GDT: Dougie-less Canes going for #4

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
But if you were an alarmist fan and did put those thoughts out on this board and were mocked for them, then you get the grim satisfaction of seeing pretty much the same takes being said tonight that you said a few weeks ago.

It’s bittersweet.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
But if you were an alarmist fan and did put those thoughts out on this board and were mocked for them, then you get the grim satisfaction of seeing pretty much the same takes being said tonight that you said a few weeks ago.

It’s bittersweet.

But..but..muh record compared to last season at this time

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This team is the streakiest team I can remember in some time which drives some of the "alarmist" attitudes on here, which is understandable. Counting OTL as a L, here is their season to date, broken down by streaks:

5-0
1-4
3-0
0-4
6-1
1-3
6-1
0-3
2-2
3-0
0-3

Other than that 2-2 stretch, when they beat WSH and MTL, lost to TBL and WSH (and even that was 2-0, then 0-2), they seem to either be all or nothing where they win 3+ straight or lose 3+ straight. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall a team being this streaky before. There's only been 6 times this who season where they followed up a single win or loss with a single loss or win. Seems weird to me.

The problem right now is first and foremost goal scoring. A month or so ago, I mentioned that 9/11 losses (back then) were when the Canes scored 2 goals or less and ~half of those were 1 or 0. The last 4 games they've scored 2 or less goals. Dundon said he would rather lose 5-4 than 2-1 (or something like that) and the team has enough skill to score more than they are.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

It’s bittersweet.

I mean I think the notion of losing a leading Norris candidate for the rest of the season kinda changes the outlook of things a bit, no?

The grim outlook has far more to do with that unfortunate, out of the blue circumstance than the current 3 game losing streak.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He plays a much bigger role to me than Staal, but we lost Staal at a similar point last year and it was a turning point. We have the guys to fill the spot.

One irony is that while the top two pairings may be jacked up now our third pair is finally set. TVR and Fleury both looked to be hitting their strides last night. The reported demise of TVR by the “alarmists” was premature. He’s basically back to normal in my eyes.

And Fleury?! Was it me or does he actually look powerful and borderline fast leaving the zone? Foot speed uses to be his Achilles heel. Someone’s been doing some pliometrics in the weight room while he’s scratched....or he was really pumped up for the opportunity. I was seriously impressed last night. I could see TVR moving up the lineup when the other pairs falter, but I’d love to see them stay together. Or if Gardiner fails it’s time to see Fleury with Pesce. Jake played a decent game last night I thought.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
And Fleury?! Was it me or does he actually look powerful and borderline fast leaving the zone? Foot speed uses to be his Achilles heel. Someone’s been doing some pliometrics in the weight room while he’s scratched....or he was really pumped up for the opportunity. I was seriously impressed last night. I could see TVR moving up the lineup when the other pairs falter, but I’d love to see them stay together. Or if Gardiner fails it’s time to see Fleury with Pesce. Jake played a decent game last night I thought.

I liked the way Fleury looked last night, but I would caution against reading too much into last night for 2 reasons:
1) As you said, he's getting his shot with the injury and knows it's his best shot at regular playing time in 2 years. That motivation should continue as he has the opportunity for an extended run with good play.
2) Unless there was another change on Anaheim's side, Fleury was the only skater on the ice who didn't also play Thursday night. That's going to give him a bit of an advantage in his acceleration.

Reactions: zman77

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Fleury’s third period was very good. He’s still lost in his own zone and on most breakouts, but agree that the one-man breakout in the third period was impressive. Probably the most “upside” I’ve ever seen from him on just that one play. He had a lot of easy breakouts turn into defensive zone turnovers last night as well, though.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
My Problem with Fluery isn't when he's skating with the puck it's when it leaves his tape... He makes so many bad slow/fast or off target passes... and shots to shins.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Fleury’s third period was very good. He’s still lost in his own zone and on most breakouts, but agree that the one-man breakout in the third period was impressive. Probably the most “upside” I’ve ever seen from him on just that one play. He had a lot of easy breakouts turn into defensive zone turnovers last night as well, though.
Can we not use the term "the own zone" of our end of the ice in the context of our D-men.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I liked the way Fleury looked last night, but I would caution against reading too much into last night for 2 reasons:
1) As you said, he's getting his shot with the injury and knows it's his best shot at regular playing time in 2 years. That motivation should continue as he has the opportunity for an extended run with good play.
2) Unless there was another change on Anaheim's side, Fleury was the only skater on the ice who didn't also play Thursday night. That's going to give him a bit of an advantage in his acceleration.
More likely to buy that he’s pumped at the shot than the other reason.

I didn’t notice a ton of turnovers all game either. I noticed them swarming us and the d not having great options. A lot of breakouts not working because we had no flow and they were playing loose and fast.....just like cbus.

Ill rewatch sober. It’ll make it a completely new game.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I mean I think the notion of losing a leading Norris candidate for the rest of the season kinda changes the outlook of things a bit, no?

The grim outlook has far more to do with that unfortunate, out of the blue circumstance than the current 3 game losing streak.

Except the team looked to be on the down trend before Hamilton's injury. After the game on the 5th, Brindamour said:

"The second period was not a period we ever want to see again."

And yet almost every game since then has had at least one period that has just been unacceptable to any professional team.

Last night, Brindamour:

“It's a simple game that we've seen work, and we're just not buying into it right now.”

If I had to pinpoint where this downward spiral began, I'd say either the 21st (4-2 loss to FLA) or the 24th (8-6 loss to TOR). Neither game looked anything close to the hardworking, "moar effort!" team we should be expecting from them.

And just about every game since then has been the same story. Questionable goaltending, questionable offense, questionable effort all around.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Except the team looked to be on the down trend before Hamilton's injury. After the game on the 5th, Brindamour said:

"The second period was not a period we ever want to see again."

And yet almost every game since then has had at least one period that has just been unacceptable to any professional team.

Last night, Brindamour:

“It's a simple game that we've seen work, and we're just not buying into it right now.”

If I had to pinpoint where this downward spiral began, I'd say either the 21st (4-2 loss to FLA) or the 24th (8-6 loss to TOR). Neither game looked anything close to the hardworking, "moar effort!" team we should be expecting from them.

And just about every game since then has been the same story. Questionable goaltending, questionable offense, questionable effort all around.

And I would argue you were overreacting to a streaky team as has been said above. The main reason for concern now is that in addition to needing to snap out of this funk (something they were likely to do and still are), they are also down one of the league’s best defensemen. It’s a tough pill to swallow.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
He plays a much bigger role to me than Staal, but we lost Staal at a similar point last year and it was a turning point. We have the guys to fill the spot.

One irony is that while the top two pairings may be jacked up now our third pair is finally set. TVR and Fleury both looked to be hitting their strides last night. The reported demise of TVR by the “alarmists” was premature. He’s basically back to normal in my eyes.

That one breakout coming up the left side (can’t remember which period), was very Necas-like. I was thinking to myself, “Where did that come from?”

I’d love to see more of that from him.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Fleury was last night as he has been this entire season, both good and bad. I've seen that breakout rush from him nearly 10 times...it's nothing new. Also, I've seen him have trouble finding outlet passes just as he did last night...it's nothing new. One new-ish thing I noticed was how well he held his line in the O zone...many pucks that rimmed around to his side were kept in by winning board battles with the winger on his side (something that Gardiner is terrible with).

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And I would argue you were overreacting to a streaky team as has been said above. The main reason for concern now is that in addition to needing to snap out of this funk (something they were likely to do and still are), they are also down one of the league’s best defensemen. It’s a tough pill to swallow.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. You say I'm overreacting, I say you and a river in Egypt have something in common.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I remember watching Fleury play for the Checkers last season (both live and on TV) and he was a noticeably fast and agile skater.
My guess is that his skating has always looked poor due to his lack of confidence on the Canes—he knows he is not established on the blue line. Perhaps knowing there is no 7th D-man he is relaxing and allowing his natural abilities to show.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
No. He was slow. Well in the NHL he always was. He had mud feet in his corners. His stops and starts were behind any quick forward. Anyone doing the Crosby spins on the backboards could lose him, and he would over respect them because of it and back off five feet. Sure there's confidence in play there but it was evident his footwork was subpar, otherwise he was always pretty solid to me. I've seen him break out many times looking strong and assertive - that one play last night was a different category. All that matters is if that's what he's going to try to bring it maybe we arent in as bad a shape as we thought. He's always needed confidence, if he actually improves/improved his overall short game quickness and can play like he wants to prove something like that he may be worth the pick in the end. I've always rooted for him and wasnt ready to give up on him being a top 4 guy. Be the guy you were supposed to be...it's not your fault they named you Hayden.

Reactions: cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, we can win with streaky goaltending. As we’ve seen lately, we can’t win if we can’t score.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad