Doughty calls out Canucks: embarrassing to lose 8-2 to “a team like that.”

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
What's really embarrassing is to hire a coach like Todd McLellan and expect to compete after the year they had last year.

Or it's just part of the plan and process. To tank.

I think they want tank, they know they have to because all of there guys are aging and outside of Turcotte they don’t have any high end prospects. What I don’t understand is Doughty is constantly in the media complaining about his teams effort or the season, so why did he resign? Unfortunately for them they probably have another 2-3 years of tough games like this one ahead of them.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
When you're the worst team in the western conference, you're going to have more bad games than good. LA had a lot of shots towards the net but either Markstrom made the save or they weren't high quality scoring chances.

On the other end, the Canucks didn't take as many shots but they were higher quality chances and Quick didn't make the save (the Edler knucklepuck being one of those).

Doughty just needs to realize he's not on a good team anymore and blowout losses are going to be commonplace if that's the goaltending he gets on his team.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
When you're the worst team in the western conference, you're going to have more bad games than good. LA had a lot of shots towards the net but either Markstrom made the save or they weren't high quality scoring chances.

On the other end, the Canucks didn't take as many shots but they were higher quality chances and Quick didn't make the save (the Edler knucklepuck being one of those).

Doughty just needs to realize he's not on a good team anymore and blowout losses are going to be commonplace if that's the goaltending he gets on his team.

why are you calm and rational? i don't like this

Reactions: Frank Drebin

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I love players like Doughty and Kesler who hate to lose. That said, the constant whining by Doughty to the refs has become really tiring. I don’t mind his comments at all but quit with the whining during the game!

Reactions: phillydownsouth

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Canucks are better then their record from last season. They have some excellent young players and are only getting better. The Kings lineup is Doughty, Kopitar and a bunch of rookies or over the hill players.

Reactions: maroon 6

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Doughty has a decent chance of requesting a trade. I don't think he will stay on a rebuilding team

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This very much reflects what Doughty said in the preseason - when he came into the league, guys were tougher. He is sticking to what he said and isn’t afraid to call guys out. Doughty was not the problem last night. For being -3, he had a pretty good game. The roster is just bad right now. Carter, Kovalchuk, Kempe, Roy, Iafallo, Quick, a lot of these guys are either past their prime or won’t reach their potential. Hell, Matt Roy hardly looks like a beer league defenseman. The Kings essentially don’t have a second line. We’re bad, man, no way around it.

Reactions: Fifth Marauder

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that it's important to consider that, coming into the game, the Canucks were winless on the season, had scored only 2 goals and had just come away from being shut out by the team that the Kings beat the previous night. There are only a few teams in the league that started the season worse than the Kings and that Doughty could be forgiven for thinking that his team should've beaten or at least not been stomped 8-2 by, and the Canucks were one of them. I imagine that that's all that Doughty meant by a "team like that"... as opposed to a team like, say, the Predators, to which it would've been a little easier to stomach. To be stomped by another rebuilding, likely non-playoff team is surely more embarrassing.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Although the Canucks aren’t the same team as years past, I don’t blame him for being embarrassed losing to us the way they did but that’s also just the new reality of the quality of his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad