Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton; RHD

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
the compensation # is based on 5 years. so any deal longer than 5 years is divided by 5. So 7.5x7 is the same compensation as 10.5x5
You sure it's not the highest 5 years?

Either way, I'd still match 7.5x7

so, when is he signing... don't want Wednesday to come and have another team offer sheet him.
Everyone should be back in the office Monday, so paperwork would be filed then I'd bet.

That'd be my guess, I honestly have no idea.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You sure it's not the highest 5 years?

Either way, I'd still match 7.5x7

Everyone should be back in the office Monday, so paperwork would be filed then I'd bet.

That'd be my guess, I honestly have no idea.
Teams don't usually make news on Sundays, so you are likely on to something.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hamilton will make a good #3 defenceman

I know you're an anti-koolaid kinda guy, but I'm gonna call you out on this. Hamilton is already an excellent #2, it's not even really debatable. If he improves anymore he's basically a franchise top pairing dman. So you are absolutely free to post as you wish, but I really do find your post comical and off base.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I know you're an anti-koolaid kinda guy, but I'm gonna call you out on this. Hamilton is already an excellent #2, it's not even really debatable. If he improves anymore he's basically a franchise top pairing dman. So you are absolutely free to post as you wish, but I really do find your post comical and off base.

I'd assume he means behind gio and Brodie.. But I could be wrong

May 27, 2012
Earth

I'd assume he means behind gio and Brodie.. But I could be wrong

I think he was saying the same thing. In terms of offensive, Brodie is worse than Hamilton, but Brodie has him in the defensive game. Either Brodie or Hamilton will be the #3 until Gio leaves or regresses.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I was on the same flight home as Treliving.
He definitely took the 3 1/2 hour flight from Dallas-Fort Worth off. Peaked at him messing around on his phone a bit, but mostly reading the paper or relaxing (I felt really weird eyeing him like a weirdo).

I know before the flight he was busy talking with someone who was super recognizable but I couldn't put my finger on who it was.

I expect Dougie's deal to be done by tomorrow or Tuesday.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

So you think Hartley will break up Giordano-Brodie after the chemistry they've had for 2 seasons? Hamilton will be a staple on the Second pairing as far as I see it, technically making him the #3.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To be fair, there isn't a lot to go off that sentence. Either of us could be wrong lol.

He's free to clarify.

I just read a small article on FB (from Flames Feed) that stated one assistant GM said Hamilton's teammates do not like him and it was unanimous. The article then says that was a reason for the trade.

I think that's complete crap. It's the media spinning the trade because it was awful for Boston. I've never heard any such slander until now, conveniently done after he was dealt.

May 27, 2012
Earth
So you think Hartley will break up Giordano-Brodie after the chemistry they've had for 2 seasons? Hamilton will be a staple on the Second pairing as far as I see it, technically making him the #3.

Playing as a #3 wouldn't mean he actually would be one. Hjmarlsson is a #3 but could be a #2 and even #1 some other teams.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Playing as a #3 wouldn't mean he actually would be one. Hjmarlsson is a #3 but could be a #2 and even #1 some other teams.

But on the team he plays on he is the #3. Same case here; Hamilton will be the best player on the second pairing. The only way (I see) that he gets bumped to the first pairing is if there is an injury to Giordano or Brodie.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Is Malkin a #2 because he plays behind Crosby? Many teams don't have a top line, followed by a 2nd, they have a 1A and 1B line as they call it. If Hamilton is on the "2nd" pairing, that's with Russell for example, I personally would consider that a 1B pairing.

I don't know where Hamilton is going to play, nobody admittedly not even Hartley does. He's going to try many combinations in preseason and see what it is best. Because Brodie is LH, yes I do think it's entirely possible that Brodano is not together next season, whether it's likely or not I have no clue.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
If we could get him for 6X6 I would be pretty happy. He basically replaces Wideman's contract in a year or two when/if we trade him. So, that still leaves roughly 21 million to spend on Johnny, Monahan and the rest of the big names.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Is Malkin a #2 because he plays behind Crosby?

On the Penguins, Yes. Malkin is the #2 center.

I get the 1A 1B thing. But the position you play on the line you play on dictates what you are on the team. On the Flames Bouma is played as a third liner? Should he be a third liner, god no. But like it or not that's how Hartley uses him and so that's what he is (thanks poor winger depth).

It's also why we can consider Blake Comeau a first line center. :laugh:

May 27, 2012
Earth
On the Penguins, Yes. Malkin is the #2 center.

I get the 1A 1B thing. But the position you play on the line you play on dictates what you are on the team. On the Flames Bouma is played as a third liner? Should he be a third liner, god no. But like it or not that's how Hartley uses him and so that's what he is (thanks poor winger depth).

It's also why we can consider Blake Comeau a first line center. :laugh:

wat.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I disagree. The respective roles both Crosby and Malkin play for the Pens are pretty much equal. The Pens are about the best example I can think of that employ a 1A/B lineup.

I don't know if anyone else thinks this way, but generally this is how I think of teams in terms of structure:
1st LW - 1st C - 1st RW
2nd LW - 2nd C - 2nd RW
3rd LW - 3rd C - 3rd RW
4th LW - 4th C - 4th RW

#1 D - #2 D
#3 D - #4 D
#5 D - #6 D

I don't think Hartley will break up Giordano - Brodie after the success they have had together, forcing Hamilton to the second pairing therefore that #3 slot. Is Hamilton the second BEST dman on the Flames? Probably. Doesn't change the fact to me that he's slotted in the #3 defenceman spot. Anyways when I take shots at our players it's more obvious because I'll just flat out say they suck/are terrible/have no business being in the NHL *cough*SETOGUCHI*cough* and I never said Hamilton was bad.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know if anyone else thinks this way, but generally this is how I think of teams in terms of structure:
1st LW - 1st C - 1st RW
2nd LW - 2nd C - 2nd RW
3rd LW - 3rd C - 3rd RW
4th LW - 4th C - 4th RW

#1 D - #2 D
#3 D - #4 D
#5 D - #6 D

I don't think Hartley will break up Giordano - Brodie after the success they have had together, forcing Hamilton to the second pairing therefore that #3 slot. Is Hamilton the second BEST dman on the Flames? Probably. Doesn't change the fact to me that he's slotted in the #3 defenceman spot. Anyways when I take shots at our players it's more obvious because I'll just flat out say they suck/are terrible/have no business being in the NHL *cough*SETOGUCHI*cough* and I never said Hamilton was bad.
Wouldn't that make Hamilton #4 since he will be on the right side and not the left?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad