HF Habs: Doom & Gloom: The Outlet Thread

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's easy to say "bookmark it" on this forum, nobody actually bookmarks anything, and old posts get deleted regardless.
That explains the hot takes.

Even when you use the search function, it doesn’t give you the results in chronological or even reverse chronological order and often times there are over ten pages of posts to plough through.

So much for trying to verify anything. Might as well join the herd with your own hot takes!

:m-dance:

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Tell me how Tampa got Point, Kucherov, Gourde, Killorn and many other?
How Boston got Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci, McAvoy, Marchand?
How Carolina got Aho, Necas, Pesce?

It's called development.....and yes, culture (and not the culture that most would think)

That's why I've been saying for years that Montreal is not really ready for a rebuild....always looking for the instant stars, never ready to wait a couple of years to find some

Develop the players as best as possible and either you get stars or get trade value to get one! Vegas did just that, they build value of their players they had and trade for it!
Yeah, rebuild is over. All we need now is to develop a Kucherov, a Point, a Stamkos and a Hedman from within the organization and we can start winning some cups! /s

Development and culture are 2 easy buzzwords they use on sports talk shows, social media and press conferences. Reality is none of us have any clue about what's going on behind the curtain.

What are the positive outcomes of finishing a rebuild without 1 or 2 clear superstars? Either we get extremely lucky and have players go from rags to riches or we're destined for nothing better than the last 30 years.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Yeah, rebuild is over. All we need now is to develop a Kucherov, a Point, a Stamkos and a Hedman from within the organization and we can start winning some cups! /s

Development and culture are 2 easy buzzwords they use on sports talk shows, social media and press conferences. Reality is none of us have any clue about what's going on behind the curtain.

What are the positive outcomes of finishing a rebuild without 1 or 2 clear superstars? Either we get extremely lucky and have players go from rags to riches or we're destined for nothing better than the last 30 years.
A strategy based on luck doesn’t seem so hot.

Reactions: MoneyManny

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016

They, the management and fan base have obviously thrown in the towel on Slafkovsky and washed their hands with him.

They see the writing on the wall. It reads "bust". Slaf just isn't an "impact player" It's clear as day.

Hughes knows it, the habs are plainly moving on from that disastrous pick. :sarcasm:

Good take. :thumbu:

To be fair, I've noticed it now in multiple different interviews since someone on this forum pointed it out. Hughes has mentioned the core of forwards who have a lot of potential moving forward and never once in my listenings/viewings has he mentioned Slafkovsky.

That doesn't mean it's the end of the world or anything, but it's annoying that our GM doesn't even have the faith in his own assessments to stand behind his picks. Slafkovsky was picked 1OA last year and should be an automatic inclusion when discussing the future core and their budding offensive potential at the forward position. It would likely be a conscious decision for Hughes to not mention his 1OA pick, which was also the first pick he's had as GM in the NHL, let alone as Montreal's GM. Arguements could be made about 'lowering expectations' but the very fact the GM might consider the need to do so 1 season out from picking 1OA is slightly worrying.

Using the Reinbacher nonsense, which in my opinion was greatly exacerbated by hack journalists looking for clicks, doesn't pan out. Hughes has given interviews before the nonsense where he excludes Slafkovsky.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He’s not born yet. And he wasn’t born in Kansas.

Kirk's birth date was March 22, 2233, born on a shuttle leaving the doomed starship USS Kelvin

So much ado about a quiche from the future. Only on HF. :sarcasm:

While this is true, putting my Star Trek hat on, the Kirk born on USS Kelvin was an alternate version of Kirk. Prime Kirk was actually born in Iowa, not Kansas.

Alternate, or Kelvin Universe Kirk, and Prime Kirk both were raised in Iowa though.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

It's not because hou don't see the stars in the making that we don't have any.
Instant stars, typical Montreal.

Development is not a buzzword. You guys keep talking about tanking to win the cup.....yet 2 of that last 4 cup winners didn't tank, didn't drafted high to get instant stars. What they all have in common though....they developped good players within their organisation, something you haven't seen in Montreal for more than 15 years precisely because Fans wants instant stars and jump on the players before they even have 2 season under their belt.....you guys would have run MacKinnon out of town really fast. Suzuki has 66 points at his 4th season in the NHL, MacKinnon had 53 points.

But yeah Culture is a buzzword......for those who don't even know what they are talking about and keep saying ''Culture'' to criticize management.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
While this is true, putting my Star Trek hat on, the Kirk born on USS Kelvin was an alternate version of Kirk. Prime Kirk was actually born in Iowa, not Kansas.

Alternate, or Kelvin Universe Kirk, and Prime Kirk both were raised in Iowa though.
As a fellow Trek fan, I'll add that in neither universe did the Habs end up drafting a PPG player.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's not because hou don't see the stars in the making that we don't have any.
Instant stars, typical Montreal.

Development is not a buzzword. You guys keep talking about tanking to win the cup.....yet 2 of that last 4 cup winners didn't tank, didn't drafted high to get instant stars. What they all have in common though....they developped good players within their organisation, something you haven't seen in Montreal for more than 15 years precisely because Fans wants instant stars and jump on the players before they even have 2 season under their belt.....you guys would have run MacKinnon out of town really fast. Suzuki has 66 points at his 4th season in the NHL, MacKinnon had 53 points.

But yeah Culture is a buzzword......for those who don't even know what they are talking about and keep saying ''Culture'' to criticize management.
I agree with you in principle. We're terrible at judging player development, just like we're clueless about other intangibles like leadership and culture. These qualities are huge in an athlete's progress, but because we can't see or count them, they get glossed over.

That said, you can only develop a player to the limits of his talent. Without elite talent, all the development and culture in the world won't create a contending hockey team. We haven't drafted a superstar in decades and – on the surface – we still haven't. The Habs look like they have an upcoming core of young, solid players who may make the playoffs but won't match up to the top contenders. Hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully the scouts are smarter than us and Slafkovsky, Hutson, Dach, etc. are future stars who will make us eat crow in a few years. But until that happens, we've earned some pessimism.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
To be fair, I've noticed it now in multiple different interviews since someone on this forum pointed it out. Hughes has mentioned the core of forwards who have a lot of potential moving forward and never once in my listenings/viewings has he mentioned Slafkovsky.

That doesn't mean it's the end of the world or anything, but it's annoying that our GM doesn't even have the faith in his own assessments to stand behind his picks. Slafkovsky was picked 1OA last year and should be an automatic inclusion when discussing the future core and their budding offensive potential at the forward position. It would likely be a conscious decision for Hughes to not mention his 1OA pick, which was also the first pick he's had as GM in the NHL, let alone as Montreal's GM. Arguements could be made about 'lowering expectations' but the very fact the GM might consider the need to do so 1 season out from picking 1OA is slightly worrying.

Using the Reinbacher nonsense, which in my opinion was greatly exacerbated by hack journalists looking for clicks, doesn't pan out. Hughes has given interviews before the nonsense where he excludes Slafkovsky.

Where are guys getting they've lost faith in Slafkovsky? Hughes 1st thing he said about Slaf when he drafted him, was we didn't expect him to be the best player right away but rather 5 years from now. Furthermore the guy I was responding to, suggests that they've lost faith in Slaf's ability to be an impact player, which is silly, because, it again, was one of the deciding factors in drafting him in the first place. Watching him in the olympics and world championships clearly shows the type of "impact" he's capable of.

The reason Hughes doesn't bring up Slafkovsky in regards to being one of the offensive players that hab fans should immediately rely on, is because he himself, doesn't want Slafkovsky to be focusing in on that. It is part in parcel why they kept him up in the NHL in the first place.

Why did Canadiens' Slafkovsky stay in NHL? Kent Hughes gave some insight.

"He started by stating that development decisions are made case by case, specific to personalities and abilities, and that there’s no universal way to develop a player. It was a point he reiterated towards the end of his availibility, saying “development comes in many colours.”

Specific to the shades they’ve chosen for Slafkovsky, Hughes ventured into a deep-winded analogy of what it takes to undo certain habits in order to build new ones in a hockey environment, explaining that was the critical first step the Canadiens knew they’d have to embark on with the young Slovak, whose main challenge would be adapting to the North American game after exclusively playing the European one before arriving in Montreal."

Hughes said they’re working with Slafkovsky “to help him understand how he can be most successful in North America,” and explained that it was a step-by-step process to alter his muscle memory. He said that, over this first step, there’s been zero emphasis placed on the player’s production as a measure of his success."

“When we speak of Slaf, he needs to learn how to define his game,” Hughes said. “He has natural talent, and everyone sees it. He’s physically special, too. He’s so strong. For him, there are certain aspects of the game he needs to understand and add so he can become the best player possible.”

The other reasons Hughes kept Slafkovsky in Montreal were that he wanted to keep close tabs on him and wanted coach Martin St. Louis and director of development Adam Nicholas to oversee this critical stage of his development versus sending him to the AHL, where the emphasis would be more on scoring.

Hughes is continuously down playing emphasis on offensive production with Slafkovsky for developmental reasons, they know he's a project and patience is the key. It's bad enough they've lost important development time due to him only being able to play 39 games last year because of his injury.

This however in NO WAY suggest they've lost faith in their choice, or don't feel he'll have an offensive impact on this team or otherwise in the future.

The only thing annoying as you put it, is that this even has to be explained.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Where are guys getting they've lost faith in Slafkovsky? Hughes 1st thing he said about Slaf when he drafted him, was we didn't expect him to be the best player right away but rather 5 years from now. Furthermore the guy I was responding to, suggests that they've lost faith in Slaf's ability to be an impact player, which is silly, because, it again, was one of the deciding factors in drafting him in the first place. Watching him in the olympics and world championships clearly shows the type of "impact" he's capable of.

The reason Hughes doesn't bring up Slafkovsky in regards to being one of the offensive players that hab fans should immediately rely on, is because he himself, doesn't want Slafkovsky to be focusing in on that. It is part in parcel why they kept him up in the NHL in the first place.

Why did Canadiens' Slafkovsky stay in NHL? Kent Hughes gave some insight.

"He started by stating that development decisions are made case by case, specific to personalities and abilities, and that there’s no universal way to develop a player. It was a point he reiterated towards the end of his availibility, saying “development comes in many colours.”

Specific to the shades they’ve chosen for Slafkovsky, Hughes ventured into a deep-winded analogy of what it takes to undo certain habits in order to build new ones in a hockey environment, explaining that was the critical first step the Canadiens knew they’d have to embark on with the young Slovak, whose main challenge would be adapting to the North American game after exclusively playing the European one before arriving in Montreal."

Hughes said they’re working with Slafkovsky “to help him understand how he can be most successful in North America,” and explained that it was a step-by-step process to alter his muscle memory. He said that, over this first step, there’s been zero emphasis placed on the player’s production as a measure of his success."

“When we speak of Slaf, he needs to learn how to define his game,” Hughes said. “He has natural talent, and everyone sees it. He’s physically special, too. He’s so strong. For him, there are certain aspects of the game he needs to understand and add so he can become the best player possible.”

The other reasons Hughes kept Slafkovsky in Montreal were that he wanted to keep close tabs on him and wanted coach Martin St. Louis and director of development Adam Nicholas to oversee this critical stage of his development versus sending him to the AHL, where the emphasis would be more on scoring.

Hughes is continuously down playing emphasis on offensive production with Slafkovsky for developmental reasons, they know he's a project and patience is the key. It's bad enough they've lost important development time due to him only being able to play 39 games last year because of his injury.

This however in NO WAY suggest they've lost faith in their choice, or don't feel he'll have an offensive impact on this team or otherwise in the future.

The only thing annoying as you put it, is that this even has to be explained.

This is very interesting. Thanks.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Nope but his career high will be 75pts. Bookmark it.
75 is fine for a 1st line center providing you can do it more than once or twice in your career and you are good defensively.

The problem is way too many guys around here take a career year and make it the norm like Koivu hitting 75 points in 2006-2007 and then all of a sudden he was a 70 points player.

Consistency is key in this league specially for top 6 players. Guys like Skinner look good on paper but that's about it imo.

Reactions: Rapala

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well, that makes two of you I think.

But I spend my entire life on here and I don't see these screenshots, I guess that the two of you are kind and forgiving.

Haven't you heard? I'm an egomaniac!

The bookmark function is tedious anyway or maybe I'm not using it properly. If the bookmark is from a closed thread, you can't simply prompt the post and quote it. Have to copypaste the username, seperately copypaste the text, then seperately copypaste the quote ID# and then maybe something else I've forgot.

Screenshots are simply quicker to use, but have the opposite problem. While your bookmarks has a ledger with notes that make things easier to find, you can get lost in a thousand screenshots where all you have to go on is the date and a small preview which you kinda, sorta, get to see the username.

So, to finish this post, I want to thank you DAC. Your reply piqued my curiosity. I had to go check and voilà, almost a gigabyte added in memory as I deleted almost the entirety of it.

Edit: I saw and kept Genesis76's total meltdown against Lafleur that a few witnessed.
RIP Genesis76 :biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad