Dorion says Sens waived Zack Smith to send message to dressing room

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
then do it last year. Or during the season when he's playing bad. He and the team hasn't played a single game yet. Him clearing says nothing. No team wants a high paid depth player who needs to rebound, during the preseason while they are already cutting down the roster.

Didn't he play 2 pre-season games?

But I guess Ottawa waiving a player at the same time as other teams was terrible...There were 32 players waived over the last 2 days....

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Didn't he play 2 pre-season games?

But I guess Ottawa waiving a player at the same time as other teams was terrible...There were 32 players waived over the last 2 days....
They’re a depleted team, especially at center, with no need to lose players. Losing Smith for nothing only hurts the team, and the reason they did it just seems shitty. No way the players will be okay with that happening at all, let alone to a favorite.

The whole team sucked last year, and they’re taking it out on a guy who was never close to their best player to begin with. A loyal player who probably really wants to stay in Ottawa, who has built a life there. That’s an awful motivator.

Even worse is they did it the same year they traded away 2/3 of their top players, as if that’s gonna motivate the team.

Management is basically tanking the team and threatening them if they suck.

Last edited:

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
They’re a depleted team, especially at center, with no need to lose players. Losing Smith for nothing only hurts the team, and the reason they did it just seems ****ty. No way the players will be okay with that happening at all, let alone to a favorite.

The whole team sucked last year, and they’re taking it out on a guy who was never close to their best player to begin with. A loyal player who probably really wants to stay in Ottawa, who has built a life there. That’s an awful motivator.

Even worse is they did it the same year they traded away 2/3 of their top players, as if that’s gonna motivate the team.

Yea, loosing Smith will crush their playoff hopes...

At this point Ottawa does as well with Smith as without him. And while most players played badly last year, Smith took suck-age to a different level.

Again, I would understand if all this was over a good player, or if they lost him for nothing when they could have gotten something for him... But all this over a player clearing waivers? Comeon....

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
can the league force ding dong to sell this team already

new owners and everyone needs to go that had anything to do with this situation
only way that's going to happen is if he breaks rules, or maybe if the players revolt and refuse to play until the league steps in.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
In theory, I 100% understand and agree with what he did.

However, where it falls flat is his team is a complete dumpster fire and will likely be the worst team in the league. It would mean something if an actual perennial contender pulled a move like this to send a message

It's a very Bill Belichick move, but the Senators are closer to the Browns than the Patriots.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

At this point Ottawa does as well with Smith as without him. And while most players played badly last year, Smith took suck-age to a different level.

Again, I would understand if all this was over a good player, or if they lost him for nothing when they could have gotten something for him... But all this over a player clearing waivers? Comeon....
Well, Duchene disagree with you

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah. That guy who signed Zack Smith to that deal is an idiot and shame on Smith for not living up to that deal.

Dorion is absolutely right. What an amazing GM. Too bad no one picked up Smith off waivers so we could save 3 million more dollars.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Well, Duchene disagree with you

IMO that is the bigger issue, the hate between players and management in Ottawa.

Duchene should had kept his mouth closed, IMO he looks foolish right now. His speaking forced Dorion to give a reply...

I am actually a bit surprised that everyone finds it OK for a player to complain that a fringe player gets waived, but terrible that the management waived him... The moment Smith cleared waivers people should had jumped on Duchene not Dorion.

Don't get me wrong, Dorion did a lot (and I mean a lot) of stupid things recently. But now people complain no matter what he does.

Reactions: amethyst

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

It’s not this alone, it’s this after everything else that’s been happening with this team. Melnyk and Co are hardly even pretending to care about their players and fans. It’s not just about how this affects they’re playoff chances; it’s about how a Melnyk and this franchise look shittier and shittier every day. Even if you’re not playing for the Cup that year, you shouldn’t be actively making the year more miserable day by day, players have to suffer through that.

Duchene at the very least was not happy at all with the move. It’s a safe bet other players feel the same way. This move and basically the whole summer, and before.
Management (including Melnyk) is alienating its players.

Players, current and future, will see this behavior and think twice about wanting to play in Ottawa. It’s a bad start to rebuilding a team. They better avoid drafting college players for sure.

Last edited:

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Duchene should had kept his mouth closed, IMO he looks foolish right now. His speaking forced Dorion to give a reply..
Duchene looking like a fool is one of the things he's best at.

Go re-watch his introductory presser for some big laughs

"I love the Avs and Joe Sakic they're my favorite team, but I just had to get out of there. They are YEARS away. I can't do another rebuild. I'm a winner and I play better than my stats say. I've played for Canada so I know what it takes to win. I only have 8-playoff games under my belt and that's not enough."
Pottery.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Duchene looking like a fool is one of the things he's best at.

Go re-watch his introductory presser for some big laughs

"I love the Avs and Joe Sakic they're my favorite team, but I just had to get out of there. They are YEARS away. I can't do another rebuild. I'm a winner and I play better than my stats say. I've played for Canada so I know what it takes to win. I only have 8-playoff games under my belt and that's not enough."
Pottery.

It's impossible to do worse than threatening to relocate your team at a friendly game played by retired Senators on an ice rink on the grounds of Parliament Hill the day before your team plays an outdoor game you have petitioned to get for years.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Was the message that they have no loyalty and will treat you like crap?

Pretty inspiring stuff.....

Nope it was ._.hey look, we gave you millions and not one other team on this planet will pay you, so stop complaining pouting and making more drama in the room.
I hope they finaly break this, " we run the team" attitude that BM let run out of control in the locker room

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Nope it was ._.hey look, we gave you millions and not one other team on this planet will pay you, so stop complaining pouting and making more drama in the room.
I hope they finaly break this, " we run the team" attitude that BM let run out of control in the locker room
That would make more sense if they did it last year. If he was so awful a drunk they were upset about it, wouldn't the logical thing be to address things in private at Tue exit meetings and if that doesn't give well, buy them out.

But no, now they're punishing a guy for his okay last season. At least fake it and say he was unimpressive in camp or something.

Instead the Sens upset their locker on and managed to look petty all at once.

Reactions: Chips

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It's like, we have Marc freaking Bergevin as our General Manager and I still feel bad for the Sens fans.
It's a horror film they are living in.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
sens aren't drawing fans. let's gut the team and spent zippo. get help from other successful teams. I mean if you were winning and no one showed up, might as well spent nothing and break even. just means a sorry excuse for a team

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Matt Duchene's excuse to not sign with Ottawa now. that's his exit strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->