Post-Game Talk: Dr. Drai, Hall find Kink(aid)s in the Devils

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Replacement and some other posters who don't typically buy into mindless optimism being on board with this group actually gets pretty me pretty excited.

Coming from someone who tends to buy in too easily it makes me think that things might actually be different this time.

This team is flat out better to watch than previous years. No doubt about it. Last year you could tell that the team didn't even belong on the ice against certain teams.

Are you really that pretty?

logo-such-a-pretty-me.png

:D Sorry. I could not resist.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
He is also tied with Ovechkin for points, having played 7 less games than him..

Of the top 50 points leaders, his shooting percentage is first in the league at 35.0% Mcdavid was at 20.8.. Kane is 17.6..

K0uBW4f.png

These numbers are pretty impressive....
K0uBW4f.png

That shooting percentage, so insane, it looks like a typo.

35%??!?!?!? incredible.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That shooting percentage, so insane, it looks like a typo.

35%??!?!?!? incredible.
He doesn't shoot a lot, more of a passer. Seems like he is one of those guys who only shoots if he sees an opening and if he doesn't, he passes it.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
He hasn't been shooting. His goals have come in close, tap ins and such. He's bound to hit a wall at some point, but hopefully by then he starts using some other parts of his arsenal in terms of shooting and playmaking that keep his shooting % at a sustainable plateau. Eventually he's going to have to start shooting.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
In the sage words of Yosemite Sam, 'Whoaaaa, whoa mule whoa! whoaaaa a mule!!!!'

People projection Drai to continue on with this pace. Nurse is now a #1 all star man before long, the oilers are going to be unstoppable when they get mcdavid back, we can now trade RNH!

Let's resign Purcell.

Holy free holy. One win over a suspect team and the sun is really shining.

Drai will not keep up the pace, if anything other teams will take notice and start doing the **** down rough up routine on him.

We can get excited when we actually win 3 or 4 in a row rather than a win followed by a dog game and then 3 close losses.

Even thinking about trading RNH would be crazy, we have just invested time and effort to make him a valued complete center and each year there are injuries. Teams are not trading high end #1 Dmen.

Calm down folks.

Why?

Draisaitl is looking legit, nothing wrong with being optimistic about what looks to be a true star player in the making. I know that this little ray of sunshine through your raincloud view of the oilers is disturbing to you, but how about you let the rest of us enjoy this instead of constantly raining on anything positive regarding the oilers.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Why?

Draisaitl is looking legit, nothing wrong with being optimistic about what looks to be a true star player in the making. I know that this little ray of sunshine through your raincloud view of the oilers is disturbing to you, but how about you let the rest of us enjoy this instead of constantly raining on anything positive regarding the oilers.

Optimism is much encouraged, but there is a difference between being happy and optimistic and going overboard, which some people are doing. It's been way too short a stretch to declare its all set and on a straight. While they've been more competitive, the team is coming off a long losing streak and is still at the bottom of the league (again, knowing they aren't the worst in the league...) and it's inevitable Draisaitl will hit a wall at some point, and I do anticipate RNH will begin to score more. He was all over the place last night and badly wanted to score, you could tell.

Need to keep this group together and juggle pieces as hiccups and injuries happen.

And if you haven't noticed a vast majority of us, especially the *extreme* pessimists/realists have been coming around ALOT more lately in terms of being positive. Has more to do with the way the team's performing rather than empty rah-rah cheering the boys on. They've actually been playing good so the hopeful comments are warranted.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nuge has 15 points in 19 games and is a +3 on a minus team. Seriously everyone is wanting to drive him to the airport for putting up a 65 point pace while playing solid two way hockey with tough compitition?

Shiny new toy syndrome

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Nuge has 15 points in 19 games and is a +3 on a minus team. Seriously everyone is wanting to drive him to the airport for putting up a 65 point pace while playing solid two way hockey with tough compitition?

Shiny new toy syndrome

On top of all that, what's wrong with having some C depth? Trading RNH is just plain dumb right now.

Hall-RNH-Draisaitl

....should be the #1 line after McDavid gets back. Draisaitl has already shown he can play RW effectively, we already know that injuries kill this team when we don't have depth.

IMO, Draisaitl's emergence is putting pressure on Eberle and Yak not RNH.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nuge & Schultz for Hamonic and Okposo? Would u do it

Okposo is a UFA he is going to look to get paid more then RNH . We are better to bite the bullet and swap RNH straight up for Jones . Jones not a #1 D yet but he is a RHD with the skill and upside to become a #1D .

Nurse Jones
Sekera Klefbom
Reinhart Fayne
Gryba

Does look too bad and it they reach 90% of their ceiling it will be a great D to go with

Hall Draisaitl Eberle
Pouloit McDavid Yakupov .

Still rather keep all 3 C and move one to the wing . If/when one gets injured we shouldn't miss a beat

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
In the sage words of Yosemite Sam, 'Whoaaaa, whoa mule whoa! whoaaaa a mule!!!!'

People projection Drai to continue on with this pace. Nurse is now a #1 all star man before long, the oilers are going to be unstoppable when they get mcdavid back, we can now trade RNH!

Let's resign Purcell.

Drai will not keep up the pace, if anything other teams will take notice and start doing the **** down rough up routine on him.

We can get excited when we actually win 3 or 4 in a row rather than a win followed by a dog game and then 3 close losses.

Even thinking about trading RNH would be crazy, we have just invested time and effort to make him a valued complete center and each year there are injuries. Teams are not trading high end #1 Dmen.

Calm down folks.

A post full of strawman interpretations that weren't stated.

Of course Drai won't keep up the pace. Sidney Crosby can't keep up this pace. But Drai's progression is much more than luck. He is simply dominating in all areas of the ice when he's on. Key on him for awhile. He's beating people to pucks, squeezing opponents off pucks, getting in on forechecks, reading plays at a high level and working flawlessly with Hall.

NOBODY. Was saying Trade NUge now.

What people were stating is IF Drai continues to play anything close to this level. (which is miles better than Nuge has EVER played. Then ultimately in years down the road it makes little sense to pay Nuge 6M to play 3rd line.

Right now I'd bet anybody Drai is going to be a better Center than Nuge. Not even close.

In 5 seasons in the NHL Nuge has never played to this level that we are seeing with Draisaitl.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton

Of course Drai won't keep up the pace. Sidney Crosby can't keep up this pace. But Drai's progression is much more than luck. He is simply dominating in all areas of the ice when he's on. Key on him for awhile. He's beating people to pucks, squeezing opponents off pucks, getting in on forechecks, reading plays at a high level and working flawlessly with Hall.

What people were stating is IF Drai continues to play anything close to this level. (which is miles better than Nuge has EVER played. Then ultimately in years down the road it makes little sense to pay Nuge 6M to play 3rd line.

Right now I'd bet anybody Drai is going to be a better Center than Nuge. Not even close.

In 5 seasons in the NHL Nuge has never played to this level that we are seeing with Draisaitl.

Nuge started his rookie season with 32 points in his first 29 games. Not bad for an 18 year old if you ask me. His role on this team has changed over the years which you're well aware of I'm sure. He's beasting no doubt, but Nuge is carrying the heavier load IMO, and he's been carrying that load pretty much from day one.

Based on what I've read about Chia, Nuge is his kind of player, doubt he goes anywhere. 3 top 6 centers on the club is a luxury I'm willing to explore. I'd be surprised if many thought Drai would become the better center before these last 10 games. Its easy to say now. Different tool boxes, both unique. Keep them both and our top 6 will flourish.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Thing is, let's say he has a brutal offensive season (35 points or something). How much would that affect his trade value? Probably won't happen; I'm sure he'll probably still get 50 or more points, but I'm always thinking of worst-case scenario. I think we should be looking around right now.

I know there's not many teams looking to trade Dmen. Actually, incendentally enough, I've heard a couple NJ fans on this site mention that they'd be willing to trade a Dman for a top-6 forward. One mentioned Severson. I'd trade RNH for Severson + one of their defensive centers. What do you think? Severson may not be considered a legit top4 guy now, but he will be soon. I'm usually on the money with Dmen, so take my word for it. ;)
(Forwards, not so much. Goalies, not so much. But assessing Dmen is something I'm pretty good at)

I am always wrong on D . I am pretty good and forwards . I called it last year that Draisaitl would be better then RNH . Thing is I called it when he was playing badly for us .

Seeing that you are good on D whats your take on Klefbom and Nurse ? Do we have a #1 D in the making ? I know we got 2 good ones . Do we have a true number 1 ?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I understand your point here Replacement. I even agree with it in certain aspects. But I think that Nuge brings different types of assets to the team. The good thing about Drai though is he not only has the size to seemingly win battles along the boards with one arm while maintaining the puck, but as both yourself and I have mentioned already; Drai's initial speed has grown incredibly since the last year. And he's smart to boot with exceptional playmaking abilities.

Nuge doesn't have the size going for him, but he uses his size well also. He's also, from what I've seen, the first one to the puck in the opposing zone when he or somebody else dumps it in. I think Nuge's defensive play is also quite a bit beter than Drai's, for the time being at least.

It would have to be a pretty spectacular deal to get rid of him anytime soon at least. Perhaps in the future though, time will tell. We have to remember how many games Drai has played so far this year as well. What happens if and when the other shoe drops?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Why?

He wants you to calm down, because we're not allowed to have nice things. Ever.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Drai hasn't taken many shots this season. Even if his shooting percentage goes up he can start shooting more. No one thinks he will maintain the pace but at the same time, he absolutely could.

Actually there is little to no chance he maintains that.

Those numbers will recede...his shooting % should be below 20% and his ppg will also drop.

The only question is by how much.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nuge started his rookie season with 32 points in his first 29 games. Not bad for an 18 year old if you ask me.
Fact of the matter is this has now been rendered outlier territory and a kind of production he hasn't been anywhere close to.

His role on this team has changed over the years which you're well aware of I'm sure. He's beasting no doubt, but Nuge is carrying the heavier load IMO, and he's been carrying that load pretty much from day one.
Sometimes I think this is overstated. Almost all the time I'm seeing hall and Drai out on the ice I'm seeing them against other squads topguns. I'm seeing Drai pick Toews lunch money for instance.

Based on what I've read about Chia, Nuge is his kind of player, doubt he goes anywhere. 3 top 6 centers on the club is a luxury I'm willing to explore. I'd be surprised if many thought Drai would become the better center before these last 10 games. Its easy to say now. Different tool boxes, both unique. Keep them both and our top 6 will flourish.
Not sure where you got this impression. Chia has a noted penchant for big strong players.

Luxury? In two years time its one we won't be able to afford. Drai plays a better, more dominant game than Nuge ever has. I doubt it disappears either. For Nuge its been a struggle with shoulder and not being all that strong in the first place. With Drai theres no such problem. He's an absolute Bull, that just turned 20 and is dominating other forwards.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Shiny new toy syndrome

Yup, next season McDavid will go through an early 4 game pointless streak and everyone will be saying the team should be trading him because we already have Austin Matthews. ;)

Seriously though this fan base is so 'what have you done for me lately' that it's not even funny.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Agreed. If you have played in the KHL, or AHL for over 2 seasons you are no longer a pro rookie imo
Yet Gretzky wasn't eligible for the Calder because the WHA was considered a pro league yet the WHA was considered minor league in every other aspect. I know a lot of media left it blank for the Calder in protest.

Messier would have been thrown out of the league by now if he played like that in today's game.
At least in those days, players were allowed to protect their teammates. In today's NHL, players get penalized for protecting their teammates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
It didn't. Our defence outside of Fayne and Klefbom IMO looked slow to the puck in the defensive zone 5v5.

Just my opinion but I think the Devils just aren't that good a team or were having an off night cause our D, while limiting shots, gave up some seriously dangerous scoring chances.
Didn't Klefbom miss a day of practice because of the flu. That's why some the of the defence TOI were screwed.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Fact of the matter is this has now been rendered outlier territory and a kind of production he hasn't been anywhere close to.

He's got 15 points in 19 games thus far and we will most likely see a slight increase in his usual point totals due to Drai and McDavid sharing the attention with him.

Sometimes I think this is overstated. Almost all the time I'm seeing hall and Drai out on the ice I'm seeing them against other squads topguns. I'm seeing Drai pick Toews lunch money for instance.
It appeared to me that McLellan would matchup Nuge against the hardest comp 5v5. I'm not much of a stats guy so if you want to dig up some numbers I'd be interested to see. On the road I'm sure Drai and Hall get quite a bit of attention.

Not sure where you got this impression. Chia has a noted penchant for big strong players.
I got this impression from Chia himself when he stated over and over again, when he was first hired, that he seeks players that play a "hard" style, and that size wasn't the end all be all. McLellan preaches the same.

Luxury? In two years time its one we won't be able to afford. Drai plays a better, more dominant game than Nuge ever has. I doubt it disappears either. For Nuge its been a struggle with shoulder and not being all that strong in the first place. With Drai theres no such problem. He's an absolute Bull, that just turned 20 and is dominating other forwards.

Why are you so convinced it has to be one or the other?? I'd put my money on both of them, along with Connor, being in the top 6 just like you see with San Jose's squad. Every winger not named Hall will be on the chopping block before either one of Drai or Nuge is.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I miss mcdavid so much still. If he comes back, and drai and hall are killing it, then we are going to be locked and loaded. Man, if we can find consistent defence and decent goaltending, we might not be out by the end of december!!!

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nowadays everybody wanna skate like they got cellys to five
But nothing lights up when they half-clap their sticks
Just penalty minutes
And mother****ers act like they forgot about Drai

Last edited:

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park

Let's resign Purcell.

Calm down folks.

Was that meant to be, "holy frijoles"?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Some of the Sekera comments are utterly laughable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I really have to question the hockey knowledge of some of the posters on here.
Oblivious defensively? :laugh:

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to question a posters' hockey knowledge since most of us on this board are diehards and are therefore pretty knowledgeable but I do wonder what they are seeing in Sekera.

After the first 10 games or so, Sekera has really steadied his game especially after having been paired with Nurse and his puck movement has been much crisper.

I think it's a matter of him acclimating to the system as he came from a different system under Sutter. He's playing like a confident, veteran defenseman. A few brainfarts here and there but only the elite play near flawless defensive hockey.
For the most part, I've been very happy with Sekera's play as of late, not sure why he's still the favorite whipping boy of some posters.

It's the bottom pairing that has really struggled, Gryba and Reinhart's play has slipped lately. The top 4 has been quite good in this recent stretch, even Fayne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad