Douglas Murray suspended for 3 games

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I remember that hit on Zednik. Much more devastating that Murray's hit. I also remember MT doing the throat slashing gesture and the press conference after where he said they will go after the Bruins best players. All from the guy who made PK a better l'homme. Fun times!

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Haven't seen the hit, but from the way people on here describe it, it sounds an awful lot like the McLaren hit on Zednik although the injuries to Zednik seem to have been far worse. I never for one second believed McLaren intended to injure Zednik. Zednik was beating him to the inside with speed and McLaren was caught out of position and threw his arm up to impede or slow down Zednik. A purely reflex or panic reaction. The results were of course very serious but there was no intent on McLaren's part. Still, a suspension was warranted as it would appear to be warranted in this case.

These kinds of situations are completely different from things like the Chara hit on Patches where Chara had been chasing Patches for 3 games to get him. Plays like McLaren's (and I assume Murray's) are however dangerous and can as we have seen result in serious injury and are therefore suspension worthy. They do not in my view qualify as the infliction of "intentional" injury. Just my 2 cents...

In the time it took you to write this post drawing parallels between Murray's hit and McLaren's...you could have watched Murray's hit. And realized it isn't even in the same stratosphere as McLaren's.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
In the time it took you to write this post drawing parallels between Murray's hit and McLaren's...you could have watched Murray's hit. And realized it isn't even in the same stratosphere as McLaren's.

I wasn't comparing the "severity" of the hits and resultant injuries but the "elements" involved, ie. a reflex or panic reaction with purely unintentional results.

I don't think I need to see the Murray hit to know it wasn't nearly as severe as McLaren's. I accept previous posters opinions on this point.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I thought my .gif would get more of a response to be honest :(

I posted it, notified the wife of my 'hilarious' gif I found and when I hit 'post quick reply' said 'just wait till they see this one baby' ...

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
But how can you put intent on a reflex reaction? If Murray had hunted him down I'd agree with you but Kostka came at him and he made a very unfortunate last second reaction.

That's not to say that he doesn't deserve a considerable suspension but I don't see how intent could be determined on this particular play.

Not nearly enough, nor anything of the sort that the guy you replied to would have everyone believe. Reactions are, pretty much by definition, unpremeditated acts. The only thing Murray actually committed to was a big shoulder right into the guy who was skating right at him. Fraction of a second adjustment at the last moment from Kostka, very slight flap of the arm in reaction from Murray, and here we are. He'll probably still get 2-3 games just because.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Not nearly enough, nor anything of the sort that the guy you replied to would have everyone believe. Reactions are, pretty much by definition, unpremeditated acts. The only thing Murray actually committed to was a big shoulder right into the guy who was skating right at him. Fraction of a second adjustment at the last moment from Kostka, very slight flap of the arm in reaction from Murray, and here we are. He'll probably still get 2-3 games just because.

Pretty much the way I saw it, when I took time to look at it. Elbow seemed to come up after the hit, not during. Hit was with the shoulder as near as I can see and Murray's arm flew up after the fact. Not really as "dirty" a hit as a lot of posters on here seems to think. He'll probably get a 1 or 2 game suspension. Shouldn't get more than 3 imho.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I remember that hit on Zednik. Much more devastating that Murray's hit. I also remember MT doing the throat slashing gesture and the press conference after where he said they will go after the Bruins best players. All from the guy who made PK a better l'homme. Fun times!

Tell me you aren't comparing the hits lol

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Off topic a bit but the Zednik hit was one of my first memories as a Habs fan :( I felt sick to my stomach when I woke up and saw it.

Another one of my memories was my dad waking me up for school telling me we won game 6 :cheers:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I wasn't comparing the "severity" of the hits and resultant injuries but the "elements" involved, ie. a reflex or panic reaction with purely unintentional results.

I don't think I need to see the Murray hit to know it wasn't nearly as severe as McLaren's. I accept previous posters opinions on this point.

I don't think McLaren's was a reflex or a panic reaction, I think it was premeditated. So in that sense I don't see the comparison on any level.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I don't think McLaren's was a reflex or a panic reaction, I think it was premeditated. So in that sense I don't see the comparison on any level.

Comparing the McLaren and Murray hits is ridiculous, McLaren went for Zednik's head on purpose with a "corde a linge" type of move that was extremely violent. Murray was caught a bit off position when the TB player changed his path and hit him with his elbow instead of his shoulder, and it was not premeditated.

Not even in the same league

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Should know re suspension any minute now.

Kostka and TB call Murray's followup concern "classy"

"At the conclusion of Tuesday's game Michael Kostka checked his phone and had already received a text message from Montreal Canadiens defenseman Douglas Murray apologizing for the hit that left Kostka momentarily motionless on the ice. 'Classy move,' Kostka said. 'I don't think he had malicious intent, but needless to say it was a bad hit.'"

(some fans of some teams might say "Kostka used his phone?? He's faking!!" :naughty:)

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Comparing the McLaren and Murray hits is ridiculous, McLaren went for Zednik's head on purpose with a "corde a linge" type of move that was extremely violent. Murray was caught a bit off position when the TB player changed his path and hit him with his elbow instead of his shoulder, and it was not premeditated.

Not even in the same league

Yours is of course pretty much the consensus view re the McLaren hit. As I have already said, I disagree that it was premeditated or intentional but it's ancient history now. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Should know re suspension any minute now.

Kostka and TB call Murray's followup concern "classy"

"At the conclusion of Tuesday's game Michael Kostka checked his phone and had already received a text message from Montreal Canadiens defenseman Douglas Murray apologizing for the hit that left Kostka momentarily motionless on the ice. 'Classy move,' Kostka said. 'I don't think he had malicious intent, but needless to say it was a bad hit.'"

(some fans of some teams might say "Kostka used his phone?? He's faking!!" :naughty:)

How does Murray get Kostka's phone number that quickly and easily in the first place? That kind of thing always surprises me about players on rival teams reaching out without needing the use of indirect social media like Twitter, or whatever, as if there's an NHLPA employee directory, or something.

For those questioning Murray's intent, and flying off the handle, I think it says a lot that he wasted little time getting that message through to Kostka, because it honestly couldn't have been that easy to get onto it before Kostka could even check his phone.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
There's an NHLPA website that they can use. When I worked at the Bell Centre, I had seen documents that had the URL. Sadly, you needed a login to get in :laugh:

void

Jan 5, 2006
I was expecting more.

@renlavoietva:
3 games suspension for Douglas Murray. #nhl #canadiens #tvasports

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I was expecting more.

@renlavoietva:
3 games suspension for Douglas Murray. #nhl #canadiens #tvasports

Whew. No history, got off fairly easy. Will be a lightning rod for TB, which is fine prefer that over guys gunning for our stars.

I was afraid he'd get 10 games playing with Boullion, which would have destroyed the Habs. :sarcasm:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
There's an NHLPA website that they can use. When I worked at the Bell Centre, I had seen documents that had the URL. Sadly, you needed a login to get in :laugh:

Now that you mention it, I believe that's something I heard tell of during one of the labour disputes. Makes sense.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Looks like Douglas Murray is being brought up on assault charges as well. Not getting out of this one either.

:(

TqsS7.gif

Yes, Murray is our barbarian!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
3 games is fair, we would want that if one of their guys hit one of our dmen...

Murray wanted to use the shoulder, but doesn't have the mobility to have made that happen, the elbow seemed to be a reflex type of move, and that's a move they want out of the game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad