Dorion says Sens waived Zack Smith to send message to dressing room

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How did Smith actually play? He seems like a gritty player that plays a tough game.

When he is on his game he is a gritty player. Problem is he hasnt been that player for a while. At one point he was able to find the back of the net, next to some talented players and with some PP time. Honestly I'm not sure whether it's because he doesn't know what kind of player he is anymore or he has simply lost a step but he isnt that gritty player who was relentless. I'm not even sure he is a centre anymore, he hasnt played it much over the past three seasons and when he has he hasnt looked very good. His play last season was very poor, I haven't paid much attention to him in preseason but I and many others were looking forward to him being traded before this season began.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
When he is on his game he is a gritty player. Problem is he hasnt been that player for a while. At one point he was able to find the back of the net, next to some talented players and with some PP time. Honestly I'm not sure whether it's because he doesn't know what kind of player he is anymore or he has simply lost a step but he isnt that gritty player who was relentless. I'm not even sure he is a centre anymore, he hasnt played it much over the past three seasons and when he has he hasnt looked very good. His play last season was very poor, I haven't paid much attention to him in preseason but I and many others were looking forward to him being traded before this season began.
Sounds devastating that he was put on waivers.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Why state it if that was the reason. The reason why he did it was the 2nd dumbest thing he did.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The scenario (or is it Sen-ario) that made sense to me was that there was an off-ice incident or problem with Smith that they didn't want to publicize, so he was put on waivers to handle it with dignity rather than publicly airing his dirty laundry.

But if it had nothing to do with anything like that....?

Then it just looks like Melnyk said, "Get rid of salary" and the GM is doing whatever he can do. No one claimed him, so the 'damage control' is to make this statement about sending a message. But its worse than if he never explained it.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
screen-shot-2018-09-18-at-9-13-55-pm.png

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Dorion says Sens waived Zack Smith to send message to dressing room

"We knew that if we let the team know we are not going to accept what happened last (season), including how Zack played, that hopefully the message would be passed to the room," the club's general manager told TSN's Brent Wallace.

"The wavers will continue until morale improves" :sarcasm:
Im sure it was a move to have some team claim for his contract and has nothing to do with the team and sending a message...

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
To be honest I don't really understand what the posters are laughing at. Yea, maybe Dorion should had kept his mouth shout.

Smith is coming of a basically career worse year (19 points) and was a team worse -32 in +/-. He was waived and he cleared, which speaks volume about his value...

I would understand players and fans getting mad at Dorion if he had some value and they lost him for nothing, but, like many other teams, Ottawa waived a fringe (maybe depth player if he has a comeback year) and fans decided to make a big deal out of nothing....

Simple question for the fans: How many people blaming Dorion would take Smith for free for your team?
then do it last year. Or during the season when he's playing bad. He and the team hasn't played a single game yet. Him clearing says nothing. No team wants a high paid depth player who needs to rebound, during the preseason while they are already cutting down the roster.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad