from becoming a winning club by this season or next. In two years we give the Hawks all they can handle be it playoffs or regular season. I bet they realize it.

I think as Oiler fans we've been down so long its perhaps harder to see success for this group of players is in the offing. We have the nucleus here of a good team. We even have good to great D that we're raising now. The question continues to be in goal. We're getting solid everywhere else.

Replacement has been a huge positive voice for several games now. It's weird for me, but he's a smart poster, which means that the Oilers must have really impressed him!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
To be fair-- a few of us were not happy that so many people thought Sekera would answer many of our problems on the D

Its interesting to note, and I predicted it, that the several players Chia had brought in for this season have not really been improvements. Of these only arguably Gryba has made much of a positive contribution (and this debateable as well.

When we look at the improvements of this club its due to Nurse, Klefbom, Drai, McDavid, even Purcell, Pouliot.

Its striking actually how little Chia's additions have panned out. If his moves were any good we would have had better help by now.

I DO Think Talbot will be useful but I'm not convinced he's our #1 going forward.

Last edited:

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011

Who the **** is this guy :loony::loony::loony:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Its interesting to note, and I predicted it, that the several players Chia had brought in for this season have not really been improvements. Of these only arguably Gryba has made much of a positive contribution (and this debateable as well.

When we look at the improvements of this club its due to Nurse, Klefbom, Drai, McDavid,

Its striking actually how little Chia's additions have panned out.

The bar was low with ference, scrivens, Fasth. Pouliot is good.

Personally I think sekera is a big part of the team. Not exactly a game breaking player but a veteran presence to add some consistancy without being a total subtraction skillwise.

McDeathbyCheerios*

When we look at the improvements of this club its due to Nurse, Klefbom, Drai, McDavid, even Purcell, Pouliot.

Its striking actually how little Chia's additions have panned out. If his moves were any good we would have had better help by now.

I DO Think Talbot will be useful but I'm not convinced he's our #1 going forward.
Since Sekera got paired with Nurse i feel like they work off each other well. He still has a few brain farts but his puck movement is stellar. Once he understands his team mates a little better I think he will be very good for us. By the end of the season we will like him more and he will be fine next year.

Korpikoski is hard to tell due to his injury and his brain fart last night but I think he has been better then he was in Arizona. Fast, tenacious and strong on the puck.

Letetsu has been good on faceoffs, pretty decent on the pk and has been getting a crazy amount of chances, sadly he hasn't been able to score and seems snake bitten. I'm just glad he is getting chances.

Talbot has been worse then I thought but I almost feel like he is getting used to the team in front of him as he gotten so used to the Rangers

Nilsson, I know you aren't a fan of but without the huge defensive lapses I think he is good. It seems like when the d has huge brainfarts he does too at the same time. That being said, he is only making 1 mill, we got him for a nothing prospect and if Talbot was playing better Nilsson would be good for a backup.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I would put defence right up there with goaltending at this point. While Klefa is playing very well, and Nurse is improving, we still have a long way to go. Fayne remains a liability most times, and Reinhart is still getting his feet wet, as is Nurse and Davidson. Sekera is finally getting his head out of his arse, so that will help. But I bet Hamonic would help make our goaltending look a lot better if we added him.:D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Since Sekera got paired with Nurse i feel like they work off each other well. He still has a few brain farts but his puck movement is stellar. Once he understands his team mates a little better I think he will be very good for us. By the end of the season we will like him more and he will be fine next year.

Korpikoski is hard to tell due to his injury and his brain fart last night but I think he has been better then he was in Arizona. Fast, tenacious and strong on the puck.

Letetsu has been good on faceoffs, pretty decent on the pk and has been getting a crazy amount of chances, sadly he hasn't been able to score and seems snake bitten. I'm just glad he is getting chances.

Talbot has been worse then I thought but I almost feel like he is getting used to the team in front of him as he gotten so used to the Rangers

Nilsson, I know you aren't a fan of but without the huge defensive lapses I think he is good. It seems like when the d has huge brainfarts he does too at the same time. That being said, he is only making 1 mill, we got him for a nothing prospect and if Talbot was playing better Nilsson would be good for a backup.

Nurse is under rated and will be a great D in this league barring significant injury. I've been an Oiler fan for 44yrs and its VERY rare that you see a young D making this much of a splash. He's filthy talented, strong, skates great, punches cows, is already big. This guy has it all. As close to can't miss as it gets.

I would easily say that Nurse makes Sekera look better. Look at Sekera on the Hossa OT goal. A vet that doesn't even note whats going down. That a Hawk is RACING to the bench so that Hossa could race up ice. I'm still wondering how a pro vet with several years experience doesn't read whats going on there. Nuge was even pointing it out with his stick.

Sekera is oblivious defensively.

in 3 on 3 as the D the first thing is not to let anybody get behind you as you are obviously last man back.

letestu hasn't impressed me much from an offensive support perspective. he is also less physical than reported. he's getting beat for pucks more in WC play. I'll reserve judgement. I liked his play somewhat in first few weeks but less since.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I hate comments like this. Cheering for a team in last place is nothing new to Oil fans. We're not idiots. We all look at the standings. Im not sure why you think 'tempering our expectations' aka being a buzzkill after a win is something we need.

I knew the first 20 games of this schedule was going to be absolutely brutal, and I wish we could have squeeked out a few more wins, but I'm really happy with how they are playing. Completely different team than I've been watching for the last 10 years. This east road trip is going to be huge. I think we can go on a big run here and come back over .500. Lots of winnable games and they've been showing a lot of heart.

And how many times over the last 5 years have fans thought the oilers have turned thecorner when they haven't? Lots. And how mamt times have we seen a streaky player not carry it over for an extended period of time? Lots.
Not saying people shouldn't enjoy a good game, just don't plan the parade quite yet. At the moment they are visually better but still in last place.

I'm hoping the oilers will be .500 by xmas but tempering my excitement until the points come

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad