News: Doug Armstrong given full backing to make splash for center.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I wonder if the Blues would like to solidify the top 6 with a move for:

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk.

As a Habs fan I’d be interested in:

Fabbri
Thompson
Edmundson
1st(WIN)

These are the pieces of interest but what would the blues make as a package for Pacioretty and Galchenyuk maybe throw in one of the Habs 2nd rounder.

I think Pacioretty and Galchenyuk would complete the Blues top 6 drastically and fit it under the cap, They’d go all in for sure as. Their defense still decent even without Edmundson.
Very easy no thank you. Really bad for St. Louis.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Ummmmm I said those were the pieces of interest but what package could be made?

I wanted to know what package could be made.
My bad, I thought you were proposing Galchenyuk + Pacioretty for Edmundson + Thompson + Fabbri + 1st.

For starters, Edmundson is off the table completely. Period. I don't think there is a deal to be worked out here. Neither player is particularly interesting from a St. Louis perspective given position and contract status.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
My bad, I thought you were proposing Galchenyuk + Pacioretty for Edmundson + Thompson + Fabbri + 1st.

For starters, Edmundson is off the table completely. Period. I don't think there is a deal to be worked out here. Neither player is particularly interesting from a St. Louis perspective given position and contract status.
I agree, Edmundson isn't available. Blues' defense is hollow without him, even given their considerable depth on LD (when healthy).

But I disagree that Patches wouldn't be of interest. Who do we have to play left wing in the top six? Fabbri missed all of last year. Steen is still good defensively, but has lost a step on offense, and should be at 3rd LW next to Thomas. If we're honest, Blues need an entire top-6 line. I think it's feasible for them to acquire all that, but probably not reasonable to assume they will. Personally, though I know it's not a popular opinion, I think LW is an area of greater need than RW.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
LW will be an area of need IF Fabbri crashes and burns. There is still time to see how he comes back. If he can't go, then you address it during the season. If he does come back to the old Fabbri, then what? Give him Oct/Nov to judge how he plays and deal with the situation then. LW'ers are probably the easiest forward to trade for. They need to focus on centers immediately, unless you are excited about Bergy being the #2C at the start of the season.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I agree, Edmundson isn't available. Blues' defense is hollow without him, even given their considerable depth on LD (when healthy).

But I disagree that Patches wouldn't be of interest. Who do we have to play left wing in the top six? Fabbri missed all of last year. Steen is still good defensively, but has lost a step on offense, and should be at 3rd LW next to Thomas. If we're honest, Blues need an entire top-6 line. I think it's feasible for them to acquire all that, but probably not reasonable to assume they will. Personally, though I know it's not a popular opinion, I think LW is an area of greater need than RW.

If you think Steen has dropped off, then you might have missed Pacioretty's last season. He was very not good. I think he has a greater chance to bounce back, but there are obvious question marks.

Among Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri, and Berglund (even though he has a chance of being moved), the Blues have good left wing depth. If Fabbri is even 70% of his former self, he's a fine 2nd liner behind Schwartz.

Nashville is the only team that made it deep into the playoffs with remarkable performances from multiple left wings. As long as the Blues can stay relatively healthy, left wing is not an issue - and if they do acquire one, at least one has to leave.

As far as forwards go, the Blues don't need an entire top-6 line, they need two of these: a scoring line center, a scoring line right wing, or for their youngsters to develop into those roles. I'm not against acquiring Patches or some other left wing if the price is right and that's what it takes to upgrade their scoring, but I think you're way off. You must be assuming that Steen is going to get even worse and that Fabbri is going to be basically useless. That's possible, but even if it does happen, their left wing situation will still compare decently to recent deep playoff teams.

Last edited:

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
If you think Steen has dropped off, then you might have missed Pacioretty's last season. He was very not good. I think he has a greater chance to bounce back, but there are obvious question marks.

Among Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri, and Berglund (even though he has a chance of being moved), the Blues have good left wing depth. If Fabbri is even 70% of his former self, he's a fine 2nd liner behind Schwartz.

Nashville is the only team that made it deep into the playoffs with remarkable performances from multiple left wings. As long as the Blues can stay relatively healthy, left wing is not an issue - and if they do acquire one, at least one has to leave.

As far as forwards go, the Blues don't need an entire top-6 line, they need two of these: a scoring line center, a scoring line right wing, or for their youngsters to develop into those roles. I'm not against acquiring Patches or some other left wing if the price is right and that's what it takes to upgrade their scoring, but I think you're way off. You must be assuming that Steen is going to get even worse and that Fabbri is going to be basically useless. That's possible, but even if it does, their left wing situation will still compare decently to recent deep playoff teams.

I think we can agree that the Blues have lots of depth on LW.
I think we can agree that the Blues don't have much reliable quality depth in the top-6. I'm not satisfied with putting a warm body in those roles. And I think I've made clear that, while I'm open to trading for Pacioretty, he's not my top choice.

Fabbri may surprise us all, and I've said plenty about that elsewhere. But I'll reiterate my position: he needs to be playing sheltered minutes as a utility forward, perhaps spelling one of Kyrou or Thomas who will need the same treatment for different reasons. That will give him a chance to regain confidence in his game and put him in a position to succeed, rather than risking re-injury by jumping back into first line minutes.

As for playing rookies in top 6 roles, I'm actually ok with the idea, in the scenario I just described where their minutes are being closely monitored, and they're being cycled into the lineup to better facilitate their acclimation to the faster game and continued development. But as dedicated to this youth movement as the Blues claim to be, I don't see Yeo wanting to take the time to hold the hands of these young players. Also, every time I've penciled in a rough roster that had *any* of our prospects in the top 6, I've been soundly scolded by the peanut gallery for having done so, so I've picked my battles and assumed any rookies who make the squad this year are destined, at least initially, to 3rd line duty.

But back to new acquisitions: the two guys I most want the Blues to acquire, Draisatl and Skinner, aren't likely to be dealt. Acquiring Draisatl will almost certainly take Parayko, who I'm not thrilled about losing, while Skinner would almost certainly require Kyrou, who is also on the short list of players I would be reluctant to trade. But I think both those deals are feasible, if Doug Armstrong has the stomach to back up the claims he's recently made public. And the Blues with Draisatl AND Skinner would be a force to reckon with in the Western Conference, no doubt about it.

O'Reilly is another option who would also be difficult to acquire, and it's doubtful Buffalo will retain any of his salary. It's also unlikely that they have much use for any of the players we might prefer to send back in a package for him. As ideal as he might be for the Blues' needs, I don't think Buffalo is a good trade partner. But stranger things have happened.

Ottowa was digging in at the deadline, wanting one of our coveted prospects for Hoffman, but perhaps they would soften their demands if we agreed to take Ryan and the better part of his salary off their hands. Like Steen, Ryan has lost a step, but he brings other intangibles, and would be a good talented veteran to pair with a rookie center. I also think Ottowa *might* be persuaded to take Allen off our hands, IF Armstrong is inclined to make that happen (not claiming he is).

Obviously, the possibility of signing Tavares factors into all of this. I hope it happens, but not holding my breath. Having an elite LW to play with, like Hoffman or Pacioretty, along with a sniper like Tarasenko, might be what it takes to convince Tavares to sign with the Blues.

So, while Patches isn't my go-to dream acquisition, I think there's a chance he could be had for a more reasonable price than some of the other options on the table. And while his performance last season was unimpressive, I would be willing to bet that playing with Tarasenko (and, dare we say, Tavares?) would help reinvigorate his game.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Since Carolina is in a crisis of being “too soft”, I wonder if they’d take Steen+ for Skinner. More term(for better or worse), better defensively, more physical. He should have a bounce back year this year, seeing as he was thrown around in different roles this past year.

Schwartz-Tavares/TBA-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Schenn-Kyrou
Skinner-Thomas-Berglund
Jaskin-Barbashev-UFA

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think we can agree that the Blues have lots of depth on LW.
I think we can agree that the Blues don't have much reliable quality depth in the top-6. I'm not satisfied with putting a warm body in those roles. And I think I've made clear that, while I'm open to trading for Pacioretty, he's not my top choice.

Fabbri may surprise us all, and I've said plenty about that elsewhere. But I'll reiterate my position: he needs to be playing sheltered minutes as a utility forward, perhaps spelling one of Kyrou or Thomas who will need the same treatment for different reasons. That will give him a chance to regain confidence in his game and put him in a position to succeed, rather than risking re-injury by jumping back into first line minutes.

As for playing rookies in top 6 roles, I'm actually ok with the idea, in the scenario I just described where their minutes are being closely monitored, and they're being cycled into the lineup to better facilitate their acclimation to the faster game and continued development. But as dedicated to this youth movement as the Blues claim to be, I don't see Yeo wanting to take the time to hold the hands of these young players. Also, every time I've penciled in a rough roster that had *any* of our prospects in the top 6, I've been soundly scolded by the peanut gallery for having done so, so I've picked my battles and assumed any rookies who make the squad this year are destined, at least initially, to 3rd line duty.

But back to new acquisitions: the two guys I most want the Blues to acquire, Draisatl and Skinner, aren't likely to be dealt. Acquiring Draisatl will almost certainly take Parayko, who I'm not thrilled about losing, while Skinner would almost certainly require Kyrou, who is also on the short list of players I would be reluctant to trade. But I think both those deals are feasible, if Doug Armstrong has the stomach to back up the claims he's recently made public. And the Blues with Draisatl AND Skinner would be a force to reckon with in the Western Conference, no doubt about it.

O'Reilly is another option who would also be difficult to acquire, and it's doubtful Buffalo will retain any of his salary. It's also unlikely that they have much use for any of the players we might prefer to send back in a package for him. As ideal as he might be for the Blues' needs, I don't think Buffalo is a good trade partner. But stranger things have happened.

Ottowa was digging in at the deadline, wanting one of our coveted prospects for Hoffman, but perhaps they would soften their demands if we agreed to take Ryan and the better part of his salary off their hands. Like Steen, Ryan has lost a step, but he brings other intangibles, and would be a good talented veteran to pair with a rookie center. I also think Ottowa *might* be persuaded to take Allen off our hands, IF Armstrong is inclined to make that happen (not claiming he is).

Obviously, the possibility of signing Tavares factors into all of this. I hope it happens, but not holding my breath. Having an elite LW to play with, like Hoffman or Pacioretty, along with a sniper like Tarasenko, might be what it takes to convince Tavares to sign with the Blues.

So, while Patches isn't my go-to dream acquisition, I think there's a chance he could be had for a more reasonable price than some of the other options on the table. And while his performance last season was unimpressive, I would be willing to bet that playing with Tarasenko (and, dare we say, Tavares?) would help reinvigorate his game.
1st bold: Skinner has been rumored to be moved within the next week....

2nd bold: has anyone actually explained why Buffalo would move their 2c? They would be worse then Stl up the middle of they moved ROR...

3rd bold: Bobby Ryan brings what intangibles? That would be a terrible move by Armstrong to bring him in.
Since Carolina is in a crisis of being “too soft”, I wonder if they’d take Steen+ for Skinner. More term(for better or worse), better defensively, more physical. He should have a bounce back year this year, seeing as he was thrown around in different roles this past year.

Fabbri-Schenn-Kyrou
Skinner-Thomas-Berglund
Jaskin-Barbashev-UFA

You must love to see Steen smile, do you think he's going to waive for Carolina?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
They will sign Bozak for 4 years, 5.2 m per.
I fear you may be right and that terrifies me. I'd rather see Thomas thrown into a #2C role and have Berglund play #3C than to see Bozak in a Blues sweater. Crash and burn this year just to see what we have going forward and wait until the better crop of UFAs hit next season rahter than sign Bozak.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Brian39 did a really good job laying how this isnt tha case.

Given the prospect depth this team has, they can use 1st round picks to acquire current talent.
I was more referring to Blues fans being so amenable to trade 1st round picks for rentals. I guess I just don't share the sense of urgency. There is no need to go in to desperation mode.

Reactions: Colt55

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was more referring to Blues fans being so amenable to trade 1st round picks for rentals. I guess I just don't share the sense of urgency. There is no need to go in to desperation mode.
Depends on the rental...MaxPac is the only rental, and I'd easily pay the 29th for him. Hoffman, Skinner, etc wont be rentals

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Depends on the rental...MaxPac is the only rental, and I'd easily pay the 29th for him. Hoffman, Skinner, etc wont be rentals
There was a proposal in this thread that was Duchene for Fabbri and the 2019 1st. Some Blues fans were amenable, I would absolutely pass. Hard. Duchene would be a rental.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Fabbri-Schenn-Kyrou
Skinner-Thomas-Berglund
Jaskin-Barbashev-UFA
You can't break up schenn schwartz

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I wonder if the Blues would like to solidify the top 6 with a move for:

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk.

As a Habs fan I’d be interested in:

Fabbri
Thompson
Edmundson
1st(WIN)

These are the pieces of interest but what would the blues make as a package for Pacioretty and Galchenyuk maybe throw in one of the Habs 2nd rounder.

I think Pacioretty and Galchenyuk would complete the Blues top 6 drastically and fit it under the cap, They’d go all in for sure as. Their defense still decent even without Edmundson.

If you added Gallagher and took one of our cap dumps (Steen or JBo) , Id think about about. Id even add a nice piece like Barbashev

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Doug Armstrong has been given the ability to spend as much as necessary to acquire center, according to NHL.com. Writer lists Tavares, Stastny, Bozak, Thornton as possibly on radar.

Amazing that a NHL GM has the same information available to any fan.......Armstrong knows who are the upcoming UFA centres are. That Blues management, gosh, they are really sharp.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Amazing that a NHL GM has the same information available to any fan.......Armstrong knows who are the upcoming UFA centres are. That Blues management, gosh, they are really sharp.

The article is a little more about the ownerships commitment to spending to the cap. Not necessarily Armstrong knows the centers available. It's odd to think that it's a big deal for some teams to not have an internal cap but for us it's a pleasant relief that Stillman and his group are willing to although with him it's not exactly a shock and is more or less just extra appreciated. Also nice to know that the focus is more than likely on Tavares.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The article is a little more about the ownerships commitment to spending to the cap.

Yes, I was saying "tongue in cheek" about the known of available of the centre.
One I don't understand about the "internal cap". Teams have pretty set expenses, travel, health, arena, plus the running of their organization and their minor league team. One of the variable expensive is the NHL cap. So if a team spends 70m or 80m, it isn't really that much difference for whole budget. So if ownership really cared about winning, 10m can be sway to being a winning team or a possible miss the playoff teams. And winning fills your arenas, sells more "stuff", gets more money with increase TV ratings and money from playoffs games.
Seems just good economics to spend to the cap....if done wisely, for all the financial rewards having a good/winning team.
PS....I say spending to cap makes economic sense, though I never owned an NHL franchise.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think that trading a 1st for anyone with only one year of team control is almost always a bad move in today's cap climate. If you want to re-sign him and are able to accomplish that task then it can work out alright anyway, but that should never be assumed like it's some sort of given.

Moving a 1st in a deal (with other stuff, obviously) for 3+ years of a good player is probably a pretty reasonable use of the pick if you're trying to win now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00