News: Doug Armstrong given full backing to make splash for center.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
What would the Blues give for Kuznetsov? He's coming off of a solid playoff run and had chemistry with Tarasenko who was his bff in juniors

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I get wanting balanced lines, but Fabbri coming back and playing 1st line minutes all year is just not a solid plan. Schwartz is our 1st line LW. He's a better all-around player, Fabbri had defensive trouble even when he was 100%. Honestly, I'd wanna see Fabbri with the 3rd line and just see if he's healthy/still has his game. A lot of what made him stand out on our 2016 squad was his speed and burst, and who knows where that's gonna be at at this point.

Yeah, but this board isn't exactly logical towards what could actually happen. How many times have we seen a top FA sign and team immediately pivot and turn their 1C? Unlikely is putting it very lightly.
Schwartz and Schenn won't get split up, and rightfully so.

Steen would be the guy with Tavares and Tarasenko.

What would the Blues give for Kuznetsov? He's coming off of a solid playoff run and had chemistry with Tarasenko who was his bff in juniors
A lot. You can probably name your price. No way Washington does that though.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Lets say free agency doesnt pan out. Lets also say that Duchene has decided he does not want to be part of Ottawas rebuild.

Would the Blues trade Fabbri + 2019 1st (top 3 protected) for Duchene?
Maybe if the Blues make the playoffs and Duchene re-signs another small piece like a 3rd is added?
Unlike some of my fellow Blues fans, I would not do this. The problem for me is the 2019 pick. 2019 is projected to be a good draft. We have to stop handing out 1st round picks like candy on Halloween! This is especially true when you factor in Duchene is a one season rental. Maybe if the pick was top 14 (lottery) protected, but even then I'm hesitant.

Reactions: stl76

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I think you're getting too caught up in the semantics of having a "1st line." Schwartz and Schenn were electric together. Makes no sense to split them up. If you add Tavares you play him with Tarasenko and you run your top two lines evenly at 5 on 5. That creates huge problems for matchups from other teams. The overall TOI will work out because Tavares, Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Schenn will get more special teams playing time than Fabbri and Kyrou (or whoever the Blues use as the other two wingers on those lines).

The two Penguins forwards with the most 5 on 5 playing time were Malkin and Crosby, and they obviously weren't playing together.

This isn't the semantics of X line, this is the concern that this guy is coming off a doubly torn ACL can A) just stay healthy and B) keep up with those linemates. Because Tavares and Tank aren't gonna get 1A minutes. Like who cares that Schwartz will play PP and PK more, that doesn't mean that Fabbri can hold up to top line minutes.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This isn't the semantics of X line, this is the concern that this guy is coming off a doubly torn ACL can A) just stay healthy and B) keep up with those linemates. Because Tavares and Tank aren't gonna get 1A minutes. Like who cares that Schwartz will play PP and PK more, that doesn't mean that Fabbri can hold up to top line minutes.

Who knows if he can or not regardless we have about 3-4 rookies who can get their shot to be mainstays. I don't know if you remember watching Schwartz and Schenn pre injury for Schwartz but they were magical together. I get the concern of throwing Jaskin/Sobotka with them but regardless we have young guys chomping at the bit to jump in there. I am comfortably okay with Kyrou playing with Schenn and Schwartz in our system if Tarasenko can find a high caliber center to play with

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Who knows if he can or not regardless we have about 3-4 rookies who can get their shot to be mainstays. I don't know if you remember watching Schwartz and Schenn pre injury for Schwartz but they were magical together. I get the concern of throwing Jaskin/Sobotka with them but regardless we have young guys chomping at the bit to jump in there. I am comfortably okay with Kyrou playing with Schenn and Schwartz in our system if Tarasenko can find a high caliber center to play with

For the love of god, please no Jaskin.

I agree we have great young talent ready to step up. And another poster mentioned Steen. I just think it is very early to throw Fabbri onto such a line. We don't really know what type of player we're getting back. Maybe the guy who left off two years ago, maybe a far less effective player, or anywhere in between.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

We just saw a team win the Cup with an Enforcer on their top line(nothing against Tom Wilson, but we all know he is not a legit top 6 forward).

It's not about Fabbri. In fact, the point has very little to do with Fabbri specifically.
It's about having 2 very high end "pairs" to build the top 2 lines around and then having a pool of players competing for the 3rd spot on those lines. Fabbri is just one option to put in the mix. There is also Steen, Berglund, Jaskin, Barbashev, Soshnikov, Sundqvist, Thompson, Blais, Sanford, Kyrou, Foley, Stevens and Kostin in house; and you know Army is going to grab a Beau Bennett type tweener or two to give SA some leadership.

Quit focusing specifically on Fabbri.
IF you can build the top 2 lines around pairings of Schwartz/Schenn and Tavares/Tarasenko(not to mention Thomas being pretty well inked in as the 3rd line C); the rest of the lineup will take care of itself. We have more than enough internal options to fill the open spots. Fabbri is only being mentioned specifically because he has arguably the highest upside among our pool of filler players. With that kind of skeleton to build around; we could get away with throwing a Barbashev next to Tavares/Tarasenko without worrying that the offense will dry up as a result.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
We just saw a team win the Cup with an Enforcer on their top line(nothing against Tom Wilson, but we all know he is not a legit top 6 forward).

It's not about Fabbri. In fact, the point has very little to do with Fabbri specifically.
It's about having 2 very high end "pairs" to build the top 2 lines around and then having a pool of players competing for the 3rd spot on those lines. Fabbri is just one option to put in the mix. There is also Steen, Berglund, Jaskin, Barbashev, Soshnikov, Sundqvist, Thompson, Blais, Sanford, Kyrou, Foley, Stevens and Kostin in house; and you know Army is going to grab a Beau Bennett type tweener or two to give SA some leadership.

Quit focusing specifically on Fabbri.
IF you can build the top 2 lines around pairings of Schwartz/Schenn and Tavares/Tarasenko(not to mention Thomas being pretty well inked in as the 3rd line C); the rest of the lineup will take care of itself. We have more than enough internal options to fill the open spots. Fabbri is only being mentioned specifically because he has arguably the highest upside among our pool of filler players. With that kind of skeleton to build around; we could get away with throwing a Barbashev next to Tavares/Tarasenko without worrying that the offense will dry up as a result.

You realize most of my posts have been ABOUT my concerns about Fabbri, and you reply saying quit focusing specifically on Fabbri. You're arguing a different point entirely. It's not about the offense drying up if Fabbri goes out, but that I would actually like to see Fabbri play healthy and within his means for us at some point in the future, and part of that means managing his minutes coming back. What Tom Wilson has to do with that is beyond me.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
You realize most of my posts have been ABOUT my concerns about Fabbri, and you reply saying quit focusing specifically on Fabbri. You're arguing a different point entirely. It's not about the offense drying up if Fabbri goes out, but that I would actually like to see Fabbri play healthy and within his means for us at some point in the future, and part of that means managing his minutes coming back. What Tom Wilson has to do with that is beyond me.

The Tom Wilson point is meant to illustrate that you don't necessarily need top 6 forwards at every spot in the top 6.
You can plug a role player into that kind of spot if the rest of the line is strong enough to carry them(and a Tavares/Tarasenko pairing should be able to carry just about anybody).

You're concerned with Fabbri. I get it, and honestly I have an even more pessimistic outlook on him than most. If you want his minutes managed; fine. Put Fabbri on the 3rd line with Berglund and Thomas and put Steen on the Tavares/Tarasenko line. Or go even further and let Fabbri start out on the 4th line with Jaskin. It really doesn't change anything.

It's like Ken Hitchcock used to say; you build your lineup around "pairs" and let the rest of the team compete for the open spots on each line.
At this point, Fabbri clearly isn't a guy you can pencil in as one of your "set pair" type players. The "set pairs" are going to be Schwartz/Schenn, Berglund/Thomas and Vladdy/whomever Army lands at C. Fabbri is in the "compete for an open spot" group. Break him into the lineup wherever you want, manage his time however you want; but he's going to have to earn his way back onto the ice. And with Fabbri, if he's legitimately "earning his time" he will most likely be on the Tarasenko line because that's where his skill will put him.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
The Tom Wilson point is meant to illustrate that you don't necessarily need top 6 forwards at every spot in the top 6.
You can plug a role player into that kind of spot if the rest of the line is strong enough to carry them(and a Tavares/Tarasenko pairing should be able to carry just about anybody).

You're concerned with Fabbri. I get it, and honestly I have an even more pessimistic outlook on him than most. If you want his minutes managed; fine. Put Fabbri on the 3rd line with Berglund and Thomas and put Steen on the Tavares/Tarasenko line. Or go even further and let Fabbri start out on the 4th line with Jaskin. It really doesn't change anything.

It's like Ken Hitchcock used to say; you build your lineup around "pairs" and let the rest of the team compete for the open spots on each line.
At this point, Fabbri clearly isn't a guy you can pencil in as one of your "set pair" type players. The "set pairs" are going to be Schwartz/Schenn, Berglund/Thomas and Vladdy/whomever Army lands at C. Fabbri is in the "compete for an open spot" group. Break him into the lineup wherever you want, manage his time however you want; but he's going to have to earn his way back onto the ice. And with Fabbri, if he's legitimately "earning his time" he will most likely be on the Tarasenko line because that's where his skill will put him.

But we don't know what kind of skill Fabbri still has at this point. Again, one of his biggest strengths (if not the biggest) was his speed and his skating and two torn ACLs is a huge concern there. My point was never that nobody could take that 1st line spot, but that I doubt Fabbri could at this time. I don't know how to spell it out any easier. I doubt he can play those minutes, that role. I don't get the disconnect.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not really. Blues aren't exactly the least appealing team in the league by any means(Looking at you Montreal), but they're certainly not in the top tier either.

They just missed the playoffs, they have a GM who has been a seller at the deadline each of the last 2 seasons, despite his team being in the playoffs.

They dont have good goaltending, and while Tarasenko is great, they dont have a tonne else up front to surround Tavares with.

Not to mention other factors such as travel(Extremely rare to see a player from the East go West in Free Agency), pretty average tax rates, etc. etc.

If winning is his goal, he can find a better fit around the league no doubt.

Tarasenko isnt their only quality forward.

Schenn, Schwartz, Fabbri, with Thomas and Kyrou NHL ready heading into next season.

Add Tavares and thats 7/9 of a really good top 9.

They are already set on D.

Goaltending needs to be upgraded though.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Are the Blues going to be trying Fabbri out for another year or they looking to get value back for him?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Unlike some of my fellow Blues fans, I would not do this. The problem for me is the 2019 pick. 2019 is projected to be a good draft. We have to stop handing out 1st round picks like candy on Halloween! This is especially true when you factor in Duchene is a one season rental. Maybe if the pick was top 14 (lottery) protected, but even then I'm hesitant.
You’re forgetting though that if the 2019 1st and Fabbri is traded in that deal, it likely means we’re keeping our 2018 1st.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Are the Blues going to be trying Fabbri out for another year or they looking to get value back for him?
They love Fabbri but I'd say he's available in the right deal, which would be an impact LW or top 6 center.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Brian39 did a really good job laying how this isnt tha case.

Given the prospect depth this team has, they can use 1st round picks to acquire current talent.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I get wanting balanced lines, but Fabbri coming back and playing 1st line minutes all year is just not a solid plan. Schwartz is our 1st line LW. He's a better all-around player, Fabbri had defensive trouble even when he was 100%. Honestly, I'd wanna see Fabbri with the 3rd line and just see if he's healthy/still has his game. A lot of what made him stand out on our 2016 squad was his speed and burst, and who knows where that's gonna be at at this point.

Yeah, but this board isn't exactly logical towards what could actually happen. How many times have we seen a top FA sign and team immediately pivot and turn their 1C? Unlikely is putting it very lightly.
The reason the lines were balanced like that is because Schwartz and schenn have awesome chemistry together. They will not be separated

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
They love Fabbri but I'd say he's available in the right deal, which would be an impact LW or top 6 center.
That's a huge ask for a player that has missed a full season 42 in his 1st 2 seasons.
IF (& that's the question) he comes back fully recovered he could demand that but the injury history @ that young age doesn't bode well.
Right now he'd be a high risk/high return (if all the stars align) acquisition for any team so they won't gamble a viable, proven player unless in a very bad cap spot.
& remember, as of now they would be trading only for his RFA rights. Probable trade value is near the low end of the 7 picks teams have until traded away.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I really can't see Tavares going to St. Louis.

They're no better than a lot of Eastern Conference teams that will have the money for Tavares.

Both he and his wife are from Toronto. They likely stay in the East, unless a team in California has money to sign him.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
That's a huge ask for a player that has missed a full season 42 in his 1st 2 seasons.
IF (& that's the question) he comes back fully recovered he could demand that but the injury history @ that young age doesn't bode well.
Right now he'd be a high risk/high return (if all the stars align) acquisition for any team so they won't gamble a viable, proven player unless in a very bad cap spot.
& remember, as of now they would be trading only for his RFA rights. Probable trade value is near the low end of the 7 picks teams have until traded away.
I wonder if the Blues would like to solidify the top 6 with a move for:

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk.

As a Habs fan I’d be interested in:

Fabbri
Thompson
Edmundson
1st(WIN)

These are the pieces of interest but what would the blues make as a package for Pacioretty and Galchenyuk maybe throw in one of the Habs 2nd rounder.

I think Pacioretty and Galchenyuk would complete the Blues top 6 drastically and fit it under the cap, They’d go all in for sure as. Their defense still decent even without Edmundson.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It would be a package deal with Fabbri, not him alone

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I wonder if the Blues would like to solidify the top 6 with a move for:

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk.

As a Habs fan I’d be interested in:

Fabbri
Thompson
Edmundson
1st(WIN)

These are the pieces of interest but what would the blues make as a package for Pacioretty and Galchenyuk maybe throw in one of the Habs 2nd rounder.

I think Pacioretty and Galchenyuk would complete the Blues top 6 drastically and fit it under the cap, They’d go all in for sure as. Their defense still decent even without Edmundson.
It wouldn't be. I dont see the Blues any core players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad