GDT: Dougie-less Canes going for #4

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Its amazing how the Canes surviving the goaltending nightmare against Philly means we dont have a goaltending problem.

One different play and this whole board would have self immolated.

Absolutely dominating a team and scoring 6 goals was barely enough.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't agree only because I think the team's confidence in the goalie is a big part of their confidence overall. It's the backbone, the cornerstone of the team and it hasn't been consistent.

That’s fair and I acknowledge that could be a contributing factor. The team has struggled scoring recently, even at times when the goalies have been good and even excellent though. In the last 5 games, the team has given up 0, 0, 2, 3, and 1 regulation goals which should be good enough to win 4/5 if the team was scoring at a decent clip.

IMO, both have been inconsistent and need to get better. I’m not saying the goaltending has been consistently good, it hasn’t been(for example the Philly game mentioned above), but recently, the inconsistent goal scoring has been a bigger issue for me and I’m not as willing to chalk that all up to confidence in a goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
No. He was slow.

Sorry Bleed....either your eyes are deceiving your or you're just wrong.

Don't take my word for it, here's what his one-time coach, Brent Sutter, had to say:

"Red Deer head coach and general manager Brent Sutter has been impressed with Fleury, saying “his biggest strength is his skating ability...being able to carry the puck and get back into defensive position quickly.”

Based on my viewings, I'd be willing to bet that Fleury is the 2nd fastest skater on our blueline (behind Slavin). Speed and skating have never been his issue, it's confidence which leads to questionable decision-making. We'll see whether more ice time cures that.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I agree with bleed, he's slow to react in his start-stop-starts below the goalline. It's easier along the half-boards because he's forcing away from the goal, so it's less of a thing. But this was still a thing against the Ducks, so it's not like he's suddenly gained quickness in these situations.

Similar is that breakout and puck-carry through the neutral zone: everyone is lauding praise upon him, but he's done that tons of times as a Cane. It's nothing new. The difference is this year he hasn't attacked deep into the O zone (taking the puck behind the net) because he's been playing his offside...he won't make that attack on his backhand, but will on his strong side.

Y'all are noticing what I've been seeing for a long time. Welcome.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Sorry Bleed....either your eyes are deceiving your or you're just wrong.

Don't take my word for it, here's what his one-time coach, Brent Sutter, had to say:

"Red Deer head coach and general manager Brent Sutter has been impressed with Fleury, saying “his biggest strength is his skating ability...being able to carry the puck and get back into defensive position quickly.”

Based on my viewings, I'd be willing to bet that Fleury is the 2nd fastest skater on our blueline (behind Slavin). Speed and skating have never been his issue, it's confidence which leads to questionable decision-making. We'll see whether more ice time cures that.
He was the slowest dman in our lineup in terms of starts and stops and his first couple of steps. Which is what I’m talking about. If you mean after he has three or four strides in open ice....sure but like @geehaad and I are saying it’s about being deep in his end defending and initially carrying the puck from deep. Looked great the other night though.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Again, earlier perhaps that was the case. I didn't see that his last handful of games. I'm going today, so I'll pay especially close attention....which usually means self-fulfilling prophecy of disaster....:naughty::help:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Again, earlier perhaps that was the case. I didn't see that his last handful of games. I'm going today, so I'll pay especially close attention....which usually means self-fulfilling prophecy of disaster....:naughty::help:
Avoiding confirmation bias when watching a player I'm critical of is undoubtedly one of my weaknesses. For me, the only way to eliminate it is to focus solely on the player, and if I see something wrong, to re-watch everything leading up to the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->