Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton; RHD

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yah, Treliving deserves all the credit. And I agree, that's probably half the reason GMs were mad, not just that it wasn't broadcasted per say, but they are also kicking themselves in the ass for not overturning that stone.

I think Brad also deserves credit for keeping his talks quiet and not driving up the price.

I cannot express how awesome I think it is that the cost specifically was higher for Edmonton :laugh:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Yah, Treliving deserves all the credit. And I agree, that's probably half the reason GMs were mad, not just that it wasn't broadcasted per say, but they are also kicking themselves in the ass for not overturning that stone.

I still cannot believe this deal happened. Might go down as the best trade Calgary has ever made. We got a player who is going to be a top pairing dman for futures. We didn't have to give up a core piece of the team. Plus our 2nd round picks were bang on. I cannot wait for next season. If we can find a way to bring in an okposo type, this teams is set!

Great time to be a flames fan guys! Enjoy it!

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Agree with both of you! I don't know what it would've felt like for the Oilers to walk away with McDavid AND Hamilton, thank god for Treliving & co.!!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
4. The Dougie Hamilton trade watch was a real rollercoaster. As news broke Friday morning, it looked like Arizona was going to be his next home. But, as we learned later, GM Don Maloney’s staff pushed back at any move that prevented them from getting Dylan Strome in the draft.

No deal with the Bruins — whose highest selection would turn out to be 13 — was going to allow that. There was a point where things were close with Colorado, but that didn’t work, either. Edmonton felt it could provide a prettier cornucopia of draft picks, but for Peter Chiarelli, the price was going to be higher, since Boston’s worry of an offer sheet from him started all this. The Oilers were not going to include Darnell Nurse.

Teams were upset that they didn’t know of Hamilton’s availability until it was too late, probably because the Bruins preferred to send him West.
5. You don’t need to look hard to find reaction to Boston’s moves.

I’m more curious about practical analysis, as in, what does this tell us about the new regime? One GM compared it to “Harry Sinden running the team again.†What he meant was Hamilton and Milan Lucic made contract asks the Bruins didn’t like, and rather than doing much negotiating, pulled the trigger.

To be fair, Don Sweeney was up against a July 1 offer sheet possibility, although not with Lucic.

The best information I can give you is it appears the team offered six years and $33M to Hamilton, while the response was about $2M per year higher.

Sometimes, we get caught up in initial proposals. Any good negotiator will tell you to exaggerate your opening position. As for Lucic, I’m not sure money was discussed. This was about term. He opened with eight years. Don’t think Boston wanted to go higher than five.

Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Oilers fan here, not trying to start a war.....

So jealous you guys got hamilton at that price.

Anyways, i was wondering if a team (i would hope oilers) would offer hamilton 7.5 mil a year, would you match? I seen that you are hoping you will sign him at 6.5mil in this thread. Not familiar with your cap situation. I guess i am hoping for a miracle from an Oilers perspective. what do you guys think?

P.S. you guys are building are really good team

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
what would be the threshold? 8? 9?

Wouldn't 7.5 mean 4 1sts? I'm guessing matching anything below 7.3, which is the picks threshold. There are only a few teams that could give a 7.3+ and most of them are bad teams so giving 4 1sts is a no-no for the GMs.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Don't know how the Oilers can afford a 8M or 9M offersheet given how much cap they've tied up on forwards. Next year, they'll have to re-sign Talbot and Klefbom. In two years, Yakupov will be looking for a raise; in three there's McDavid and Nurse. Lots of salary is coming off the books in those years but they'll need to spend on depth. I'd mention trades but for whatever reason, the Oilers brass seem averse to moving their young players to address needs elsewhere.

But if they did go the offersheet route, I'd strongly consider taking the picks. Auston Matthews might be even better than Eichel.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Wouldn't 7.5 mean 4 1sts? I'm guessing matching anything below 7.3, which is the picks threshold. There are only a few teams that could give a 7.3+ and most of them are bad teams so giving 4 1sts is a no-no for the GMs.

I agree below the 7.3 grouping we match, higher and we get more then we payed.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Offer sheet compensation is
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316 First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater Four first-round picks

As an oiler I think we need this type of dman immensely and would offer $7.5 million

Oilers will not win the lotto again. I see them finishing 25-20 in the league. yes they have a chance but come on.....

next year we have about 18 million available, i would sign hamilton and another FA dman for 6 million. Trade or buyout nikitin ference.

Next couple of years you trade expensive wingers and replace with cheaper guys.

Anyways just wondering what would be Calgary's breaking point of not signing a RFA offersheet

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I agree EDM won't be as bad going forward, probably just under a playoff spot once Nurse is with the team full time, but 2 1st + 2nd +3rd is a lot to give up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, even with McLellan, the Oilers are going to be pretty bad next year unless they manage to acquire at least two top four defencemen, one of which would have to be a legitimate top pairing guy. Currently, their best defencemen is Mark Fayne, who would be sixth on the Flames depth chart, which is frankly, all kinds of hilarious.

Talbot's an upgrade on Scrivens and Fasth, but unless the defense is improved, he's not going to single-handedly get them out of the basement. Nor will simply inserting McDavid onto a massively flawed roster (see Crosby and Ovechkin's rookie seasons as examples) do a whole lot.

Can't see the Oilers offering over 8.5M as they'd risk screwing up their own cap management if Calgary didn't match. And anything under 8M the Flames match easily.

Frankly, the Oilers would have been better off re-signing Roy, trading for Lehner and Legwand and then using Nugent-Hopkins as bait to acquire Weber. Legwand and Roy would have acted as insulation for McDavid and Draisaitl as they acclimate to the NHL. Lehner and Talbot aren't all that much different, but playing behind Weber would have made their lives that much easier. And finally, Weber would have been an excellent mentor for Nurse and Klefbom. The Oilers only have the length of McDavid's ELC before they start running into cap problems. That's basically their best cup window unless their drafting becomes the class of the league.

Last edited:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Unreal trade for you guys. Adding a young first pairing dman to an already stacked defense corps. And add that to a young forward core who is only getting better and I see you guys making it to the conference finals next year if not winning the Cup.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
7.5 for how many years is the question we should be asking. If it's for 7 years I think I take the 4 first round picks.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
how was going for a 22 year old RH defensemean with top pairing potential curious in any way?? The only curious thing is that he was had for so cheap and that he was available at all.

It was curious because of the upcoming Gio signing and that it came out of nowhere.

Maybe "curious" wasn't the right word. Surprising.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Hope you guys enjoy watching him play, many of us will miss him

He might be a special player, especially if he can somehow put more nastiness in his game, hard to judge a player that's only 22...takes awhile to really become a man. Bruins unfortunately can't see that

I could honestly see him being a 65 point guy some day and pretty good defensively. Don't think he'll ever be a bruiser or defensive master

At worst he'll be a 45-50 point guy who can be sometimes hit or miss defensively. But either way, you added a young legit top 4 with first in line to defend the net potential for only draft picks, who is 6'5" skates effortlessly has a great shot that's pretty accurate and is only getting more man strength and confidence

I'll enjoy watching you guys climb the look the **** out charts in the west

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
so, when is he signing... don't want Wednesday to come and have another team offer sheet him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad