Post-Game Talk: Dr. Drai, Hall find Kink(aid)s in the Devils

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Is he getting a lot of press in Germany?

A little more than any other German player ever has at least during regular season. Maybe Marco Sturm in his best years came close and of course Seidenberg got a fair bit of press during the Stanley Cup run with the Bruins.
But it's not like he is on the news on regular television. There have been a few articles in papers that don't usually cover hockey which is quite remarkable, but you will find a similar amount of press about 3rd tier or youth soccer players as you will find about Draisaitl.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I can appreciate the excitement of the oilers playing better, and not just visually. But i can't get too excited until it actually translates to points.
Last place is last place.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This must have been a performance that lived up to the score, huh. I haven't seen so much positivity here in a long time!

Sucks that I didn't get it on TV here :(. Hopefully they keep it rolling.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This must have been a performance that lived up to the score, huh. I haven't seen so much positivity here in a long time!

Sucks that I didn't get it on TV here :(. Hopefully they keep it rolling.

Considering Draisaitl is one of the best players in the league right now, it's an exciting time to be an Oilers fan.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
A little more than any other German player ever has at least during regular season. Maybe Marco Sturm in his best years came close and of course Seidenberg got a fair bit of press during the Stanley Cup run with the Bruins.
But it's not like he is on the news on regular television. There have been a few articles in papers that don't usually cover hockey which is quite remarkable, but you will find a similar amount of press about 3rd tier or youth soccer players as you will find about Draisaitl.

Yes, Germany is really a football loving country. Hockey is way down the list.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can appreciate the excitement of the oilers playing better, and not just visually. But i can't get too excited until it actually translates to points.

That's the bad news. But the good news is that we're only 6 points out of a playoff spot. And usually when you're playing good and losing on a a few miscues and breaks, if you clean those up, the wins will start coming. I see wins starting to come, on a more regular basis. Not because I have blue and orange tinged glasses on, but because my eyes alone tell me we're getting close. If we were getting points, and fluking off while getting outplayed, I would be less bullish. But with good play will eventually come good results. It's more sustainable in the long run and a truer indication.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Draisaitl will be a celeb in Germany if he's a perennial all-star in the NHL. He'll need to be that great to get attention, Germany is Football obsessed. Hockey registers way below F1 and Tennis too.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think we need to mention fayne again.

He wasn't the only d that made plays but if I remember he stripped cammalleri who would have had a chance in close on an unprepared nilsson early in the game

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton

I hate comments like this. Cheering for a team in last place is nothing new to Oil fans. We're not idiots. We all look at the standings. Im not sure why you think 'tempering our expectations' aka being a buzzkill after a win is something we need.

I knew the first 20 games of this schedule was going to be absolutely brutal, and I wish we could have squeeked out a few more wins, but I'm really happy with how they are playing. Completely different team than I've been watching for the last 10 years. This east road trip is going to be huge. I think we can go on a big run here and come back over .500. Lots of winnable games and they've been showing a lot of heart.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I hate comments like this. Cheering for a team in last place is nothing new to Oil fans. We're not idiots. We all look at the standings. Im not sure why you think 'tempering our expectations' aka being a buzzkill after a win is something we need.

I knew the first 20 games of this schedule was going to be absolutely brutal, and I wish we could have squeeked out a few more wins, but I'm really happy with how they are playing. Completely different team than I've been watching for the last 10 years. This east road trip is going to be huge. I think we can go on a big run here and come back over .500. Lots of winnable games and they've been showing a lot of heart.
All but what, 1 or 2 of our losses have been against the top 10 teams in the league?

The majority of the losses were 1 goal games or 2 goal games with empty nets?

We have an easy next few weeks and could easily be 0.500+ by the end of December

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I think we need to mention fayne again.

He wasn't the only d that made plays but if I remember he stripped cammalleri who would have had a chance in close on an unprepared nilsson early in the game

Fayne looked excellent. Nurse looked excellent. Eastern Conference teams are going to make this defense look great. These guys need to learn to step it up against the West.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Considering Draisaitl is one of the best players in the league right now, it's an exciting time to be an Oilers fan.

Anyone else getting sick of the sports analysts drooling over the Flames OT win last night? Last I checked the oilers won by a much greater margin. What a romance. Maybe I have to switch stations.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Anyone else getting sick of the sports analysts drooling over the Flames OT win last night? Last I checked the oilers won by a much greater margin. What a romance. Maybe I have to switch stations.
Cause an OT win is more impressive then a 5-1 stomp with Hall and Drai having a combined 33 points in 10 games.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Cause an OT win is more impressive then a 5-1 stomp with Hall and Drai having a combined 33 points in 10 games.

That's exactly what I mean - there are other way more impressive things to talk about. Most of these guys will be quite disappointed once the Oilers crawl out of this. :)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The best thing about that game was the Flames OT celebration. Every time they win in OT they jump around like they won the Cup.

They have, what, 3 regulation wins? Man if it wasn't for 3-on-3 they'd be 30th. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Hawks haven't been very good on this road trip and again just not matching intensity. These are BS efforts by them. They got outshot 20-4 in the 3rd period and OT combined.

What on Earth is Seabrook doing on that play? My lord. :amazed:

Half the time you see Gaudreau scoring its because of an out of this world miscue like that. Its almost funny how this pint sized runt gives players the jitters. Geez, when in doubt just physically control him. To not play the puck or Gaudreau on that play is priceless. Why even be on the ice..:shakehead

lol that we got the excellent Crawford, and Calgary gets Darling. Kind of tells you what the Hawks think about the respective opposition.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Anyone else think that when the team is healthy, the only ones who should be running the PP are Drai and McDavid? Drai with Hall on the 1st unit and McDavid on the 2nd unit. I think the reason our PP isn't good because the league has figured out RNH and he's not adjusting to it

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hawks haven't been very good on this road trip and again just not matching intensity. These are BS efforts by them. They got outshot 20-4 in the 3rd period and OT combined.

What on Earth is Seabrook doing on that play? My lord. :amazed:

Half the time you see Gaudreau scoring its because of an out of this world miscue like that. Its almost funny how this pint sized runt gives players the jitters. Geez, when in doubt just physically control him. To not play the puck or Gaudreau on that play is priceless. Why even be on the ice..:shakehead

lol that we got the excellent Crawford, and Calgary gets Darling. Kind of tells you what the Hawks think about the respective opposition.

And the game before, the Devils rolled out Schneider against the Flames and we got some dude I've never heard of.

Darling was unbelievable though. Made about 5 incredible stops in the OT alone. Doubt very much if Crawford could have played any better.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Likely because they beat the defending SC champs and we beat.....the Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad