Douglas Murray suspended for 3 games

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
While he's a good PK'er, our PK never really needed him to begin with. And if we could play him ONLY on the PK and never on ES, well then he might have some use. But we can't/don't so he doesn't. Being a 'truck' and hitting people is a means to an end. An end that Murray's hitting rarely satisfies. His play leads to more goals, chances, shots against than any other D on the team when taking into account that he's the most sheltered player on the team not named Parros, and one of, if not THE most sheltered D in the East. Even the lowly Bouillon, who himself is no longer NHL calibre, has outplayed him this year.

This isn't exactly true. Considering he really only plays/played with Tinordi, Diaz, Bouillon, Beaulieu and Weaver, if you look at their numbers with Murray and without Murray, they are quite similar...

Oh and Bouillon has barely outplayed him this year. He has the privilege of playing with Subban, Murray has not (not often).

Halifaxhab*

Boston is one of the last teams I'd want him to play against.

I think he'd hurt one of them

So.....is this not as bad as the Lucic hit? It must be cleaner because we don't hear whining out of Tampa Bay.....right?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
While he's a good PK'er, our PK never really needed him to begin with. And if we could play him ONLY on the PK and never on ES, well then he might have some use. But we can't/don't so he doesn't. Being a 'truck' and hitting people is a means to an end. An end that Murray's hitting rarely satisfies. His play leads to more goals, chances, shots against than any other D on the team when taking into account that he's the most sheltered player on the team not named Parros, and one of, if not THE most sheltered D in the East. Even the lowly Bouillon, who himself is no longer NHL calibre, has outplayed him this year.

...you had me right up until the whole Boo Boo outplaying him, which I disagree with vehemently...and the issue with that is that we all know, and even Therrien got it through his thick head, that Murray needs sheltering...unfortunately, our moron coach didn't get that same memo with ol' Frankie Boo Boo and now he's playing Top 4 minutes with ECHL-level skill...ergo, Boo Boo is doing faaaaaarrr more damage to the Habs than Murray ever dreamed of...;)

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
For those who have never seen Murray in person, go watch him play. You need to see him in person to truly understand just how slow and how poor of a skater he is.

I see it on the screen. It's dreadful. I just wish we had a few other fear factors in our arsenal.

But god, whenever anyone talks about our team being contenders... I mean, sheesh, we've got Murray back there, playing a lot of minutes.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Granted he's not a better PKer than a guy like Subban or Markov, but he's not worse either. At the end of the day those guys are going to play 25+ min a night regardless of the number of penalties so if we minimize their PK time we can increase their ES/PP TOI. That's a plus.

So even though a guy like Bouillon might be better than Murray, Bouillon doesn't kill penalties which means we have to give harder minutes to Subban/Markov. So in a lot of ways Murray is better for the team because his role lessens the burden on our top player.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
But god, whenever anyone talks about our team being contenders... I mean, sheesh, we've got Murray back there, playing a lot of minutes.
Not that I like Murray, but a year ago he played in every playoffs games for the Pens.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I was hoping he'd be suspended for the rest of the year + playoffs.

What? That hit wasn't nearly that at all...

The guy has never been suspended in this league. He over reacted when he was out of position, but the intent wasn't malicious. He'll get 3-5 games and that's fair.

Murray has been good for this team, especially lately. He played 18:43 last night and was a plus one. He is one of our best penalty killers and punishes guys out there.
He will be a big part of any Habs playoff run.

The lack of testicular fortitude and sheer desire to crucify our own on here is staggering.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What? That hit wasn't nearly that at all...

The guy has never been suspended in this league. He over reacted when he was out of position, but the intent wasn't malicious. He'll get 3-5 games and that's fair.

Murray has been good for this team, especially lately. He played 18:43 last night and was a plus one. He is one of our best penalty killers and punishes guys out there.
He will be a big part of any Habs playoff run.

The lack of testicular fortitude and sheer desire to crucify our own on here is staggering.

Not because of the hit. I don't want his lack of speed and desire to pinch on every puck along the wall to cost us in the play-offs.

I'd also like to see Beaulieu back with the club. However, it will be one of the million things i'll disagree with the coaching staff about.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver

Should be the top 6 going into the playoffs.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Looks like Douglas Murray is being brought up on assault charges as well. Not getting out of this one either.

:(

TqsS7.gif

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
So overblown this thing. The hit wasn't intentional at all. Got caught a little out of position, he wanted to hit him with the shoulder but the player was too far so his elbow went up..it's almost like an automatic instinct that's very hard to control when the play is happening quickly. He'll get 2-3 games and that's that so let's move on. No need to dissect this to death. Fans throwing this guy under the bus are disgusting.

would love to see what you would write should murray have been playing with the bolts. that's not throwing him under the bus, that's recognizing that hits like this have no place in the game

Last edited:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I'd like to hear your version if Subban did the same.

that has nothing to do with anything. i don't care if it was jesus elbowing stalin, it's still a dirty hit and pointing that out, is not throwing anybody under anything

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
He'll get 3 because the player got up. It's disgusting that the intent isn't punished, he deserves more if it means putting an end to head shots.

But how can you put intent on a reflex reaction? If Murray had hunted him down I'd agree with you but Kostka came at him and he made a very unfortunate last second reaction.

That's not to say that he doesn't deserve a considerable suspension but I don't see how intent could be determined on this particular play.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Haven't seen the hit, but from the way people on here describe it, it sounds an awful lot like the McLaren hit on Zednik although the injuries to Zednik seem to have been far worse. I never for one second believed McLaren intended to injure Zednik. Zednik was beating him to the inside with speed and McLaren was caught out of position and threw his arm up to impede or slow down Zednik. A purely reflex or panic reaction. The results were of course very serious but there was no intent on McLaren's part. Still, a suspension was warranted as it would appear to be warranted in this case.

These kinds of situations are completely different from things like the Chara hit on Patches where Chara had been chasing Patches for 3 games to get him. Plays like McLaren's (and I assume Murray's) are however dangerous and can as we have seen result in serious injury and are therefore suspension worthy. They do not in my view qualify as the infliction of "intentional" injury. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Subban and Emelin both have made numerous questionable plays.

Never anything close to this bad. Aside from Pacioretty's boarding, I can't really think of a Habs player injuring an opponent so brutally. Generally, it's the opposition that sends a Habs player out.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Haven't seen the hit, but from the way people on here describe it, it sounds an awful lot like the McLaren hit on Zednik although the injuries to Zednik seem to have been far worse. I never for one second believed McLaren intended to injure Zednik. Zednik was beating him to the inside with speed and McLaren was caught out of position and threw his arm up to impede or slow down Zednik. A purely reflex or panic reaction. The results were of course very serious but there was no intent on McLaren's part. Still, a suspension was warranted as it would appear to be warranted in this case.

These kinds of situations are completely different from things like the Chara hit on Patches where Chara had been chasing Patches for 3 games to get him. Plays like McLaren's (and I assume Murray's) are however dangerous and can as we have seen result in serious injury and are therefore suspension worthy. They do not in my view qualify as the infliction of "intentional" injury. Just my 2 cents...

maybe. but the mclaren hit was far more violent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad